X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
    Enjoying it? I have been listening this evening, but am now quitting due to endless syrupy encores by operatic (darling!) sopranos with lush strings.

The crowd seem to love it!
    Hamburger definitely not to my taste! I've heard Ms Damrau before and not been taken and tonight was no different. Her Eternal Light didn't do well after the one from Utrecht the previous hour.I think it was a case of you had to be there because as you say the audience was evidently happy.
    There has been some good stuff, although this year's offering is not as good I think as previous years - and I could do without Sean Rafferty plugging his "Christmas Party" on the hour.
    The Britten A Ceremony of Carols from Prague, sung by a children's choir, I very much enjoyed. Copenhagen chose to go for "modern British repertoire", including more Britten, which was perhaps somewhat unexpected but well done I thought.
    I shall not be staying to the end - the music and the performers in the last hour are not something I can cope with at that time of night.

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Having just checked North Wilts precipation over the last 24 hours - 16 mm, ie rather damp - I was surprised to come across Ms Damrau on our weather channel, but for the record her Hamburg concert was also not to my taste. We did enjoy her in Wolf Italian songbook with Mr Kaufmann at the Barbican a few years ago. I also enjoyed the Prague Ceremony of Carols.

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Rain!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Having just checked North Wilts precipation over the last 24 hours - 16 mm, ie rather damp - I was surprised to come across Ms Damrau on our weather channel, but for the record her Hamburg concert was also not to my taste. We did enjoy her in Wolf Italian songbook with Mr Kaufmann at the Barbican a few years ago. I also enjoyed the Prague Ceremony of Carols.
          Yes it was OT, apologies, but it was getting late and I couldn't face trying to find previous thread or construct a new one!
          As expected a soggy morning to wake up to, but so far not actually raining. Mild but very windy, and the quantity of standing water will make errands in town a case of trying to avoid drenchings by careless vehicle drivers.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            Yes it was OT, apologies, but it was getting late and I couldn't face trying to find previous thread or construct a new one!
            As expected a soggy morning to wake up to, but so far not actually raining. Mild but very windy, and the quantity of standing water will make errands in town a case of trying to avoid drenchings by careless vehicle drivers.

And this may be the weather channel, but it is [M&S-type voiceover]the Radio 3 weather channel[/M&S-type voiceover]!

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Somewhat milder outdoors than in, or so it felt this morning. Narrowly avoided the rain, which started about ten minutes after I got back from my walk. Ice was melting from the ceilings of bridges and dripping... I am relieved it is less cold.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

After overnight washing by heavy rain/temp rise, not a single grain or twinkle of any snow or frost - Voila!
                Gone in one night

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

One very wet day! It didn't quite reach the 14 C forecast,and was/still is pretty windy.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    One very wet day! It didn't quite reach the 14 C forecast,and was/still is pretty windy.
                    Got up to 13 yesterday and stayed there overnight until the sun and rain arrived this morning at 7am when it has now dropped below 10. The house felt chilly all day yesterday (although only a degree or so down on where I often have it)and I was glad to have the woodburner on in the evening. A shop in town I visit for refills of various household items has recently moved to a very good site for footfall but the building is very old and yesterday they were at the stage of thinking they would leave the door open as it was so much less cold outside than in! Damp cold is not nice. The sun is winning out here and with luck should stay all day, and dry.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I think it rained for a short while, earlier on this morning but can see some blue sky!!!
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Went to Service of Nine Lessons and Carols last night in an isolated, unheated (except for candles) country church. It was freezing inside - 11°C outside!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Actual warmth detectable from the sun first thing this afternoon, despite tomorrow being midwinter's day - almost springlike. The forecasters are thrashing about in trying to get a fix on the weather over Christmas: the BBC is predicting a return of cold weather to as far south as north Wales and the north Midlands, only not as cold as last week - cold enough for sleet at low levels, however. The south remains balmy until Boxing Day, pretty much, and wet.
                          Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 20-12-22, 16:36.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Feels quite mild today but with heavy cloud. I think we are going to get showers.
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

A golden sunrise and not too much cloud has suddenly flipped to heavy rain, given extra effect by a gusty breeze. The weather map suggests it could be around for a while. Tiresome, as although I wasn't intending to do any actual volunteer gardening this morning I had hoped to do a wander round to see what's been happening during the cold weather when I couldn't get in, due to illness and/ or adverse conditions. The site will be shut down for the next 3 weeks so this is the last chance for a while to make notes abut what needs doing when we return and also see friends and colleagues to pass on season's greetings. Oh well, either I just wrap up and go anyway, or hope it clears up a bit in a while.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Quite mild again, today. Rather cloudy. Myself, I’m rather under the weather, from yesterday.
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X