X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    RAIN!!! Yes...............at last ...and distinctly coolish compared to yesterday!
    Hmmm - one can go off people...
    If it does ever rain again here and I'm out in the car I'll have to think about where the windscreen wiper switch is!
    In the meantime, going up is the order of the day for Mon/Tues - forecast now at 34 and 36. I blame the local rag, it has been wittering on for days about temps reaching 40.
    There aren't any cornfields in the immediate vicinity this year, but I've just remembered that high temperatures are problematic for harvest - not just the fire risk ( not good when the very expensive bit of kit goes up in smoke when something metallic hits a flint and throws a spark into the chaff dust cloud), but also that if grain comes in too hot it has to be cooled before storage.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Warm and sunny today though with a pleasant breeze. 27 here now apparently - already it takes away some of my energy, so I wonder how I'll feel on Monday when it's 10 degrees higher!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Warm and sunny today though with a pleasant breeze. 27 here now apparently - already it takes away some of my energy, so I wonder how I'll feel on Monday when it's 10 degrees higher!
        Probably like standing in front of a huge fan heater - or outside the front of the Kensington Hilton where the extraction is located and homeless people gathered in winter. I experienced 38C that way in Hanover with a strong southerly blowing. Fortunately it was only for one morning - a violent thunderstorm broke out at teatime, sending girlfriend and me scuttling into a café where we stayed for half an hour while the street turned into a fast-flowing river! That broke the heatwave. This unfortunately is expected to last 2 days. Expect this place to be full of refugees, I told the manager of the local Sainsbury's this morning!

Great to learn of your progress at the geetar*, Joseph K.

*(MIles to McLaughlin at the Silent Way session: "Play the geetar like you dunno know how to play the geetar, John").

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Probably like standing in front of a huge fan heater - or outside the front of the Kensington Hilton where the extraction is located and homeless people gathered in winter. I experienced 38C that way in Hanover with a strong southerly blowing. Fortunately it was only for one morning - a violent thunderstorm broke out at teatime, sending girlfriend and me scuttling into a café where we stayed for half an hour while the street turned into a fast-flowing river! That broke the heatwave. This unfortunately is expected to last 2 days. Expect this place to be full of refugees, I told the manager of the local Sainsbury's this morning!
          Nice anecdote.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Great to learn of your progress at the geetar*, Joseph K.

*(MIles to McLaughlin at the Silent Way session: "Play the geetar like you dunno know how to play the geetar, John").
          Thanks and yes - that is one magical album. McLaughlin certainly plays as though provoked by Miles's koan.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

A lovely , vey warm summer day here, peak temp about 28 .
            We were in Cambridge the day that the highest ever UK temperature was recorded in that city, so hopefully that record will stay intact.

The media seem to gave forgotten about Ukraine and moved onto lack of rain.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              A lovely , vey warm summer day here, peak temp about 28 .
              We were in Cambridge the day that the highest ever UK temperature was recorded in that city, so hopefully that record will stay intact.

The media seem to gave forgotten about Ukraine and moved onto lack of rain.
              It was very pleasant most of today thanks to the cloud cover, and lovely in the garden at 6am as there was heavy dew, thanks presumably to having got really quite cool during the night - down to 10 round about dawn.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Temp here c 15C as I post.
                Q: are the media talking up this 'emergency' for their own advantage?
                Erm................1976?

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Erm................1976?
                  Aren't you outside the range of the current 'emergency' up there? My outside thermometer, situated in a very shady spot, reads 32.2 degrees. To be honest, I'd question that but it is very warm indeed and may even be right. There's also a thin cloud cover restricting the full force of the sun. Time for a walk before lunch!
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Erm................1976?
                    What advantage is there to the media in talking up the emergency - apart from giving them something to talk about, of course!

It's about 20C here at the moment but 29C is predicted later this afternoon.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
                      What advantage is there to the media in talking up the emergency - apart from giving them something to talk about, of course!

It's about 20C here at the moment but 29C is predicted later this afternoon.
                      Indeed, 29C was reached a couple of hours ago. It's now down to 27C - I'll probably go out for a short walk in an hour's time, as it looks as if outdoor exercise will be at a premium tomorrow: they're even advising oldies with heart conditions such as I to stay in. Unfortunately the nighttime temperature is not going to relent for the next two nights, therefore the problem will be in keeping indoors comfortably cool - ie keeping curtains windows and doors shut, which I hate having to do as it is claustrophobic. Fortunately it seems like only two days of extreme heat has to be endured.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

30 a couple of hours ago, largely due to the sun coming out, on the way down somewhat as the sun gets lower. The patio is pleasant now in the shade and with a bit of a breeze - pity about two doors down (and upwind) having fired up her huge BBQ, the honeysuckle and star jasmine can't compete...

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          30 a couple of hours ago, largely due to the sun coming out, on the way down somewhat as the sun gets lower. The patio is pleasant now in the shade and with a bit of a breeze - pity about two doors down (and upwind) having fired up her huge BBQ, the honeysuckle and star jasmine can't compete...
                          Ah, the smell of charred flesh and kerosene, can't beat it...

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Last night's temperature wasn't too bad where I am.

I'll be going on an early walk today, methinks...

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                              Last night's temperature wasn't too bad where I am.

I'll be going on an early walk today, methinks...
                              Already done my shopping at Tesco. Very pleasant weather, so far. All windows now closed and curtains drawn throughout the house.

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                                Already done my shopping at Tesco. Very pleasant weather, so far. All windows now closed and curtains drawn throughout the house.
                                Coop the place to be this morning. Really cool - and they have a coffee machine and a few seats.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X