Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

It was, as I realised on getting home, only 8C this morning when I cycled down to the shops, and I realised that I was starting to acclimatize to temperatures nearer to those registered as average in our winter clime. maybe that's because I've kept the heating off to toughen myself up, hopefully, until last evening when the temperature inside fell to 15C. Not sure this is doing the 77-year old me much good, but I remember us picking up Granddad from his rambling 15th century Suffolk home in January 1963, that infamous winter, and bringing him to stay at ours for a couple of months. He was 88 by then - we'd found him living without heating in sub-zero (celsius) conditions - he wasn't even wearing a coat: one of the radiators had burst and there was a glacier hanging from the broken connection to an ice puddle on the carpet. Granddad lasted another five years; they certainly made 'em tough in them days.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      It was, as I realised on getting home, only 8C this morning when I cycled down to the shops, and I realised that I was starting to acclimatize to temperatures nearer to those registered as average in our winter clime. maybe that's because I've kept the heating off to toughen myself up, hopefully, until last evening when the temperature inside fell to 15C. Not sure this is doing the 77-year old me much good, but I remember us picking up Granddad from his rambling 15th century Suffolk home in January 1963, that infamous winter, and bringing him to stay at ours for a couple of months. He was 88 by then - we'd found him living without heating in sub-zero (celsius) conditions - he wasn't even wearing a coat: one of the radiators had burst and there was a glacier hanging from the broken connection to an ice puddle on the carpet. Granddad lasted another five years; they certainly made 'em tough in them days.
      Those intent on not turning the heating on should read this: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63602501

As one who feels the cold more than some I will not compromise on heating and that article shows why.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Started off with rain, but the sun has come out. Lovely blue sky.
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

I managed to get caught out by a lightish shower on my walk this afternoon, having been misled by what appeared to be just an approaching bank of thick stratocumulus, which turned out to have embedded cumulonimbus within it. Cloud types are not always as easily identifiable in winter, when lower layers are less defined and more ragged, and block out possibly important stuff going on higher up that can provide clues. Impressive convection on display for only 8C at the surface, indicative of forcing - winds pushing into the calm zone behind this morning's occlusion (which brought torrential rain here for five minutes). Dramatic anvil clouds illuminated pink and orange by the setting sun. Fortunately, washing on the line is just damp, not sopping wet as last week.

Just as well I took my exercise today - tomorrow looks likely to be a staying in kind of day. A changeable week ahead, temperatures a little higher than today's.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

I managed to get caught out by a lightish shower on my walk this afternoon, having been misled by what appeared to be just an approaching bank of thick stratocumulus, which turned out to have embedded cumulonimbus within it. Cloud types are not always as easily identifiable in winter, when lower layers are less defined and more ragged, and block out possibly important stuff going on higher up that can provide clues. Impressive convection on display for only 8C at the surface, indicative of forcing - winds pushing into the calm zone behind this morning's occlusion (which brought torrential rain here for five minutes). Dramatic anvil clouds illuminated pink and orange by the setting sun. Fortunately, washing on the line is just damp, not sopping wet as last week.

Just as well I took my exercise today - tomorrow looks likely to be a staying in kind of day. A changeable week ahead, temperatures a little higher than today's.
            Currently tomorrow morning looks OK, if perishing cold, for getting out for errands, and possibly putting washing out. What doesn't appeal is that I have an afternoon meeting at the Library and it's due to be chucking down right through the times I will be walking there and back, and only marginally less cold. Perhaps I should view it as a chance to try out how well it performs as a designated Warm Place if I get wet on the way down...

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Mixed weather today but predominantly cloudy.
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Grey, 5C here. truly icy SE wind rising.
                Last edited by DracoM; 21-11-22, 16:19.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Rather cold (8 degrees right now), and expecting it to be wet for much of the say as an occluded depression dawdles its way across the country, switching winds round to a polar-originating south westerly. A stay indoors day.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

A lovey day today. A yellow round object is visible, up in the sky! Makes you feel happy
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

Rather cold (8 degrees right now), and expecting it to be wet for much of the say as an occluded depression dawdles its way across the country, switching winds round to a polar-originating south westerly. A stay indoors day.
                      8 degrees here too - pleasantly warm outside, I thought - compared with yesterday, anyway!

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                        8 degrees here too - pleasantly warm outside, I thought - compared with yesterday, anyway!
                        Much less cold overnight, well above freezing, but very wet, and a soggy start to the day. It should stay dry now until tomorrow morning, and the wind has dropped,but the continued grey and damp make it feel chillier outside than it actually is.
                        Not an issue one way or the other for me today as I've either got the 4th coming of the bug that's been bothering me for weeks or I've managed to get a new one. Really annoying as I'd been due to visit a friend who has been out of action recently with several health issues so really doesn't want the risk of another infection - even if this morning's test indicates it isn't covid.
                        So glad I'm fortunate enough not to have to worry about putting the heating on (admittedly on very low and only part of the house, but that suffices) during the day, but a horrid reminder of the hundreds of thousands not in that position.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          Much less cold overnight, well above freezing, but very wet, and a soggy start to the day. It should stay dry now until tomorrow morning, and the wind has dropped,but the continued grey and damp make it feel chillier outside than it actually is.
                          One reason I think why it feels chillier than it actually is, is that temperatures have fallen back to where one would normally expect them to be at the end of November much more quickly than is usually the case. I have only just this lunchtime consumed the last of a batch of six tomatoes bought at the beginning of the month to have with salads, which I would normally have stopped eating in preference for cooked meals by that stage.

Not an issue one way or the other for me today as I've either got the 4th coming of the bug that's been bothering me for weeks or I've managed to get a new one. Really annoying as I'd been due to visit a friend who has been out of action recently with several health issues so really doesn't want the risk of another infection - even if this morning's test indicates it isn't covid.
                          So glad I'm fortunate enough not to have to worry about putting the heating on (admittedly on very low and only part of the house, but that suffices) during the day, but a horrid reminder of the hundreds of thousands not in that position.
                          Really sorry to hear of your bad luck with health issues, ooo. Make sure to keep warm of course when you're not well. I have to admit that I have had my central heating on for the past 4 days, restricting that to evenings so I don't have to bed down in a cold room. It has been falling to 3C for the past few nights here, which is a couple of degrees lower than average, and quite a penetrating cold, delivered on strong winds. The next couple of days are expected to deliver copious amounts of rainfall as we are subject to strong frontal systems well within the boundaries of their parent depressions, which is where the maximum moisture gets concentrated. No walks in neighbouring Crystal Palace park either, as it has been closed to the public due to structural weaknesses in the floodlights surrounding the once world-famous athletics stadium. Being very tall, were these to fall the wrong way they could easily descend onto surrounding footpaths. Complaints are now being raised at neglect by the authorities responsible, with reports of dead rats and mice strewn about the terrain and bushes growing out of the buildings!

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Fiercely cold here tonight,

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              Grey, 5C here. truly icy SE wind rising.
                              An unusual direction for an icy wind! Moreover, 5C would appear to be a temperature well above that at which ice normally forms! Perhaps just a touch chilly but no more than would have been normal for the time of year, pre climate change?

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                                An unusual direction for an icy wind! Moreover, 5C would appear to be a temperature well above that at which ice normally forms! Perhaps just a touch chilly but no more than would have been normal for the time of year, pre climate change?
                                In this neck of the woods, while a SE wind mightn't be strictly "icy" it can be perishing cold and keep temperatures well down; the E bit tends to override the S bit, increasingly so as we move into winter.

Comment

Working...
                                X