X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Fierce frost up here - now cloudless, cold and brilliant!

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Plenty of sun and blue sky, but a brisk NW wind is keeping it cold. Temperatures forecast to go right down tonight with the possibility of freezing fog to start the day - not good news for commuters.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

A beautiful morning for a 15-mile cycle ride to a gig in Chelsea which turned out to be too packed out to get into. Ah well, at least the ride was enjoyable!

Edit: exceptionally beautiful sunset here just now - golden across the horizon, thin lines of cirrus higher up touched in orange and pink, with puffy lower cumulus overhead appearing purple-grey against a pale blue sky. Could almost be a 19th century landscape painting!
        Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 18-11-19, 17:38.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Quite a frost last night. But now seems rather uninspiring!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
            Quite a frost last night. But now seems rather uninspiring!
            A lovely day yesterday but a front approaching the Scillies means it won’t last today. Lovely pink tinged clouds sunrise this morning.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Some deviation from forecast but for the better. A clear morning, pretty sunrise showing up the numerous contrails, and no fog. However the frost was much more than expected - the thermometer by the back door had close to -5 for the overnight min.The day has been clear and sunny and without wind it hasn't felt too cold although I noticed that some pots in the garden were still frozen at lunchtime. I had to clear out a small shed so the weather has been a bonus - everything could just go out on the grass to be sorted through and then put away(or not) which speeded the whole process up. The resident robin was interested in my efforts but I don't think he had much luck. I found lots of hazel nuts with neatly nibbled holes in the sides; the mice* are certainly industrious as the nearest source is 3 gardens away, but the kernel is quite a substantial meal and the shed represents dry 'warm' shelter so the payoff evidently makes sense.

* I'm assuming that's what is responsible, judging from evidence of droppings.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Solar panels and storage battery due to be installed next week.
                Hoping for lots of nice bright (doesn't necessarily have to be sunny!) weather to provide free underfloor heating in the newly refitted bathroom.
                It's really nice having warm feet (not in slippers!) as I'm having my early morning shave.

This morning was glorious: bright blue sky, sharp frost, garden pond slightly iced over.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Red sky this morning. Looks ok now but I’m just thinking how today may pan out.
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    Some deviation from forecast but for the better. A clear morning, pretty sunrise showing up the numerous contrails, and no fog. However the frost was much more than expected - the thermometer by the back door had close to -5 for the overnight min.The day has been clear and sunny and without wind it hasn't felt too cold although I noticed that some pots in the garden were still frozen at lunchtime. I had to clear out a small shed so the weather has been a bonus - everything could just go out on the grass to be sorted through and then put away(or not) which speeded the whole process up. The resident robin was interested in my efforts but I don't think he had much luck. I found lots of hazel nuts with neatly nibbled holes in the sides; the mice* are certainly industrious as the nearest source is 3 gardens away, but the kernel is quite a substantial meal and the shed represents dry 'warm' shelter so the payoff evidently makes sense.

* I'm assuming that's what is responsible, judging from evidence of droppings.
                    Could it have been dormice - This morning on Radio Cornwall about Hazel Dormice and mentiined the shells left behind!

No red sky here this morning, rather grey and rain evidence and more expected!

Comment

• doversoul1
                      Ex Member
                      • Dec 2010

Not as bright as yesterday but I don’t suppose we should complain. It’s November after all. Now that the weather is properly cold, my new (new in April) wood burning boiler is in its element, which means the log pile is going down fast. We still (when did it start?) receive £200 winter fuel allowance for the household. Very generous.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        Could it have been dormice - This morning on Radio Cornwall about Hazel Dormice and mentiined the shells left behind!

No red sky here this morning, rather grey and rain evidence and more expected!
                        That would be lovely but I have checked the chewing pattern and no, it's not dormice.
                        Dull start here today, no frost, but cleared mid morning and plenty of sunshine for the rest of the day. The breeze that came with the sun made things a bit chilly but good for drying the washing - always a bonus at this time of year.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                          • Mar 2007

Was on the morning boat from IoM to UK yesterday (19th Nov) which requires the 7am bus from Peel (west of Douglas) and at this time of year pre dawn - coming over the last hill before Douglas there was a short glimpse of the calm sea an exceptionally bright salmon pink - very spectacular + too brief a view as these days most buses are single rather than the double deckers of old.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
                            Was on the morning boat from IoM to UK yesterday (19th Nov) which requires the 7am bus from Peel (west of Douglas) and at this time of year pre dawn - coming over the last hill before Douglas there was a short glimpse of the calm sea an exceptionally bright salmon pink - very spectacular + too brief a view as these days most buses are single rather than the double deckers of old.
                            Only been once to IoM. Be good to go again

Promises of rain later today
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Dull and damp today with very poor viz - stratus clag spread in from the SE overnight, and with little wind is unlikely to break to allow weak sunshine. Only 4 degs. C.

Comment

• cloughie
                                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                                Dull and damp today with very poor viz - stratus clag spread in from the SE overnight, and with little wind is unlikely to break to allow weak sunshine. Only 4 degs. C.
                                Exceedingly wet here!

Comment

Working...
                                X