X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Nah. It's the government spying on you for being outdoors!

Comment

• gurnemanz
      • Nov 2010

Must be spring. First time thermostat has not turned heating on in the morning.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Wonderful Spring day, big SW wind, warm, good sun.................and a swallow!!!!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
          Must be spring. First time thermostat has not turned heating on in the morning.
          Same here - except for having to switch the heating part of the operation off manally, which I did yesterday morning.

Might have to put extra blankets on the bed tonight, given low temperatures are forecast. In the meantime - before the half-expected clamp-down on being out doing anything whatsoever as a consequence of idiots ignoring the safety régime - I shall shortly do two of my favourite cycle trips, combining what would usually be separete rides, taking in the marginal green belt of countryside between West Wycombe to the east, Addington village - heading SW in the direction of Croydon - and the upper Shirley golf course, which has a path with views to the north running across it. So far I have managed not to get hit by golf balls! With the south east-facing woodlands among the earliest coming into leaf and possibly birdsong to accompany this should be a very beautiful run - who knows for how much longer I will be free to enjoy this one particular pleasure. Should be home in time to enjoy that other privilege of a garden here, a bit of sun bathing.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

After a dull and staggered start, with the sun trying to come through, eventually it did, been like that ever since, thankfully.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
              After a dull and staggered start, with the sun trying to come through, eventually it did, been like that ever since, thankfully.
              Unfortunately there's a lot of "infill" - techy term for when upward-growing cumulus hits an inversion, or cap - sign of rising pressure - and spreads out to form stratocumulus at that height: usually between 4-6,000 feet. Gradually the infill takes up more and more of the space between the original cumulus cells until most of the sky is covered, blocking out the sun. It's a very common feature of stable maritime polare airstreams inland - on the coast skies remain clearer of cloud, there being less convection over colder sea surfaces than inland.

My afternoon trip lasted exactly two hours, from leaving home at 2.15 - Not bad for 14 and a half miles, of which a good mile consisted of walking along very rough tracks and up hills too steep to cycle. Mostly oldish folks out for walks - a few mums with small children - everyone chatted to friendly in resigned ways.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Unfortunately there's a lot of "infill" - techy term for when upward-growing cumulus hits an inversion, or cap - sign of rising pressure - and spreads out to form stratocumulus at that height: usually between 4-6,000 feet. Gradually the infill takes up more and more of the space between the original cumulus cells until most of the sky is covered, blocking out the sun. It's a very common feature of stable maritime polare airstreams inland - on the coast skies remain clearer of cloud, there being less convection over colder sea surfaces than inland.

My afternoon trip lasted exactly two hours, from leaving home at 2.15 - Not bad for 14 and a half miles, of which a good mile consisted of walking along very rough tracks and up hills too steep to cycle. Mostly oldish folks out for walks - a few mums with small children - everyone chatted to friendly in resigned ways.
                Whilst I’m stuck in 24/7!

Another lovely day, I think today is going to be. I don’t mind so much, looking at blue sky!
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Another fantastic day up here - which I would enjoy doing gardening in except besieged by yappy, out of control dog that 'shares' the garden area! Mistress sits and smiles as it yaps and noses and bounds at the slightest movement by anyone.
                  Last edited by DracoM; 07-04-20, 12:01.

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Lucky to have a mistress....

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                      Lucky to have a mistress....
                      Possibly. "April is in my mistress' face..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Another sunny day, by the looks of it! Much better looking at blue sky, whilst being in shielded mode!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

I can only be grateful to the weather gods that they are being so bountiful at a time of such abject global depression.
                          Spring getting on well without us?

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                            I can only be grateful to the weather gods that they are being so bountiful at a time of such abject global depression.
                            It's very nice to know that some things haven't changed (and hopefully never will). Glorious Spring day here!

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Better. With the exception of some arable farmers who are busy herbiciding as usual. Mrs A and I went for a longish () walk yesterday. Most of it was in unspoilt areas, and the birdsong...including skylarks'... was truly amazing, as were the widflowers. However part of it passed some large arable fields, not so common in our area. Here, the soil looked 'dead', any grass on it was yellowing, but worse, the adjoining boundary hedgerows lacked the primroses, wild daffs, stitchwort, violets, wild garlic, etc, etc which proliferate elsewhere.

This is only a guess, but I think toads might do quite well. A huge proportion end up dead on the roads as they mass-migrate to or from ponds.
                              So every cloud has a silver lining.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Poor visibility here in London today for a change, plus a lot of light altocumulus - which as long as it remains so will present no threats: it can under certain circumstances build up to give elevated thunderstorms, but I think not today. It now looks as if the weather is going to cool down considerably over the weekend, with high pressure moving back to the north of us and a return to cold, cloudy north-easterlies, and rain possible in the south. Probably just as well, as a disincentive to irresponsible people to congregate in concentrated numbers in local beauty spots.

Comment

Working...
                                X