• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Are you in the kitchen with Dinah?

Here's a beautiful timelapse of footage taken in London yesterday showing a procession of two cloudscapes. The first "bubble wrap" altocumulus, sweeping across from the SE, indicates instability already at around the 8-10,000 foot mark. At around 2 mins, note the sudden manifestation of surface convection in the form of cumulus at about 3,500 feet first appearing on the left of the screen and then more generally, building up and breaking through the inversion, or "cap", which would have been just beneath the level of the altocumulus seen earlier, to produce the heavy showers and thunderstorms which formed right across north London in the early afternoon, giving the day's heaviest national rainfall at Northwood. What is fascinating to see is the veering of the upper wind, with the cumulus moving northwards, away from the viewer, indicating the emergence of a surface low pressure to the left, instead of coming in from the right of the picture. Note, too, the subsequent lessening of convection as the lower air cools and stabilises, with the cumulus now building but evaporating before reaching shower strength.

Temperatures reached 25 C across London yesterday; this hot air was on the point of being displaced by colder air advancing from the north - which we now have - and undercutting the unstable overheated air at a convergence line, forcing the air upwards.

Nature is wonderful! Enjoy!

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

About to go on daily bike ride. Sunny but v chilly wind. Jacket, hat and gloves again called for.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        About to go on daily bike ride. Sunny but v chilly wind. Jacket, hat and gloves again called for.
        Too late, probably, but advisable to head north east, then by the time you're exhausted from facing that north-easter head on, it will be there to propel you way home!

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Same here, cheerful sunshine, cutting wind.
          Not many out and about at 8.30 when I was on my morning jog, just a fellow middle age plodder, a couple of dog walkers, and a woman that I seemed to have terrified from several yards away.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Sunny intervals and a gentle breeze it says today. Might get some blue sky to lookout on, with a bit of luck?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• greenilex
              • Nov 2010

Thanks for timelapse...fascinating.

We have had no rain to speak of for a very long while now. I am just waiting for water restrictions on top of it all...but it is nice not to be battling mud as well as curly spring dog fluff.

That new leaf green is quite something. I tend to grab handfuls in passing, I fear.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post

We have had no rain to speak of for a very long while now. I am just waiting for water restrictions on top of it all...but it is nice not to be battling mud as well as curly spring dog fluff.
                Yes. Our clay soil was sodden only a few weeks ago and now has an uninviting hard crust on top. Luckily, with clay the moisture is retained down below and once plants get their roots going they're OK.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Largely cloudless, bags of sun, garden looking OK, but, boy, is there a really wintry edge to the the wind here in NW - and that's mid-afternoon!

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

The morning was grey and cold, but things improved at lunchtime and the afternoon ended up sunny, and pleasant thanks to the lack of wind, although there was a distinct chill in the air especially out of the sun. Frost tonight, not good for the fruit blossom.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

A sunny start to the day. Rather chilly and some cars had frost on the windscreens but I don't think it got quite as cold as forecast. Going to be the usual trade off between working in the garden and coping with high pollen counts.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                        A sunny start to the day. Rather chilly and some cars had frost on the windscreens but I don't think it got quite as cold as forecast. Going to be the usual trade off between working in the garden and coping with high pollen counts.
                        Likewise here too. Another good day to look out on.
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

There's lightning in The Channel, just off the coast near Chichester. I wonder if we are to be disturbed by thunder tonight!

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Can anybody help - email.
                            For some reason BT have stopped letting me using exactly the same email address and password I've used for fifteen plus years.
                            And NONE of the BT 'help' pages are reacting either.
                            Have I been hacked?

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              Can anybody help - email.
                              For some reason BT have stopped letting me using exactly the same email address and password I've used for fifteen plus years.
                              And NONE of the BT 'help' pages are reacting either.
                              Have I been hacked?
                              Sorry can't help but perhaps repost on techie Board to try and catch someone who might know?

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Don't think it's going to y o all that good a day today. Still, you can't win them all!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X