Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

I'm not surprised this thread has rather floundered these past few days, this is turning out a disappointingly drab summer. Today it only reached 18.5 in London, with a thick slab of stratocumulus from horizon to horizon all day keeping the sun at bay and producing more rain than I'd been expecting this morning. A few warmish days for the east and south-east are promised for the end of the week, but with temperatures only reaching the low to mid-20s celsius as best, while the north and west are plagued with slow-moving weak frontal systems.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Going to be a changeable day today, weather wise!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Impossibly dreary for a mid-August day. Spitting with rain in a strong wind and feeling cool with it right now. Doesn't look like much chance of any sunshine either.

A very mediocre summer. A good week in June, a very good week in July and that's about it.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

<< Impossibly dreary for a mid-August day. Spitting with rain in a strong wind and feeling cool with it right now>>

As up here.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            << Impossibly dreary for a mid-August day. Spitting with rain in a strong wind and feeling cool with it right now>>

As up here.
            Autumnal here (S. Suffolk) today with an uncomfortable blustery wind - not good on a scooter.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Tending to dreary here too. Yesterday was tiresome with intermittent drizzle all morning and, after a break midday, for much of the afternoon too. Only positive was that it was reasonably warm and the breeze meant that the wet dried up quickly given a chance, so the many visitors on site didn't get miserably soaked or prevented from doing the activities on offer.
              Today is drier(but with bouts of that wretched invisible drizzle that quickly clouds spectacle lenses) and a bit brighter but cooler with it.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Well, contrary to official predictions, the sun is managing to break up the low cloud - this is bound to happen once the airstream dries out as it leaves the Atlantic influence behind - and I'll take my chances with a new circular cycle trip. Friday now looks like warming up as continental tropical air reaches us from the SE; and Saturday could well turn thundery as cooler air blows back in from the west.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

A thoroughly dismal conclusion to an August that must rank as one of the worst in memory and the end of a summer that can be described as mediocre at best.

Yet again, it's another morning of solid cloud, a fairly strong wind and a temperature currently at 13 degrees. I can't remember an August so completely lacking in sunshine as this one, apart from 1985 when all it did was rain.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• gurnemanz
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    A thoroughly dismal conclusion to an August that must rank as one of the worst in memory and the end of a summer that can be described as mediocre at best.

Yet again, it's another morning of solid cloud, a fairly strong wind and a temperature currently at 13 degrees. I can't remember an August so completely lacking in sunshine as this one, apart from 1985 when all it did was rain.
                    On my bike ride yesterday it felt chilly even with a pullover on. We had a few days in Cornwall at Cawsand a couple of weeks ago when there was some pleasant sunshine on offer, eg when we took a bracing walk up to the old chapel on Rame Head.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                      On my bike ride yesterday it felt chilly even with a pullover on. We had a few days in Cornwall at Cawsand a couple of weeks ago when there was some pleasant sunshine on offer, eg when we took a bracing walk up to the old chapel on Rame Head.
                      I too had to pull over and don a pullover on my ride over to Camberwell yesterday afternoon under a leaden sky with light drizzle. This surely must rank among the dullest of all Augusts for the SE; and it looks likely to drag on into this week as well, concluding with an unwelcome return to "zonal" type conditions over the weekend and next week, as westerlies finally release the bevvy of low pressure systems that have been "patiently" waiting on in the Atlantic wings. Average temperatures for early September actually drop down to what we have been experiencing over the second half of August - so no great changes there. At least one can say this ain't New Orleans right now!

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

I think the wood burner will be going on tonight. The previous 2 evenings I've left it too late to be worthwhile.
                        At least one can say this ain't New Orleans right now!
                        Indeed and of course there is always someone/where worse off but like the childhood exhortation to "think of starving African children" when refusing to finish food, after a while resentment and petulance surface and drown out better thoughts and "don't care" dominates. I think for me the difficulty has been the lack of sun rather than cold, windy and occasional damp(rather than any useful rain) that has been the hardest to cope with.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                          I think the wood burner will be going on tonight. The previous 2 evenings I've left it too late to be worthwhile.
                          Indeed and of course there is always someone/where worse off but like the childhood exhortation to "think of starving African children" when refusing to finish food, after a while resentment and petulance surface and drown out better thoughts and "don't care" dominates. I think for me the difficulty has been the lack of sun rather than cold, windy and occasional damp(rather than any useful rain) that has been the hardest to cope with.
                          Actually I do quite care for all those rich Americans who, having had either built or purchased swanky properties within barefoot distance of the sea have come to find their assumed presumption of divine protection for being God-fearing subscribers to the idea of His Country so comprehensibly swept away. These are often the same people who deny that climate change is taking place. I care a lot more for poor peoples worldwide who are disproportionately having to take the brunt of it, as I am sure you yourself do. It seems the "jazz district" of N.O has been especially hard hit, from what I was reading earlier.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Well that was a bloody terrible August, weather wise.
                            Technically speaking.
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

I better be quiet as d no it say what we have, just in case it changes!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                                I better be quiet as d no it say what we have, just in case it changes!
                                My mum used to say, never pull a face when the wind changes, because you'll stay like that. I wonder where that saying comes from - if it is a saying; I've never heard it said elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                X