X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Cloudy, 20 degrees - not at all unpleasant.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

The Met Office issued an Amber warning at 2.30 for the impending thunderstorm now over much of London and encroaching slowly on here - reportedly more than 2 inches of rain has fallen across a wide area, and there is flooding once again in Wimbledon and several parts. Nick Armstrong's and Vinteuil's districts will have been in the middle of this lot!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        The Met Office issued an Amber warning at 2.30 for the impending thunderstorm now over much of London and encroaching slowly on here - reportedly more than 2 inches of rain has fallen across a wide area, and there is flooding once again in Wimbledon and several parts. Nick Armstrong's and Vinteuil's districts will have been in the middle of this lot!
        Can confirm: rumbles of thunder far and near for the past two hours and torrential rain on and off!
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
          Can confirm: rumbles of thunder far and near for the past two hours and torrential rain on and off!
          For a time I thought the storm would develop into an MCS and keep going, but now it is de-energising, with just a few residual spherics out towards Haverhill. The live precipitation map shows the storm as part of a ring circling anticlockwise around the centre of the low just off Dover like a necklace! Now that the rainfall has reduced to moderate intensity I shall now don a non-leaky pair of shoes, raise the brolly, and take my daily constitutional - a short one!

Next week shows a more vigorous low moving in from the west - cue more heavy rainfall on Tuesday - then taking of residence on the Arctic circle midway between Iceland and the north of Norway for the whole week!!! spawning mini secondaries in its circulation. Never known anything like that to happen before. Cool showery westerly to north-westerly air stream resulting.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Nick Armstrong View Post
            Phew! My sympathies to all affected. My location, barely 30 miles west of Marble Arch, has basically escaped the real deluges. No sign of water at any of the several known flood risk locations I have passed through today.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

A while ago there were promising signs of something happening in the wet stuff department but it very quickly thought better of it and now there's a pretty pale blue sky with mackerel stripes and skeletons and a light but rather cool breeze. So yet more hose action, sigh. Doesn't look hopeful for Monday either - anything promising seems set not to get this far.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Much flooding from today's storms, chiefly central, north and north-east London copping it. Camberwell was badly hit - a friend has a basement flat there: should have rung to find out if he's OK.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Wet, windy and two or three lots of thunder too! Looks like and feels muggy.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    Much flooding from today's storms, chiefly central, north and north-east London copping it. Camberwell was badly hit - a friend has a basement flat there: should have rung to find out if he's OK.
                    The friend emailed to report he's OK. Living towards the lower northern end of Camberwell Grove I was worried; fortunately he had the perspicacity to get outside as soon as the torrents began falling and clear soil blocking his drains front and aft, and then went to help an elderly neighbour who was in difficulties: in no time others in the street appeared to help out with baling water from her basement and send it down a street drain which, thankfully, had not been overwhelmed, as was the case in the vicinity of The Green.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Pleasant here - warmer and sunnier than yesterday, but not too warm.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Massive temp drop here. Genuinely cold breeze!!!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Quite pleasant at 21 C with sporadic sun and gentle southerly breeze. Met Office is forecasting hail at 2pm.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                            Quite pleasant at 21 C with sporadic sun and gentle southerly breeze. Met Office is forecasting hail at 2pm.
                            I hope it takes its time getting here and holds off for me to go shopping after lunch! The loud rumble here jut now as skies darkened and heavy rain began falling had me rushing to the window, to discover it was just a plane flying over!

My thermometer was registering 22 C before the rain came - a couple of degrees higher than the maximum forecast.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Got quite warm late morning once the sun came out, and muggy with it, so not very pleasant for the volunteer gardening. It started raining about 1-30 as I was finishing my lunch and carried on for about an hour - useful as straight down and not heavy but steady. It's done a good job of clearing the air which had become very murky with all the dust that has been lifted during the dry breezy days, augmented just here by the beginning of harvest, but no effect on the soil deficit. There might be more later but the relevant cloud on the map is looking too patchy to be confident of that.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Got quite warm late morning once the sun came out, and muggy with it, so not very pleasant for the volunteer gardening. It started raining about 1-30 as I was finishing my lunch and carried on for about an hour - useful as straight down and not heavy but steady. It's done a good job of clearing the air which had become very murky with all the dust that has been lifted during the dry breezy days, augmented just here by the beginning of harvest, but no effect on the soil deficit. There might be more later but the relevant cloud on the map is looking too patchy to be confident of that.
                                This weather is playing tricks on observers at the moment. The sun comes out, only to reveal previously concealed massive storm clouds further down the line. Yesterday was similar - dry with innocuous looking skies: the sun went in just as I took my rug out on the lawn for sunbathing purposes - it always happens, but I wasn't aware of the torrential downpour that took place over on Clapham Common, only 4 miles away.

"Bubble warp" (altocumulus) cloud over Belgravia this morning. I'm pretty sure this is at the Sloane Square end of Cliveden Gate, viewing NE before it reaches the tree-lined stretch in the distance, which would be Eaton Square.

Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 27-07-21, 16:32.

Comment

Working...
                                X