• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post

Though where would I have put my rose buttonhole?

We don't seem to have reached our predicted 36º andit's now getting cooler (just).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Though where would I have put my rose buttonhole?

We don't seem to have reached our predicted 36º andit's now getting cooler (just).
      One of the main things I remember from the 1975 and '76 heatwaves in Bristol is that sudden strong winds would erupt every day, at around 10-11 pm, as the accumulated heat of the day drained out to the Bristol Channel.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        One of the main things I remember from the 1975 and '76 heatwaves in Bristol is that sudden strong winds would erupt every day, at around 10-11 pm, as the accumulated heat of the day drained out to the Bristol Channel.

I'll let you know if we do - and if I'm still awake
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          That could mean the death of Venice, mind!

22 Degs celsius in my flat right now - just 1 degree up on yesterday despite the much grater temperature hike outside. I'd like to recommend my above-described strategy I've been adopting for anyone interested.
          Much grater here

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

37 here.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Quite a drop predicted for Wednesday though, down by 10ºC or thereabouts.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                • Jan 2011

Quite a drop predicted for Wednesday though, down by 10ºC or thereabouts.
                Here too, but still >20C most of the night before.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                  Here too, but still >20C most of the night before.
                  And still a good 5 degs above average for mid July - which will feel wrmer than that as more moist air comes in from the Atlantic. It looks like we could be in for the first substantial rain this coming Friday, though I am still hopeful for tomorrow's heatwave breakdown: there is a large mass of severe thunderstorms looming up in the Bay of Biscay as I write.

The forecasters were certainly right about retained heat this evening - it's still 26C out there!

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Not surprisingly it was warm overnight but I did manage to sleep, possibly because I was completely wiped out after only a couple of hours the previous night. I had hoped to do a bit of pottering with plants on the patio before it got too hot this morning, but even at 6-30 it was beginning to get uncomfortable so that'll have to wait. Volunteer gardening tomorrow will have to be a short session as even a significant drop in temperature is still going to be very warm. The chance of rain is low sadly.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Out to the greengrocer at 8am and already it was 28ºC, so I shan't now go for a walk again which I'd planned to do early. Temperature yesterday didn't hit the predicted 36º and today is supposed to be a degree or three cooler - 33º for most of the middle of the day.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Out to the greengrocer at 8am and already it was 28ºC, so I shan't now go for a walk again which I'd planned to do early. Temperature yesterday didn't hit the predicted 36º and today is supposed to be a degree or three cooler - 33º for most of the middle of the day.
                        MrsBBM thinks it will hit 40C, down hereabouts.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Despite it being the hottest night on record - it was still 26 degrees here at midnight - I had no trouble sleeping. It's all very different from my younger self when I recall many a sleepless and difficult summer night when in my teens and 20s even though the night time temperature was well below current levels.

How to account for this? Has there been some process of acclimatisation? The heat currently does feel less humid both during the day and night so this might be a factor.

I don't really know but I feel perfectly comfortable in the daytime heat and sleep just as usual at night.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

MAJOR increase in heat up here in Cumbrian fells this a.m.
                            Last edited by DracoM; 19-07-22, 12:49.

Comment

• Ein Heldenleben
                              • Apr 2014

after a night when it didn’t go below 24 deg c there’s now thunder lightning and rain - still about 25 deg though.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ein Heldenleben View Post
                                after a night when it didn’t go below 24 deg c there’s now thunder lightning and rain - still about 25 deg though.
                                There seems to be quite a lot of thunder and lightning in the South West. It might reach Wilts. We're in the amber zone but I was somewhat amazed to note it was 33C by 10 am.

Comment

Working...
                                X