X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    24º too hot for me this morning. Going up ……… (29º at 4pm).
    It has maxed out at just under 27 C here. The reason London is cooler than Bristol is that with the wind coming down from the NE we have the cooling effect of the North Sea, whereas Bristol is receiving that same wind direction after it has crossed a large expanse of land mass, plus possibly a bit of compression as the air descends from the Cotswolds.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Gonna get up to 30 here today.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Gonna get up to 30 here today.
        It's already 26 degrees in my listening room which catches the sun and stores up the heat so that, during a heatwave it progressively builds up. Temperature at midnight was 28 degrees in here and I can easily see it topping 30 as the week goes on. No other room in the house does this to anything quite like the same extent, even the room directly above, though my bedroom, which catches the evening sun runs it close. I'm quite comfortable with it so no complaints.

Outside, it's looking glorious once again. It was days like this that were meant for post-retirement travel but instead I've barely left my front door for the second summer in a row!
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          It's already 26 degrees in my listening room which catches the sun and stores up the heat so that, during a heatwave it progressively builds up. Temperature at midnight was 28 degrees in here and I can easily see it topping 30 as the week goes on. No other room in the house does this to anything quite like the same extent, even the room directly above, though my bedroom, which catches the evening sun runs it close. I'm quite comfortable with it so no complaints.

Outside, it's looking glorious once again. It was days like this that were meant for post-retirement travel but instead I've barely left my front door for the second summer in a row!
          From today I am keeping all my curtains drawn for as long as temperatures are expected to rise above 26 degrees C. While this does not eliiminate heat build-up indoors it does have a delaying effect, so that one can to some extent acclimatize as temperatures rise.

It is quite unusual for a heatwave to be locally-generated in the UK, i.e. not borne on winds coming off the neighbouring continent, but this is precisely how the 1976 heatwave happened.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Hot and muggy

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

It maxed out here at 29.5 C according to my infallible thermometer - 30 C at the nearest officially registered weather site. Not as bad as feared - low humidity around these parts. I shall now repair to the garden to indulge in some free Vitamin D, courtesy that big orange thing up in the sky.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Currently 31 (feels like 32).

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

29° outside, here. 28° upstairs (first floor) inside the house, and 24° downstairs, in the hallway. Guess where I will be sleeping tonight. So glad I got a memory foam (single) mattress-topper a few years ago. So easy to grab it off the spare bed and carry it down to the (carpeted) hallway. Next best thing to a futon.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Too hot for me to be outside but the defrosting of the freezer went quickly and I was also able to get some crystallised honey and jam into a more usable state by judicious use of windowsills. The jam will need more time but the honey should be OK for a while now.
                    More breeze than yesterday which made the plants flag, and due to the direction it also became noticeably cooler as the sun went down, unlike yesterday when it stayed hot until late. The forecast of continued high temps and no rain suggests that watering of the veg patch will be needed.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Just had a wander down to the bins, and it really is unbearable now 29 C, windless, with humidity at 60%+. This is even affecting this computer mouse, which seems to have broken its moorings, unable to find any purchase on the mouse pad, which I've now given a thorough wash. Another 4 days of this until thunderstorms on Friday bring more liveable temperatures, hopefully. Cumulus now puffing up all around but while any rain will bring temperatures down the rising humidity resulting will just augment the discomfort. I can't imagine what it must be like for upstairs, relatively lucky as I am with the benefits of a large broad-spreading hornbeam tree to the south-west shielding my south-facing windows from midday onwards.

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Just had a wander down to the bins, and it really is unbearable now 29 C, windless, with humidity at 60%+. This is even affecting this computer mouse, which seems to have broken its moorings, unable to find any purchase on the mouse pad, which I've now given a thorough wash. Another 4 days of this until thunderstorms on Friday bring more liveable temperatures, hopefully. Cumulus now puffing up all around but while any rain will bring temperatures down the rising humidity resulting will just augment the discomfort. I can't imagine what it must be like for upstairs, relatively lucky as I am with the benefits of a large broad-spreading hornbeam tree to the south-west shielding my south-facing windows from midday onwards.
                        It'll be winter soon enough then you'll look back on this week with affection! It's probably a touch cooler here at 26 degrees with very little wind. It is welcome to carry on like this for some time as far as I am concerned. This is what a summer's day should be.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

One big thunderstorm is currently happening to the east and south-east of Crowborough in Sussex right this minute, with constant lightning and, imagine, torrential rain. Thunder from it should be audible from BBM's location, I would think.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

"DISRUPTION DUE TO EXTREME HIGH TEMPERATURES" here, whatever that means. Was 31º, now supposedly 29º. 'Affected areas South West England'. Wind 8mph, feels like 31º

ADD: Has just jumped up to 31º again.
                            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Has got hotter through the day as the sun became less obscured and the cool airflow slowed down.The breeze is picking up again so there is a good airflow now through the house, which in any case doesn't heat up too much all through unless there is a lengthy hot period as it's an older (1930s) mid terrace oriented E-W.
                              Extreme heat and cold does highlight sadly the extent to which so much of the more modern housing stock in this country is of poor design and construction, and given the unhealthy relationship between government and developers there's not much chance of improvements. I am so glad to be out of my 1980s semi though which would have needed a great deal of money spending(which wouldn't have been recouped when sold) to make it more comfortable in the less equable weather which lies ahead.

Comment

• Joseph K
                                Banned
                                • Oct 2017

30, feels like 31 here. Stuffy.

Comment

Working...
                                X