Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Think I may have solved the lights in the sky mystery from earlier in the month - #4725 - thanks to an item in the local news about lights seen last night. It seems they might have been Elon Musk's SpaceX (Starlink) satellites.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Lovely cloudless evening, light wonderful, BUT the easterly is biting, and relentless.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Redditch bus lane on my walk earlier today:

On my one visit to Redditch( home of the Anglepoise Lamp) , I found I was unable to drive out of the town without illegally driving on the bus lane !! I was baffled.
        And there were no buses on it.
        Anyway, nice photo JK, even though I suppose bus lanes are probably the one bit of the road system we want to see nice and busy.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Think I may have solved the lights in the sky mystery from earlier in the month - #4725 - thanks to an item in the local news about lights seen last night. It seems they might have been Elon Musk's SpaceX (Starlink) satellites.
          Supposed to be over here at 21.55, but too much cloud to get a view.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            On my one visit to Redditch( home of the Anglepoise Lamp) , I found I was unable to drive out of the town without illegally driving on the bus lane !! I was baffled.
            And there were no buses on it.
            Anyway, nice photo JK, even though I suppose bus lanes are probably the one bit of the road system we want to see nice and busy.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

At least the sky is blue today, again.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Yes, indeed as up here.
                What i do not quite get is just how unchanging the wind direction - east and east and east.
                I know we DO get days when it's like this,, but we've had easterlies up here non-stop for 10 days or so, and they are not bluffing about it either!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                  At least the sky is blue today, again.
                  Walter Wall, as nominated by me for an ideal name for a top class fitted carpet designer!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    Yes, indeed as up here.
                    What i do not quite get is just how unchanging the wind direction - east and east and east.
                    I know we DO get days when it's like this,, but we've had easterlies up here non-stop for 10 days or so, and they are not bluffing about it either!
                    Caused by yet another blocking situation, with high pressure where low pressure would once have been expected to predominate, and vice-versa. All thought to be caused by global warming and melting freshwater from the shrinking Greenland ice cap. Should this go on long enough - in terms of permament changes to previously familiar weather patterns - we might no longer be thinking in terms of Britain as predominantly westerly and south-westerly in wind directions, which was always the case for more than 50% of the time, and much more under the influence of re-positionings as the Atlantic jet stream falters and follows huge zig-zags rather than a more-or-less straight or gently wavy west to east routes. This in itself won't matter, apart from resulting in prolonged weather regimes of either the wet or dry varieties; what would be worrying would be were the warm Gulf Stream ocean current, which keeps our climate moderate in comparison with others at our latitude, to be cut off as a consequence of fresh meltwater undercutting the GS. Were that to happen our climate would probably more closely resemble Canada's or northern Japan.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Woops!
                      I did wonder.
                      Which inevitably means different cultivation profiles / patterns for agric / gardening, holidays etc. Hmm.
                      Skiing on Cadair Idris all year round maybe? Maybe even above L. Winderemere?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                        Woops!
                        I did wonder.
                        Which inevitably means different cultivation profiles / patterns for agric / gardening, holidays etc. Hmm.
                        Skiing on Cadair Idris all year round maybe? Maybe even above L. Winderemere?
                        And ducks walking on water, pretending to be Jesus.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Whatever, the easterly wind is wild tonight, and walking back against it was a real struggle. Will b e drying out every plant pot for miles, as well as bashing daffs and tulips etc etc..........still.............we do need some rain!

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Went out for a walk about 7.00 PM, and the wind , which had been fresh all day just suddenly dropped. Lovely and sunny all day here.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Yep today was just like yesterday - unbroken blue sky. Wonder if the reduced pollution has anything to do with it.

Comment

• ardcarp
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

Caused by yet another blocking situation, with high pressure where low pressure would once have been expected to predominate, and vice-versa. All thought to be caused by global warming and melting freshwater from the shrinking Greenland ice cap. Should this go on long enough - in terms of permament changes to previously familiar weather patterns - we might no longer be thinking in terms of Britain as predominantly westerly and south-westerly in wind directions
                                Not that unusual to have a high pressure system persisting for a week or so. Nice when it happens...and I suppose we think it unusual because of our predominantly SW-to-NE moving low pressure systems. British weather (with our oceanic climate) is possibly one of the hardest to predict; and all the expensive computerised modelling at the Met Office's disposal can't get medium to long term stuff right. I think they wisely stopped promising things like 'a barbecue summer' after they got it so wrong a couple of years ago.
                                Last edited by ardcarp; 21-04-20, 22:08.

Comment

Working...
                                X