X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Yes - frost again here today - and my mum has just informed me that for whatever reason it feels much cooler today, thus far.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Cold again overnight and the rather hazy sky means it's taking longer to warm up so far. Yesterday the bird bath at the bottom of the garden, in shade, still had a complete circle of quite thick ice in it at midday although working conditions in the sun were pleasant.
      During the afternoon quite a lot of long streaks of cloud appeared and at first I thought 'why all those planes', then realised they were natural.
      Will need to continue with the watering can today as all the overwintered pots are drying/have dried out and there's no sign of rain coming here soon enough to do the job.

Comment

• Sir Velo
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Will need to continue with the watering can today as all the overwintered pots are drying/have dried out and there's no sign of rain coming here soon enough to do the job.
        Can't believe people are now clamouring for rain after the deluge we've had!

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Yep, watering here too.

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            Can't believe people are now clamouring for rain after the deluge we've had!
            I know it does seem mad - although I'm not clamouring, merely remarking. This is the driest part of the country, we escaped the worst of the deluges that afflicted the rest of the country, and two weeks of strong dessicating easterlies have dried a lot out. The fields at the back of me are being cultivated and the past couple of days the tractor has been followed by dust clouds - and the direction of the wind means we have the full benefit of the smell of whatever is being applied currently - fertiliser I assume. At this time of year lack of rain can affect germination and growth, and too long a dry spell plus wind can take the top soil off - exacerbated by the fact that the soil has been so damaged by industrial cultivation that it has no structure to help prevent that.
            Many of the pots are plants that were destined for the site where I do volunteer gardening and would have been in the ground by now if it wasn't closed, so I'll be having to water them for a good while yet.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Erm.............queuing outside shops to be let in one at a time in THIS weather is fine and good in the sun for the Vitamin intake, BUT guess what it can do in March in UK...??? And might...almost certainly will do in very near future?

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                Erm.............queuing outside shops to be let in one at a time in THIS weather is fine and good in the sun for the Vitamin intake, BUT guess what it can do in March in UK...??? And might...almost certainly will do in very near future?
                One will need to make sure one's staff remember their winter coats...
                However, in the real world perhaps this is the time to see if there is a suitable local volunteer arrangement/heroic neighbour to get supplies for those in need. At least in the wartime food queues one could huddle up amongst fellow sufferers and reduce the chilly wind gaps/share umbrellas...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

This morning, keen to make the most of what will almost certainly be the final day of uninterrupted sunshine and relatively light winds for some time, I left here at 11.15, and, making my way on bike via Streatham High Road in very light traffic, Clapham Common and Battersea Bridge, reached South Kensington tube station by 12 noon - which was pretty good going. Crossing the Cromwell Road (A4) one had the extraordinary experience of seeing only three vehicles in either direction - and Cromwell Road to all intents and long-viewing purposes goes on forever, with few if any bends. A smartly dressed elderly gentleman, of the cravat-wearing sort one often sees in that neck of the woods, came to within 2 metres to ask me what was interesting me: I was looking up at the date on the orange brick so-called Pont Street Dutch-styled late Victorian building, 1882, not having previously noted it, and told him that this had been my second ever school, and one of the few educational establishments I had ever truly enjoyed my time at.

How attractive London can look amid the first intimations of spring in bright sunshine, especially as signalled by the fresh foliage breaking open on its Plane trees. I headed back home, passing through the posh forever white-gleaming houses of The Boltons, where Madonna once had a place, and on past my first home (1945-58) in Redcliffe Gardens, following the southbound one-way to the Chelsea Embankment, where I took a brief breather leaning on the broad coping stone of the river wall, upon which there is a photo album snap of me perched with my tiny 3-year old legs dangling over the edge and then 43-year old Mum in square-shouldered coat and hat with feather in it, typical of the late 1940s, holding onto me from behind - it is a long way down to the crazy paved riverside pathway below! That particular spot was made famous for paintings of the river at sunset looking west by Dérain, and by Whistler, who has a statue right there. Maybe Debussy's Nuages was indirectly influenced by that place? John Ireland composed a waltz for piano titled "Chelsea Reach" in 1918 - one of 3 or 4 "Decorations". From there it was home more-or-less by the route I'd come, and I was home by 1.15 - a bit longer than the outward journey as there is more hill climbing. Literally within yards of my place I was smacked into by a couple of kids on mountain bikes who had come up silently behind me not expecting me to turn right without signalling - well I hadn't heard a sound behind me! A lady sat on a low wall a short distance off came over, very concerned, but not feeling in any way the lads were to blame, even though they had misassumed somewhat, I just said I'd banged my knee and not to worry. And it turns out all that was needed was a dab of Dettol and small plaster - just a small area of skin below the knee was dented, but not even enough to draw blood.
                  Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 27-03-20, 17:30.

Comment

• greenilex
                    • Nov 2010

I too find bicycles annoyingly silent, but that’s when they creep up behind me on the pavement...hope you are not too sore.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by greenilex View Post
                      I too find bicycles annoyingly silent, but that’s when they creep up behind me on the pavement...hope you are not too sore.
                      Thanks Ilex! The only thing that is really sore, and getting if anything worse, is the back of my poor old right hand, a consequence (presumably) of the many prescribed days of handwashing on already dry, rash-prone skin. Lesions have broken open on knuckles, making painful in a stingy way even any slight bending of fingers, let alone fist clenching! I'm not sure what to do about this. Sticking the hands in warm water and then drying them temporarily alleviates the discomfort somewhat but presumably one is supposed to keep the hands dry as much as possible? I rub in copious amounts of Nivea, but it doesn't seem to have much effect.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Bikes are indeed whispering death! BUT delighted to see them being used by esp the young.

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Bicycle bells seem out of fashion The simple type that made a sort of 'ping' that warned you were coming (but didn't declare 'get out of my way') seemed ideal. Do bikes still have them? If not, resorting to a discreet cough could easily be misinterpreted.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                            • Oct 2012

If cyclists stick to the road and pedestrians the pavement there shouldn't be an issue. Seriously, I have no qualms about using my bell to warn pedestrians (though not equestrians), of my presence.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              Thanks Ilex! The only thing that is really sore, and getting if anything worse, is the back of my poor old right hand, a consequence (presumably) of the many prescribed days of handwashing on already dry, rash-prone skin. Lesions have broken open on knuckles, making painful in a stingy way even any slight bending of fingers, let alone fist clenching! I'm not sure what to do about this. Sticking the hands in warm water and then drying them temporarily alleviates the discomfort somewhat but presumably one is supposed to keep the hands dry as much as possible? I rub in copious amounts of Nivea, but it doesn't seem to have much effect.
                              I have quite bad eczema on my hands, for which I have prescribed a cream - I presume you could get something for rashes?

Comment

• teamsaint
                                • Nov 2010

Coconut oil( if you can get it) can be very helpful for dry or irritable skin, eczema, etc.
                                Well worth a try. £2.50 a jar at aldi for cold pressed virgin oil.
                                I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
                                X