X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

It’s going to be wild, wet and windy today, as I think we are in the area of Storm Evert. SA, what do you think?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

There was quite a bit of rain again overnight but the wind has shifted quite a lot of the surplus surface water. Sunshine and showers for now but likely to get a bit more serious later, so time to get to the Post Office etc to avoid getting too wet.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
        It’s going to be wild, wet and windy today, as I think we are in the area of Storm Evert. SA, what do you think?
        Maybe later.

Comment

• Joseph K
          Banned
          • Oct 2017

Raining almost constantly here so far... didn't stop me going for an hour-long (my normal) walk.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            Raining almost constantly here so far... didn't stop me going for an hour-long (my normal) walk.
            Still to reach here. Actually it might skirt around to the NW, or come through as a line of heavy rain and possible thunder later this evening after the surface Low (Evert) crosses NE across the Midlands and then Norfolk this afternoon. The sky is actually quite broken here, with odd bits of drizzle from low clag resulting from the very high humidity (which is making the 19 C feel a lot higher) overlaid by cumulus growing through stratocumulus infill. Quite a complex set-up! Ah! - heavy rain suddenly now, indicating convection breaking through the cap. Just offered commiserations to a visiting pizza delivery man!

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Today here, if you'd told me we're at the end of September, I wouldn't have disagreed!

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                Today here, if you'd told me we're at the end of September, I wouldn't have disagreed!
                Even before the weather arrived there was a sense of shifting to the next seasonal stage here. On Monday it seemed rather quiet outside and then I realised that the swifts had left the street. The next day at work the numbers were significantly down although still enough to provide the characteristic sound backdrop and airshow in the courtyard. On the way there I had passed a huge stack of straw bales and saw that the 2 fields beside the road had been harvested.
                Another very wet night although fortunately not too much wind, and now there is some sunshine. It's rather cool though.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Sometimes a phrase just stays with you, doesn't it? Back in the mid-1980s while on holiday in Chamonix - or Chamonix Mont Blanc as the locals like it to be known - I checked the weather forecast posted on a board outside the tourist office before deciding whether to go for a walk that day. The forecast ended with the words 'Un avant-goût d'automne', which are regularly heard chez nous any time from late July onwards in most years! We've just returned from a trip to God's Own Country, and plenty of signs from the coach that harvesting is in full swing in some places. A sunny start to the day here with the possibility of some showers after lunch.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

SA, oh we certainly were!

A good day today, with showers later.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Occasional short drizzly showers here with the sky looking constantly like the next one is about to start. The strong wind of the past couple of days hasn't done the roses any good and it's cool enough to put the heating on.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                        The forecast ended with the words 'Un avant-goût d'automne', which are regularly heard chez nous any time from late July onwards in most years!
                        Thanks for that being my one bit of new learning for today, LMcD - hadn't realised that the French for "foretaste" so precisely translates!

An afternoon of quite heavy and prolonged showers down here as a weakening cold front takes its time moving south. I did warn neighbours sitting out in the garden to head inside if they heard any rumbles of thunder, but so far it hasn't thundered, though it has been down the east coast, from Norfolk to E Kent, and tomorrow it could happen just about anywhere once more: another of those hit-or-miss days.

I can't wait for a dependable stretch of days, so I can choose one to cycle over to my old* friends in Shooters Hill.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Old, as in now knocking on a bit, as well as being long-term friends.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Variable day in God's Own Country. Grey skies and a little bit of drizzle this morning. Cleared up a bit this afternoon, with brighter skies, but black clouds and rain towards the N York Moors. No need for heating!!. Very acceptable temperatures and a light NW wind.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Going to be rather muggy I think today. With some rain, no doubt!
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Things seem to have changed rather since I looked late last night, and not for the better. It was due to be a reasonable if rather dull day but now a great mass of blue/colour has appeared over much of the map and the former "overcast" seems to have become grey cloud and likelihood of rain, with temps noticeably lower than originally suggested. It may be necessary to revise plans for today somewhat to reduce the chances of being cold and wet - joints are unhappy enough as it is without additional provocation!

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

So cold yesterday that on summer settings, my central heating turned itself on in the evening!!

Comment

Working...
                                X