X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

And a truly bitter N-easterly now blowing up here. Described by BBC as a 'breeze'...........erm, no it ain't!!

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

Rather a blustery morning at the moment. I think we will have showers during the rest of today. We certainty had a lot of rain last night though and rather windy too!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

BUT....RAIN!!!!! At last!

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Mix of sun and the occasional wind borne shower here!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Really dark and lowering to the west of London right now, where it's all coming from today (notwithstanding the surface winds being from the SW - which is a clear indication, in fact!) No lightning spherics showing up on Lightningmaps yet, which is surprising given that this lot gave some thunder down Lyme Regis way a couple of hours ago; but we're definitely in for one helluva downpour in the next 15 minutes, I would think.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Well, it didn't! - thunder, that is: the electrified part of the squall line split, the main part now affecting Cambridge. But the rain was pretty heavy, wiping out the view beyond a couple of hundred yards, and the temperature fell from 14 C to just 9 C now. With an unstable atmosphere expected to hang about until tomorrow, I just hope it won't be raining when I make my weekly visit to the big Sainsburys in E Dulwich first thing - the dry conditions every Friday up to now, since the lockdown, have made the queuing bearable. On Saturday something rather akin to when one lump of mercury splits into two, each moving away from the other, takes place when the next low pressure system advancing upon us from the SW, borne on the jet stream, holds back - a "col" or bridge joining up the high pressure systems over the Continent and to the south of Iceland to form a bloc that is now anticipated to last into the start of next week. Winds will once again be coming off the North Sea, so with descending air it will be the N Wales, the west, and especially the region in which DracoM is located that will probably experience the warmest and the sunniest conditions, with elsewhere just pleasantly warm during the day, and with the usual cumulus flattening out into a stratocumulus cap combo breaking at sunset up to give cold nights.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

There's been a good quantity of rain here and for a time it hammered down during the night, clattering on the front door. Today has been dry apart from first thing and the strong wind is doing its best to dry things out and shred the tender leaves that have sprung up and out with the rain. The forecast suggests more rain this evening.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

The rain has just arrived.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

My goodness that was a downpour alright yesterday afternoon! Hoping for a calmer day today!
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Mostly sunny, with a rather chilly breeze. There have been, and still are, some impressive clouds trundling around but no more rain as yet. The weather map suggests it will be hit and miss for the rest of the afternoon - so I can guarantee just about that if and when I decide to go out will be a hit...However as I've been gardening all morning and so have had exercise, and the shopping list isn't urgent yet, that decision can be postponed to tomorrow which is due to be dry to all intents and purposes.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        Mostly sunny, with a rather chilly breeze. There have been, and still are, some impressive clouds trundling around but no more rain as yet. The weather map suggests it will be hit and miss for the rest of the afternoon - so I can guarantee just about that if and when I decide to go out will be a hit...However as I've been gardening all morning and so have had exercise, and the shopping list isn't urgent yet, that decision can be postponed to tomorrow which is due to be dry to all intents and purposes.
                        Plenty of lovely brilliant white fibrous-edged cumulonimbus with dark grey bases and heavy rain and hail cores around since mid-morning here, but likewise only a couple have so far made it across S London, giving moderate showers, though there seems to be a considerable amount of lightning down to the south of here - around where BBM lives, actually! These are classic "April showers" - a bit late maybe, but this is the time when the air at height as still as cold as in mid-winter, but the sun's greater strength is enough to warm ground surfaces and trigger cumulus growth - which can only really happen when surface temps are below 8C with additional; "forcing", eg cliffs or hills acting as barrier, or air streams converging. With the absence of any "cap" to limit growth, and the contrasts between freezing air and warmed surface greater than at any other time of year, this renders the lower atmosphere prone to generating numerous showers - some of which become electrified. The problem is always knowing which ones!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Looks like it’s going to be sunny intervals and lots of cloud today. Temp max 15C.
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

A lovely sunny start to the day which I hadn't expected from last night's forecast, clouding up now and a chilly wind(as usual!) but should stay dry for now.
                            Yesterday evening there was a wonderful skyscape display to watch from my kitchen (E facing) window as the sun was setting. A selection of grey clouds in various shapes, and some with a definite blue tinge, overlaying a grey wash against which the sun made a complete rainbow with, for a while, a twin above it. The low sun highlighted the intense lime green spring foliage colours of the trees, again shown off to best advantage against the grey tones. As the precipitation moved across it brought a vertical smear of white cloud(veil to some perhaps) across the darker backdrop, and also a sharp brief hailstorm, which caused a couple of typically torpid pigeons to move faster than they probably had done for some time - particularly now the gas guns and real guns have moved off the adjacent fields. Living in a 'flat' landscape as I do makes such spectacles all the more impressive as the sky is so much bigger than the ground - a continuing joy, although I appreciate it's not for everyone.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

I think it maybe a good day to look out on!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X