X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    A tiresomely leaky day, the more so as daytime rain wasn't initially on the cards. The clouds couldn't get it together to rain properly, just dribbled, so we had intermittent bouts of drizzle, some very wet, off and on throughout. It got noticeably colder from midday on despite the sun making a few brief appearances and not too much breeze. Tomorrow is looking distinctly unappealing, with not only rain but also a lot of cold wind.
    Much the same story here - this was why I chose today rather than tomorrow to do my weekly trip to one of the local supermarkets.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Much the same story here - this was why I chose today rather than tomorrow to do my weekly trip to one of the local supermarkets.
      I was fortunate that by the time I was able to get out the drippage was minimal and the sun was out, so wandering round the market and through town to get a few bits and pieces was a pleasure. Tomorrow should have been a bus trip to the Tesco/Aldi/Lidl triumvirate, but will likely be upgraded to a big shop(stock up on Christmas goodies) with car - my shopping trolley has limited capacity especially when it comes to bottles of drink... I'll still get wet possibly but it'll be from the car to shop and back across the car park rather than standing at the bus stop hoping the bus won't be delayed.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

The clammy cold has truly arrived here, as expected, with a max temperature not exceeding 6C today: washing collected still wet from the washing line 6 hours after being put up, followed by the briefest of afternoon ambles, just to get the circulation working. Thursday onwards appears to take us into a very cold régime, with temperatures not exceeding 1C - and that will be for further down the hill, so I would expect freezing here - and the first prospects this winter of overnight frost and some snow.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          The clammy cold has truly arrived here, as expected, with a max temperature not exceeding 6C today: washing collected still wet from the washing line 6 hours after being put up, followed by the briefest of afternoon ambles, just to get the circulation working. Thursday onwards appears to take us into a very cold régime, with temperatures not exceeding 1C - and that will be for further down the hill, so I would expect freezing here - and the first prospects this winter of overnight frost and some snow.
          It was dull and raw here today, much as expected but Saturday was something of a bonus. The forecast changed so much in such a short time - rain all day, dry all day and all degrees between - that in the end I just dressed for rain, set off in the sun, and decided to see what happened. The morning amble was fine - cold but dry and sunny, and the sun stayed through the afternoon and ended the day with a pastel sunset. It brought home how much shorter the daylight hours seem when it is murky at the end of the day and there isn't that lovely twilight to ease you into the dark hours ahead.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

< dull and raw >

Same here, + north-easterlies just beginning. Forecast looks nasty. 3C already.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              < dull and raw >

Same here, + north-easterlies just beginning. Forecast looks nasty. 3C already.
              Due here in the early hours, with rain due to follow shortly after. Not an appealing start to the week.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Grey, grey, grey!!!!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Sunshine and showers with a side order of brisk NE breeze. I did OK with my fresh air plus errands outing though - a few spots of rain, mostly sunny, the breeze didn't really get going until close to midday, and the rain proper started just after I got home.
                  I don't know how much more they've got to do (they started last week)but there are workmen on top of the watertower up the road cleaning the domed top; not a nice place to be in such conditions.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Yes! SLEET is here - temp 3C, NE 'breeze' [ breeze? huh! as bloomin' if!]

Comment

• Sir Velo
                      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      Due here in the early hours, with rain due to follow shortly after. Not an appealing start to the week.
                      Forecast here, according to both the AccuWeather and iphone apps, of no rain for at least the next 10 days!

So, hang on a moment, what's that wet stuff falling from the sky?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

As the song says, Baby it’s cold outside……
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

3C here. NE wind. Greyish. Crikey!

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                            Forecast here, according to both the AccuWeather and iphone apps, of no rain for at least the next 10 days!

So, hang on a moment, what's that wet stuff falling from the sky?
                            Figment of your imagination dear boy!
                            End of last week talk was of this week being dry, which would have been welcome after all the rain. However that started to go west on Saturday and today will be another sunshine (bit of, if we're lucky) and showers as yesterday. The air movement has swung round to NW rather than NE and is minimal at present so not feeling as cold as might otherwise be the case.
                            The arrival of such cold weather is not good news for our choir concert on Sunday which is being held in the cheerless, facility-less, acoustically poor, bitterly cold parish church. We were assured some years ago that we wouldn't do a winter concert in there again after a particularly bad experience, but here we are... Tough on the choir, a shock to visiting musicians, difficult for the audience - pews shoved too close together during a poor refit decades ago (not chairs), but they do have access to warm pipes to put feet on, assuming the heating is working. At least this time we only have piano/organ accompaniment so not the worries about struggling instrumentalists;the accompanist knows what to expect - been there, done that etc..
                            In the early 70's, while still an orchestra rather than choir musician I experienced the "fun" of playing in unheated, badly lit churches (on one memorable occasion running around outside in the snow to warm up...), so to be doing rather too much the same 50 years later is...erm...dispiriting.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                              • Nov 2010

Wind has turned to a northerly out there. Bright, beautiful with a dusting of white on the Cat Law this morning. Forecast yesterday of 'yellow snow warning'...as Frank Zappa may have said, don't eat that!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
                                Wind has turned to a northerly out there. Bright, beautiful with a dusting of white on the Cat Law this morning. Forecast yesterday of 'yellow snow warning'...as Frank Zappa may have said, don't eat that!

4.5 degrees C at 12 noon today - 2 degrees down on yesterday. Still at least the murk has cleared, for now, the sun's heat focussed onto the back of my sofa has warmed up the lounge nicely, and the refuse team has picked up my extra disposables - 2 stereo units, a DVD player and an ageing spin dryer (goodbye faithful friend of 30 years!).

Comment

Working...
                                X