• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    In case nobody saw the news about the tornado which hit Northampton yesterday, here is some remarkable youtube footage of the event, seen from about a mile away. We don't often manage to catch events of this kind in this country, so it was brilliant that someone was on hand to capture this one. Pictures in the local press show allotments completely devastated, everything haphazardly piled up as if by several bulldozers operating together. Nobody was apparently injured, but there was reportage of a number of houses having their roofs wrecked.

Someone has posted stunning pictures of storm clouds on the website below, taken near The Solent last night, towards sunset:

http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/foru...-stormy-sunset
    OMG! Scary indeed!!! A rather wet day today down here! Humpf! I was planning on going out on my motobility scooter today as well.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Good grief, the gap in the rain clouds isn't over me, and there's wet stuff coming down. It's not that heavy and the wind will take away quite a bit of it but if it lasts the morning as forecast then there will be a net gain, something of a relief as watering last night took forever and only covered half of what needed doing.I'm not counting on a whole morning of rain though as there are gaps which are likely to pass over eventually.
      Glad I'm not at work today, there will likely be several no-shows in visitor bookings because of the weather which will make it even quieter, and there may well be grumbles about the lack of undercover picnic space (which is one of the things families rely on) and no alternative as the cafe is closed.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Wild, wet - and more to come, rain drumming on roof, trees thrashing about. Hollyhocks / tree lilies getting a mighty beating.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Wild, wet - and more to come, rain drumming on roof, trees thrashing about. Hollyhocks / tree lilies getting a mighty beating.
          Not much different here. Currently pouring it down and the wind is strong. July eh?
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

I'm surprised you've got any left considering the repeated battering they've had!

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Staked them, talked to them, re-staked them, re-weighted tubs to prevent them tipping over. BUT amazingly and in defiance of probability, they are still blooming wherever they may find themselves. Delighted.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Staked them, talked to them, re-staked them, re-weighted tubs to prevent them tipping over. BUT amazingly and in defiance of probability, they are still blooming wherever they may find themselves. Delighted.
                Glad to hear it - nature can be very determined, and that can be a great antidote to what is going on around us.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

A squally afternoon, with any small bits of rain immediately being removed by 30mph winds, cool rather than cold. On the plus side it did push me into finally putting in additional, taller, canes for the tomatoes and getting them tied in properly. The forecast says 'bright and breezy' for tomorrow, but I'm looking at chilly and windy(into the 30s again), which may keep visitors away. It will certainly make the main building cold as we have all the doors open as part of the Covid-19 precautions.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Hope for some cricket today? Not here, but down in Manchester? Looks a bit iffy here - some sun, scudding cloud etc............hmmm - we shall see.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        Glad to hear it - nature can be very determined, and that can be a great antidote to what is going on around us.
                        Did anyone see that parts of Trump's "great wall" against Mexico blew down yesterday?!

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

Cool today - have felt the need to wear a cardigan for the first time in a while.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

As forecast it has been very windy all day and as I expected that has removed much of the benefit of the less than generous amount of rain we had. It seems likely to continue rather draughty, and dry with it, so watering duties will be on the cards yet again.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Less cool here today than we'd been made to expect, with 20 C reached by lunchtime, and plenty of sunshine - very little of stratocumulus infill, which commonly comes with stable nor-westerlies in summer months.

As from tomorrow it's expected to warm up, reaching what is now predicted to be maxima in the London area of 32 C on Friday, after which it will cool down to just "very warm" as winds swing around from hot south-easterlies to sou'westerlies with the passage of a cold front from the west. Tomorrow looks best for a long cycle trip, heading out to my favourite destination on the Hammersmith Thames front. Question is, will the pub I always patronise be open? And will I bump into Vinteuil, who often frequents the tow path? Shame he's awol from the forum just now. How active said front will be is still subject to speculation: will the heatwave go out with a bang, or just a whimper?

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Less cool here today than we'd been made to expect, with 20 C reached by lunchtime, and plenty of sunshine - very little of stratocumulus infill, which commonly comes with stable nor-westerlies in summer months.

As from tomorrow it's expected to warm up, reaching what is now predicted to be maxima in the London area of 32 C on Friday, after which it will cool down to just "very warm" as winds swing around from hot south-easterlies to sou'westerlies with the passage of a cold front from the west. Tomorrow looks best for a long cycle trip, heading out to my favourite destination on the Hammersmith Thames front. Question is, will the pub I always patronise be open? And will I bump into Vinteuil, who often frequents the tow path? Shame he's awol from the forum just now. How active said front will be is still subject to speculation: will the heatwave go out with a bang, or just a whimper?
                                Not sure I'm much fussed about how it goes out, it's what it brings with it that bothers me - mass gatherings of sun-seekers are not good news for all sorts of reasons at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                                X