X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
    Not sure I'm much fussed about how it goes out, it's what it brings with it that bothers me - mass gatherings of sun-seekers are not good news for all sorts of reasons at the moment.
    One suggestion of a solution could be having hungry crocodiles deputising for lifeguards patrolling the beaches. That would deter a good many sun seekers!

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Looks like a great day today.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
        Looks like a great day today.
        Yes indeed, and I shall be cycling north of the River, up Hammersmith way.

"For it was siesta, and I felt so gay....".

Oh, that's not quite right..........

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
          Yes indeed, and I shall be cycling north of the River, up Hammersmith way.

"For it was siesta, and I felt so gay....".

Oh, that's not quite right..........
          I remain a Londoner at heart, gov, even though I haven't lived there for over 40 years and such undertakings do make me nostalically jealous. Our daughter lives in Streatham and tells us she cycles to a good butcher's in Earlsfield. I do go on a daily ride but round here (N Wiits) I'm more limited, not keen to use main roads between towns or travel toö long distances.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

String and CHILLY westerly up here. Yes, some sun - hooray, but.....

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
              String and CHILLY westerly up here. Yes, some sun - hooray, but.....
              The string will come in handy in the garden I imagine...

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Ha Ha!.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  Ha Ha!.
                  From what you've been telling us about the weather in your neighbourhood, you'll certainly need strong string to stake your plants.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    I remain a Londoner at heart, gov, even though I haven't lived there for over 40 years and such undertakings do make me nostalically jealous. Our daughter lives in Streatham and tells us she cycles to a good butcher's in Earlsfield. I do go on a daily ride but round here (N Wiits) I'm more limited, not keen to use main roads between towns or travel toö long distances.
                    I chose well when I moved here 16 years ago. Yet I feel exceptionally lucky to have selected this spot, which in itself is very nice - 6 miles one way takes me to the South Bank; 6 miles in the opposite direction into the rural North Downs. Today's journey - about 28 miles in all - had me leaving home at 12.15 and arriving at Hammersmith Bridge at 1.20, after which I returned home via a round trip taking in Chiswick Bridge, Mortlake, Barnes, Putney, Wandsworth, Clapham Common and the S Circular - and I was back home by 4.30. That's not bad by any standards in my opinion, even though I've now reached the stage at which lycra-clad youngsters with Pokemon headgear and ray bans whizz effortlessly past me as I sweat my trilby hatted way up the climb out of Clapham shopping centre, arriving home feeling like I've been put through a mangle! Coincidentally, I had considered the way back via Earlsfield and Streatham Common as a possible short cut, then decided that the two climbs involved would have been too exhausting.

Today marked my first foray into pub catering since lockdown, and I have to say it will probably be my last, or until this Covid problem is sorted. The usual pub I frequent - Vinteuil would probably know it - only let me order on the likely grounds that I was obviously a poor old codger stuck in my thinking in a previous halcyon era before customers were customarily called on to produce phone camera to register contact details in the event of my being infective, or anyone else so being in my vicinity: I don't have one. Well, since it was my first visit, etc etc... Asked where I would be outside, I mentioned the tables a few yards up the pathway. Oh, they belonged to another pub, two doors away. So they did - a waitress was coming and going there, serving customers at tables. All outside furniture belonging to The Rutland Arms had been removed: people were either standing around, using the riverside wall to place their drinks, or squatting on the ground, which is what I decided to do. And no sir, I'm afraid our cloakroom facilities are not in use - we have hand gel, over there, sir. Silly me, for choosing the pub I've always used in the past! I was served half a lager in a plastic beaker! The establishment used to boast a comprehensive menu including any number of sandwich varieties, toasted or un-, and a good veggie selection. The only veggie item on the sheet of photopied A4 was unavailable, so I went for one with beef, bacon and cheese. Not being a vegetarian on principle, but rather because it suits my digestive system better as well as preferring it, and surely (he asserted sanctimoniously) we're all going to have to go that way eventually, I hadn't eaten beef for a good 15 years and had forgotten how revolting it is. The other thing: how does anyone manage to do chips and onion rings in such a way as they end up not tasting the least bit like chips and onion rings?

Pursuing my route, I did check out other establishments. I did get the impression that going to a pub, whether it's just for a drink or food as well, is quite a rigmarole now, and I would do better - indeed AM doing better, just to buy packs of my favourite cans, bring 'em home from the suprmrkt and stick 'em in the fridge for later consumption in the pleasant surrounds of my, correction, our back yard. Which is exactly what I shall now proceed to do.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      I chose well when I moved here 16 years ago. Yet I feel exceptionally lucky to have selected this spot, which in itself is very nice - 6 miles one way takes me to the South Bank; 6 miles in the opposite direction into the rural North Downs. Today's journey - about 28 miles in all - had me leaving home at 12.15 and arriving at Hammersmith Bridge at 1.20, after which I returned home via a round trip taking in Chiswick Bridge, Mortlake, Barnes, Putney, Wandsworth, Clapham Common and the S Circular - and I was back home by 4.30.....
                      Thanks for that detailed report back which I greatly enjoyed reading. My parents grew up in that area - Sydenham. They moved further out during the war, buying a house in Coulsdon (fewer bombs) where I was later born and grew up. I went to school in Wandsworth, travelling every school day for seven years from Coulsdon South to Clapham Junction, where steam engines were still in evidence - excitement for a short-trousered trainspotter. I had little option but to become a Palace fan and have passed this affliction on to both offspring. I have always enjoyed cycling but was never a serious participant unlike my sister who I remember setting off on her bike of a Sunday morning from Coulsdon up to Herne Hill cycle track.

I used to know the Putney/Wimbledon/Barnes area pretty well but nowadays hardly ever go there. We drive through Chiswick/Hammersmith on the way to London, umpteen times passing Hogarth's hemmed-in house. We kept saying that that one time we really should stop off, which we duly did several years ago. A pleasant afternoon was spent, also taking in Chiswick House, Hogarth's grave in St Nicholas churchyard and a visit to a pub on the river.

Comment

• LMcD
                        • Sep 2017

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                        Thanks for that detailed report back which I greatly enjoyed reading. My parents grew up in that area - Sydenham. They moved further out during the war, buying a house in Coulsdon (fewer bombs) where I was later born and grew up. I went to school in Wandsworth, travelling every school day for seven years from Coulsdon South to Clapham Junction, where steam engines were still in evidence - excitement for a short-trousered trainspotter. I had little option but to become a Palace fan and have passed this affliction on to both offspring. I have always enjoyed cycling but was never a serious participant unlike my sister who I remember setting off on her bike of a Sunday morning from Coulsdon up to Herne Hill cycle track.

I used to know the Putney/Wimbledon/Barnes area pretty well but nowadays hardly ever go there. We drive through Chiswick/Hammersmith on the way to London, umpteen times passing Hogarth's hemmed-in house. We kept saying that that one time we really should stop off, which we duly did several years ago. A pleasant afternoon was spent, also taking in Chiswick House, Hogarth's grave in St Nicholas churchyard and a visit to a pub on the river.
                        I commuted between Coulsdon South and Victoria between 1972 and 1986. Before the introduction of the Gatwick Express, one would pray that the 0809 wasn't full of airline passengers who invariably spread their luggage over every spare seat. I occasionally used Smitham, which is now called Coulsdon Town.

Update: 0642 Thursday - 21.1 degrees C (!)
                        Last edited by LMcD; 30-07-20, 06:44.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                          I commuted between Coulsdon South and Victoria between 1972 and 1986. Before the introduction of the Gatwick Express, one would pray that the 0809 wasn't full of airline passengers who invariably spread their luggage over every spare seat. I occasionally used Smitham, which is now called Coulsdon Town.

Update: 0642 Thursday - 21.1 degrees C (!)
                          Similar situation here, and muggy with it. Having to have all the doors open at work for CV reasons will be welcome today. There will be watering to be done this evening, all the recent rain has been sucked away.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            Similar situation here, and muggy with it. Having to have all the doors open at work for CV reasons will be welcome today. There will be watering to be done this evening, all the recent rain has been sucked away.
                            Was rather muggy down here, as well, yesterday. Went down town in my motobility scooter, whilst wearing mask. Interesting to see how many people were wearing masks, actually, and were not. I know the law says only inside but there were people that were wearing masks outside. I wore mine in the more busier parts of town, as did other people.
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

This morning’s weather echoes The chorus of a local song
                              It never rains in Cornwall,
                              There’s always a bright blue sky
                              No it never rains in Cornwall
                              And the Cornish never lie.

‘Ansome tis!

Comment

• LMcD
                                • Sep 2017

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                This morning’s weather echoes The chorus of a local song
                                It never rains in Cornwall,
                                There’s always a bright blue sky
                                No it never rains in Cornwall
                                And the Cornish never lie.

‘Ansome tis!
                                Kernow bys vyken!

Comment

Working...
                                X