• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
    A good day, today, perhaps?!?!?
    Pretty boring weatherwise, with continuous roller cloud (stratocumulus) blocking out any sunshine, though, stiff breeze notwithstanding, the temperature max of 15C was a good 4C above where one might expect it in mid-November. It might get a couple of degrees or so higher tomorrow and Saturday. As the weather man said today, 18C is about as high as is possible to get this late in the year for most locations, apart from some to the lee of high ground - eastern Scotland and the N Wales coastline being the most favoured.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

It seems some maximum temperature records for mid-November have been broken today, particularly in Scotland!

Make the most of the next two days: next week it will be back to more usual!

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        It seems some maximum temperature records for mid-November have been broken today, particularly in Scotland!

Make the most of the next two days: next week it will be back to more usual!
        I was going to comment - no discernible difference in temperature between indoors and outdoors... decidedly sticky after walking for a while. Windy. I'm not taking a jacket with me to Oxford tomorrow.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

I think going to be a good day, today.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
            I think going to be a good day, today.

Just right for a 4-mile walk, mostly through neighbouring woodland, where while foliage colours have yet to hit their autumnal best, pathways are still relatively mud-free. After listening through Any Answers the sun's already low angle renders anything longer subject to encroaching darkness. Temperatures around London and surrounds touched 16C in places, but only 14C on my north wall-facing thermometer. Tomorrow they're predicting temperatures peaking as high as 19C, but I guess that will be for the last time as fronts are expected to come through from Monday onwards with winds switching to the SW and then W.

Maybe a cycle ride to across the Thames tomorrow.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Just right for a 4-mile walk, mostly through neighbouring woodland, where while foliage colours have yet to hit their autumnal best, pathways are still relatively mud-free. After listening through Any Answers the sun's already low angle renders anything longer subject to encroaching darkness. Temperatures around London and surrounds touched 16C in places, but only 14C on my north wall-facing thermometer. Tomorrow they're predicting temperatures peaking as high as 19C, but I guess that will be for the last time as fronts are expected to come through from Monday onwards with winds switching to the SW and then W.

Maybe a cycle ride to across the Thames tomorrow.
              Sounds like a good idea! Hope it went well!

A typical November morning.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Showing 99% humidity. Surfaces were as damp as if it had rained when I woke up and looked out of the window.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Fitful sun and very windy today but also mild. The wind and lack of rain will help clear away the results of the very large quantity of rain in recent days. The considerable growth of field crops will have helped reduce the problem of field run-off, but on the downside all that soft growth isn't so good for going into winter - vulnerable to disease and physical damage.
                  Misty, moisty morning...

...Lovely patterns on all the spiders' webs outside.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Fantastic Nov a.m.!!

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                      Misty, moisty morning...

...Lovely patterns on all the spiders' webs outside.
                      Same here. The clearance of the murk is slow and the forecast sunny afternoon will now not happen by the looks of things - perhaps a brief burst just before sundown.
                      Yesterday I used my new railcard to take a trip out to the coast and enjoy the sun and warmth and a different view. The town was busy and the cafes were doing well with dogwalkers and families. Coming back heading through the gloaming towards the oh so tasteful pastel sunset was a joy. The marshes with the trees silhouetted on the horizon and the grazing cattle knee deep in rising mist, the black knuckles of the windpump stumps, occasional burst of birds unsettled by the train's passing, ghostly shapes of sheep and swans; all satisfying in their own right but for me even more so since I can conjure up the paintings in the museum that show the exact same marsh scenes in sun and storm, twilight and dawn, painted during the last 2 centuries plus. The train is the best way to see the marshes and their wildlife as the trackbed is raised up above the level of the fields, and the windows are wide and deep. The road requires concentration, is uncomfortable on a bus due to the switchbacks and if there's an accident you are completely stuck (no side roads, no space to pull off/go round) - as indeed we could see from the train going out yesterday where some car on coach action was causing very long stationary tailbacks. I could travel for free with my bus pass but the actual and potential downsides rule in favour of the train, especially with the railcard discount; the improvements to the rolling stock(modern electric rather than left over diesel - some very old) since I last travelled are an added bonus.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                        • Jan 2011

Yes, I have been looking at the weather maps and the West definitely has it better than the East today - which puts Draco's comment above in context!

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Lovely here, 15 and sunny.

My decision to not bring a jacket with me to Oxford turned out to be a wise one.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Low sunshine glare and short daylight hours has to rule out lengthy cycle rides from now on until February at best, unfortunately, although shorter runs when it is cloudy aren't ruled out. Thick fog settled in last night here; it was slow to clear, and is now on the threshold of returning, a tussle as to which will win out: the rising humidity and falling temperature with oncoming dark, or a light breeze stirring the air too much to allow heavy condensation. Even at the warmest time of year it takes longer for the sun to "burn off" overnight fog, and today's clue proved the forecasters' prediction of 18C unrealistic - it was more like 14C as I crossed Streatham Common, taking in a magnificent view as far as the North Downs, only to climb the ridge and be enveloped in ghostliness - the Crystal Palace mast weirdly half-visible. Washing put out on the line this morning still sopping wet!

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              Fantastic Nov a.m.!!
                              Barmy (sic) weather

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                                Barmy (sic) weather
                                Ere it were misty in t' valleys and foggy on t' top of t' 'ambleton 'ills all day

Comment

Working...
                                X