X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
    -1C today. Sunny. At least we have heating now!!!!
    So pleased you have heating again BBM, fingers crossed you don't have any further blips.
    Another hard frost here overnight, but sun getting through in good time has got temps above freezing. However the clouds are now massing for wintry showers which could well be snow, so I must get organised to get the shopping done before lunch rather than after as I had originally planned.

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Chilly, frost still on the ground, but bright blue skies and solar panels working full tilt (battery at 95%!).
      Heating problems estate wide (district heating) but we've mostly escaped the worst: the house didn't get down below 17C at night even with no heat (thermostat night setting is 15C).

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Late night shopping event up here and street temp is -10C!!!! Dry and ............. Phew!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

It just pipped above freezing for a short while this afternoon, but only here halfway up the hill - down nearer the S Circular no sign of any leakage around compacted snow patches. I was surprised to find the temperature had dropped to -2C on returning from my afternoon stroll.

I've posted someone's youtube of crowds out "enjoying" Sunday's snow in the West End on the "Winter" thread.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Yes, up here, earlier, some glorious winter sun, but as soon as it got to around 4 p.m., the temp seemed to be in free fall.
            By 5-ish, it was serious, and by 8............. so biting that I had to come home. Ouch!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

From about midday the temp was above freezing here - but it didn't feel like it at all. The combination of a brisk NW breeze and a few small attempts at snow made it very raw and perishing cold. I admit I was more than a little susceptible, having spent several days indoors with a temperature, but the reactions of others around me suggested that wasn't the only factor. Due to be another very cold night, but should be mostly free of fog etc

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Still minus 1.5C here after temperature dropped to - 5C last night - the midday reading of -2C has to be the lowest I've recorded for quite a number of years. Tonight looks to be another cold 'un, but with temps rising above freezing tomorrow it will feel springlike in any sunshine. Monday's expectation of +14C will feel like a heatwave! I think they may have overestimated there: the ground will still be cold although thawed. Next week stays on the mild, wet and windy side until Friday - apart from Scotland, remaining in the cold sector. After that things look more problematic, with the Atlantic jet once more looping south and high pressure once more possibly blocking down from the north - but that's a way off.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Temperature rose above freezing for the first time in a week here today - 4 degrees C - triggering the start of a slow thaw which will accelerate tomorrow as milder winds blow in from the Bay of Biscay, heralding a week of mild Atlantic weather already announced by high cloud ahead of the associated fronts. Always sad to watch the ending of a beautiful snow scene, but at least I won't need to sit in here in my overcoat!

Final big shopping spree for groceries before Christmas this morning - from now to New Year it will just be for items such as milk and bread.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Stunning sunrise this morning, enhanced by a high waffle-texture cloud blanket moving across that caught the blue, grey and orange-pink colours. I don't think it was necessary to know anything about weather to understand that perhaps change is on the way!
                    Heavy rain expected later could be a problem as the ground is rock solid so can't absorb anything - it was about -4 last night. Water over ice isn't a good combination for traction either.
                    Now to get dressed, get the wood in for tonight, and settle down for the Christmas around Europe day.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I think we either have sleet or rain?!?!?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Rain and more rain here - need a drop more for Collyford Reservoir currently 27.1% to be 30% by end of year for SW Water to give us a £30 reward for limiting our water use. What’s the betting it will be somewhere between 29.5 and 29.9?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Similar impressive sky first thing here to that reported by oddoneout, and it took all morning for the rain to arrive. Now temperature is nearly 3C as darkness closes in, but absence of sunshine into the south-facing side of the building has left it colder even than the last few days, especially noticeable on picking up objects such as crockery. Suspecting it could well be dangerous underfoot I have not ventured outside today; instead been watching Adam Curtis' 2007 series What Happened to our Idea of Freedom? - amazed at its accurately predicting so much that has gone wrong with "Western civilisation" since the 1980s, in particular, especially today's establishments' fetishisation of algorhythms. This deserves repeated viewing in order to absorb all the factors germane to the evolving situation, and the more I go back to it, the more convinced I am that it is one of the most important and penetrating analyses for rendering intelligible what the Powers That Be have inflicted on us all.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

After a rather tentative start the bad weather has really set in now - increasing wind and rain, and the temperature has risen, although the wet and wind mean that the latter will not be felt as much as would otherwise be expected. Earlier the combination of wet over ice was not pleasant when I went to sort out water for the birds and empty the compost caddy - my stick with the pointy metal ferrule was used to good effect. So far the forecast for Monday isn't as wet as originally suggested so perhaps I'll be able to get out for a walk - although the stick will still be needed for mud over frozen ground. Walking round town should be OK though.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              After a rather tentative start the bad weather has really set in now - increasing wind and rain, and the temperature has risen, although the wet and wind mean that the latter will not be felt as much as would otherwise be expected. Earlier the combination of wet over ice was not pleasant when I went to sort out water for the birds and empty the compost caddy - my stick with the pointy metal ferrule was used to good effect. So far the forecast for Monday isn't as wet as originally suggested so perhaps I'll be able to get out for a walk - although the stick will still be needed for mud over frozen ground. Walking round town should be OK though.
                              Yes, steady very cold rain has really set in for the duration down here - still a few remaining compacted snow patches on footpaths making for caution along unlit stretches just now. Since I am now without spin dryer simple indoor alternatives to the washing line have been necessary!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Stunning sunrise this morning, enhanced by a high waffle-texture cloud blanket moving across that caught the blue, grey and orange-pink colours. I don't think it was necessary to know anything about weather to understand that perhaps change is on the way!
                                Heavy rain expected later could be a problem as the ground is rock solid so can't absorb anything - it was about -4 last night. Water over ice isn't a good combination for traction either.
                                Now to get dressed, get the wood in for tonight, and settle down for the Christmas around Europe day.
                                Enjoying it? I have been listening this evening, but am now quitting due to endless syrupy encores by operatic (darling!) sopranos with lush strings.

The crowd seem to love it!

Comment

Working...
                                X