X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    A derailleur derailment that derailed your plans. I well remember the mucky joys of disentangling the set on my bike and like you I have experienced the thrill of departing through the side door, as they used to say of mount to manege mishaps at the riding stables where my daughter worked. The one time it got completely jammed I was fortunately only a short distance from home and had nothing in the panniers so I could carry it.

Yes, has all the makings of an S_A pun doesn't it...
    ...the derailleur that derailed yer

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      Would have been an ideal day for a ride today, except my derailleur is b*ggered. Yesterday for inexplicable reasons it suddenly got caught in the back wheel,
      I suspect you will need a whole new rear mech. Unfortunately, once the mech is bent it's basically history. There are several reasons why the derailleur would have hit the spokes, ranging from an incorrectly adjusted limit screw to a previously bent hanger or cage or pulley.

As you say, you basically had a lucky escape and an example of why one should always inspect one's bike before every ride.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
        Yes, has all the makings of an S_A pun doesn't it...
        ...the derailleur that derailed yer
        I was unable to reply to this as I was in the wrong gear.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
          I suspect you will need a whole new rear mech. Unfortunately, once the mech is bent it's basically history. There are several reasons why the derailleur would have hit the spokes, ranging from an incorrectly adjusted limit screw to a previously bent hanger or cage or pulley.

As you say, you basically had a lucky escape and an example of why one should always inspect one's bike before every ride.
          Yes I expect you're right. I took the bike up to the local shop first thing this morning and they'll have it ready, if not today, then Monday. I also informed the man about the top five gears not working for some time. You either need the right sort of clamping device to tighten the cable enough while fitting to give sufficient pull, or an assistant on hand to do the necessary grasping and pulling!

Medium and high level cloud is gradually increasing now, heralding the next cold front, expected to cross the region later today. Feels milder than the 11 C showing on my thermometer.

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Feels milder than the 11 C showing on my thermometer.
            Yes indeed. I set off on my walk without a jacket and ended up removing my cardigan! I'd say that for a late November day this is unprecedented, but then I suspect I'd said similar things on certain days in the past few winters we've had.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

More wet stuff, today!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

First day in a while that the solar panels have produced more than the merest trickle: 2500W just now, so dishwasher put on (eco cycle, of course ).

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Dry, mild, and a fair amount of sunshine, but the payback comes later tonight with rain and strong winds. More rain expected during Sunday, but if, as is forecast, it's patchy I might be able to get out to do more tidying in the garden - clearing summer containers and putting overwintering pots somewhere sheltered. I disturbed two frogs under a bucket while tidying this afternoon which is a reminder that I need to finish it quickly so that they and other critturs can get hunkered down for the winter without being disturbed again.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
                    First day in a while that the solar panels have produced more than the merest trickle: 2500W just now, so dishwasher put on (eco cycle, of course ).
                    Fabulous news, Pulcie! Raining down here, again!
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Cooler than yesterday but still nonetheless went out for a walk sans jacket and still ended up taking off cardigan!

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                        Cooler than yesterday but still nonetheless went out for a walk sans jacket and still ended up taking off cardigan!
                        Overcast but dry after yet more rain last night.
                        Did a 10 k trail run today out on Salisbury Plain, which was extremely wet and muddy, with an endless succession of very deep puddles to negotiate. Definitely a day for those with appropriate technique and excellent balance, which group wouldn’t include me !! Fun though.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Overcast but dry after yet more rain last night.
                          Did a 10 k trail run today out on Salisbury Plain, which was extremely wet and muddy, with an endless succession of very deep puddles to negotiate. Definitely a day for those with appropriate technique and excellent balance, which group wouldn’t include me !! Fun though.
                          Appropriate technique?..

...Wellies, perhaps?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

A mixed bag, today?
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Some very atmospheric and attractive scenes on my walk this morning owing to a combination of mist and sun - with a lack of cloud too.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Greying up here from the SW - must be one of those "light showers" they didn't predict for the London area this morning.

Putin's ballooning double high pressure system swells out westwards from tomorrow for as long as anybody can see, bringing a foretaste of the La Niña winter some on UKWW have ruefully been predicting since August, while others look forward to it as a seasonal ecological necessity: it's already putting Ukraine into the deep freezer.

Comment

Working...
                                X