X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    You lucky fella! Yes, that aurora event was subsequently mentioned on the national forecast as having been visible as far south as Norfolk..
    Aurora hunters in Norfolk were given a little extra bank holiday treat.

Rather windy, but dry and plenty of sunshine, so washing dried well and pottering in the garden was pleasant. A pale pink sunset made the most of the autumn tints in the garden.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

15C today? Surely not?
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Grey and dull here!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Bubble wrap altocumulus associated with the eastward-moving warm front spread in to obscure the sun this morning, and is now lowering and transitioning into lumpy high stratocumulus with few gaps. I don't think the temperature will get above 12 C this afternoon, but this is 1 degree C above the early November average, and it is expected to climb as high as 15 C here tomorrow and on Wednesday, night time temperatures not going below 7 or 8 C, so I can save on the heating bill. Or would do were it not for my being on a fixed tariff, which keeps my costs lowish overall for the time being, but doesn't adjust for energy reductions. They've got you, one way or another!

Come the weekend the experts are predicting strong high pressure building over south Norway and leaking a cold north-easterly in our direction; so the advice is to make the most of this relative warmth while we can.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

A sunny dry day today, with the autumn colours showing to advantage. A bit chilly but the breeze was light so not a problem. There was a bit of bubble wrap here this morning earlyish but not enough to affect the sun, just looked rather pretty, cream in the blue.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Had a fair bit of rain last night. Looks like it could be like that again today?
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

A very mild day (peaked at 15 C), such that I had to do a quick rethink of clothing choices. Lots of sunshine and a pleasure to be outside. Would have been nice to think we could have had more of the same for tomorrow's volunteer gardening, but that isn't on the cards; hoping that any rain either misses or is too light to matter seems to be the order of the day.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Yuk+++ - yes, up here - again.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Rather a dull day, at the moment.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

The still air (no wind) mild temperature and lack of rain (which I had been expecting) made for a pleasant walk.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Still and mild here too, but very grey and at lunchtime the loitering mist decided to start leaking slightly - what I suppose one could call mizzle. I think it unlikely anything more decisive will appear (not least as I emptied and cleaned a water butt which had become rather soupy and now awaits rain to fill it again!) but in any case it doesn't matter as I've done my outside activities now.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Rather mild today, down here too. Although, I’m sure other residents had their heating on during the night!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Genuinely COLD - 8C -, rain, driving westerlies, hills greying out as the afternoon progresses.
                            Heating has been on winter timetable for a week, and needed.
                            What is so frustrating is that now and again, it is so mild, you turn the eating off....then two hours later....

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              Genuinely COLD - 8C -, rain, driving westerlies, hills greying out as the afternoon progresses.
                              Heating has been on winter timetable for a week, and needed.
                              What is so frustrating is that now and again, it is so mild, you turn the eating off....then two hours later....
                              Shorter than usual bursts of having the heating on is what I have been doing - just on long enough to warm the place up to what I now seem to need (20 degs C +) and keep it warm until I turn in of a night.

It does seem that temperatures are expected to remain 4-5 degrees above the expected for mid-November, even when the winds across England turn around to a north-easterly direction next week. I'm wondering if thee North Sea is warmer than usual for this late in the year - that seems the only explanation.

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Shorter than usual bursts of having the heating on is what I have been doing - just on long enough to warm the place up to what I now seem to need (20 degs C +) and keep it warm until I turn in of a night.

It does seem that temperatures are expected to remain 4-5 degrees above the expected for mid-November, even when the winds across England turn around to a north-easterly direction next week. I'm wondering if thee North Sea is warmer than usual for this late in the year - that seems the only explanation.
                                The North Sea in November would still be close to its normal seasonal warmest anyway (don't know what actual current temperatures are this year and whether they are higher than previously) but the countries/regions the wind is coming from are perhaps warmer than they should be?
                                This damp mild weather I find difficult in terms of space heating, as it will often feel chilly indoors even when the thermometer and thermostat say otherwise. As such weather also tends to make my joints painfully unhappy I override the boiler/thermostat controls to make the living room more comfortable, or might consider lighting the woodstove - which of course now comes with an accompaniment of guilt...

Comment

Working...
                                X