Banned
    • Oct 2017

Another day of idyllic weather.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
      Another day of idyllic weather.
      Being tempted out onto my bike yesterday left my brain addled - standing inane in the kitchen, wondering what next? Oh yes, a good glass of water. Fortunately I'd had the presence of mind to transfer wallet back into jacket - today I thought I'd lost it god knows where on the trail, and went into panic mode - paper money, free travel pass, banking cards. I think this afternoon I will restrict myself to a post-lunch walk, just back in time for Jazz Record Requests. Oh I've just remembered, lowest pecking order in the Radio 3 culture hierarchy means of course it has been cancelled this week!

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
        Well at least it disperses all the number twos
        And makes subsequent ones more visible and easy to avoid...

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          And makes subsequent ones more visible and easy to avoid...
          Indeed...

Best if they weren't there at all, though!

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Going up... The forecast for the next few days is of increasing heat, getting into plus 30 at the weekend,so here we go again. On the plus side it should at least cool down during the night which will be an improvement on the previous excess heat episodes. This morning the thermometer was showing around 10 degrees as I wandered round the garden at 6am. The dew on parched grass combined with the coolth made for a distinctly autumnal hint. That the sun was still below the level of the trees was a reminder of the change in day length as well - something which also helps to reduce heat peaks - the sun takes longer to get to full strength.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              Going up... The forecast for the next few days is of increasing heat, getting into plus 30 at the weekend,so here we go again. On the plus side it should at least cool down during the night which will be an improvement on the previous excess heat episodes. This morning the thermometer was showing around 10 degrees as I wandered round the garden at 6am. The dew on parched grass combined with the coolth made for a distinctly autumnal hint. That the sun was still below the level of the trees was a reminder of the change in day length as well - something which also helps to reduce heat peaks - the sun takes longer to get to full strength.
              I have a hospital appointment this morning, as well! Yikes!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                I have a hospital appointment this morning, as well! Yikes!
                Hope that went well for you, BBM. I would have said good luck had I been on here earlier - my regular dental check-up went OK: have to feel privileged to even have a dentist these days, albeit a private one, judging by reports of some parts of the country where dentistry of any kind now is a thing of the past. There was a woman in Cornwall yesterday saying she was having to model her own dental crowns using some kind of plastic material to fill gaps where she had removed her own teeth. Apparently her problems had got so advanced they were so loose they had almost fallen out. This is Britain in 2022.

Another lovely day here, with temperatures expected once more to reach 26/27C but a moderating north-easterly gentle breeze, and just enough moisture in the air to create a few tiny cumulus. Right here up on the south London "mountain" we seem to be in a relatively lucky spot in this kind of set-up bringing cooling winds from off the North Sea, with nighttime temperatures falling to around 14/15C, and I am hoping this will continue having a moderating effect as temperatures rocket on Thursday. East coastal areas will probably be best for escaping the worst of what is to come.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

SA, you have a dentist? With yesterday’s announcement about the lack of NHS dentists who are accepting patients, you are a lucky chap! MrsBBM, is not so lucky. As I have multiple Myolema cancer, I am entitled to a special care dentist. As with this cancer, my jaw, might come off, as a result of the dentistry!

As for today’s weather, we’ll, I’ll be staying in. Again, with people like me who have MMC, are prone for suffering with the heat.
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gradus
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Hope that went well for you, BBM. I would have said good luck had I been on here earlier - my regular dental check-up went OK: have to feel privileged to even have a dentist these days, albeit a private one, judging by reports of some parts of the country where dentistry of any kind now is a thing of the past. There was a woman in Cornwall yesterday saying she was having to model her own dental crowns using some kind of plastic material to fill gaps where she had removed her own teeth. Apparently her problems had got so advanced they were so loose they had almost fallen out. This is Britain in 2022.

Another lovely day here, with temperatures expected once more to reach 26/27C but a moderating north-easterly gentle breeze, and just enough moisture in the air to create a few tiny cumulus. Right here up on the south London "mountain" we seem to be in a relatively lucky spot in this kind of set-up bringing cooling winds from off the North Sea, with nighttime temperatures falling to around 14/15C, and I am hoping this will continue having a moderating effect as temperatures rocket on Thursday. East coastal areas will probably be best for escaping the worst of what is to come.
                    Hope you're right about East coastal areas, there is a breeze so its not as searingly intense as a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

SA, you have a dentist? With yesterday’s announcement about the lack of NHS dentists who are accepting patients, you are a lucky chap! MrsBBM, is not so lucky. As I have multiple Myolema cancer, I am entitled to a special care dentist. As with this cancer, my jaw, might come off, as a result of the dentistry!

As for today’s weather, we’ll, I’ll be staying in. Again, with people like me who have MMC, are prone for suffering with the heat.
                      Yes BBM but she's a private dentist who was recommended by my now ex-next doors. Very good she is as well as personable, and from what I can gather the practice doesn't charge that much more than NHS dentists. Some of these people work incredibly hard: this time last year when I had my usual 6 monthly check-up I suggested that she must be looking forward to a break following the Covid outbreak, and she answered that they never ever take holidays. That's dedication!

It looks like the return of excessive heat from tomorrow until Sunday is unavoidable, though the highest temperatures are likely to be west of London, further from the slightly mellowing effect of the North Sea. I wake up each night at about 3 am, make myself a cup of milky tea and open all windows, swinging the doors vigorously several times to try and waft the cooler nighttime air into the flat. If the neighbours were to see me they'd probably think "poor old chap, he's finally gone doolally", but it does seem to have a positive effect even if miniscule! Temperatures are forecast to return to just above normal early next week with the weather switching back to a more westerly type, hopefully following some rainfall down here on Sunday or Monday as thundery conditions build up from the direction of France. +

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Just back from my walk. Much like yesterday, completely cloudless.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Yes BBM but she's a private dentist who was recommended by my now ex-next doors. Very good she is as well as personable, and from what I can gather the practice doesn't charge that much more than NHS dentists. Some of these people work incredibly hard: this time last year when I had my usual 6 monthly check-up I suggested that she must be looking forward to a break following the Covid outbreak, and she answered that they never ever take holidays. That's dedication!

It looks like the return of excessive heat from tomorrow until Sunday is unavoidable, though the highest temperatures are likely to be west of London, further from the slightly mellowing effect of the North Sea. I wake up each night at about 3 am, make myself a cup of milky tea and open all windows, swinging the doors vigorously several times to try and waft the cooler nighttime air into the flat. If the neighbours were to see me they'd probably think "poor old chap, he's finally gone doolally", but it does seem to have a positive effect even if miniscule! Temperatures are forecast to return to just above normal early next week with the weather switching back to a more westerly type, hopefully following some rainfall down here on Sunday or Monday as thundery conditions build up from the direction of France. +
                          I saw, I think, there forecasted some thunder, on Wednesday? We’ll just have to endure the heat, till after Sunday!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

I saw, I think, there forecasted some thunder, on Wednesday? We’ll just have to endure the heat, till after Sunday!
                            Sunday and/or Monday, I would think, BBM.

I have to go out for some shopping shortly. Dreading it.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

35 on saturday, according to my app.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                                35 on saturday, according to my app.
                                Indeed. And it is interesting that it is not only London and other major conurbations which are experiencing these very high temperatures. In fact I have sometimes found part of the centre of London to be comparatively shielded, most especially where very tall buildings in close proximity provide deep shade, and where copious amounts of cooled aircon are allowed to escape from premises. There is also a tendency for tall buildings to accentuate any airflow by channelling it at low levels.

Comment

Working...
                                X