X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Yup, same here, and with a sniping little breeze too. But now, ominously still after that, as if everyone is awaiting Lorenzo.
    That reads like it's from a TS Eliot poem!

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Yup, same here, and with a sniping little breeze too. But now, ominously still after that, as if everyone is awaiting Lorenzo.

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      That reads like it's from a TS Eliot poem!
      ... a lost manuscript has :

"Oh, do not ask, “What is it?”
      Let us go and make our visit.

In the room the women come and go
      Talking of Michelangelo.
      Ominously still after that, as if everyone
      Is awaiting Lorenzo.

Ominously still, and with a sniping little breeze too. But now,
      The yellow fog that rubs its back upon the window-panes,
      The yellow smoke that rubs its muzzle on the window-panes... "

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

BUT now,
        At: 8.11 p.m.: COLD, searching south-easterly, rain. Nasty, and more brewing.
        Last edited by DracoM; 03-10-19, 20:13.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Seems not too bad at the moment. Hope the day will be alright!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

The lifting of the dispiriting greyness during the morning came with a catch. As the cloud cover broke and the sun came through occasionally there were splatters of rain, and apparently it could get to be more than splatters later this afternoon. Tiresome as I need to walk into town, but reminds me of when I was in the thick of the schoolchildren collecting years and there would so often be some sort of rain between 3 and 4. Bit like when bad weather would materialise from nowhere at 2-30 when there was a funeral at the cemetery opposite my home, and disappear just as quickly as the ceremony finished.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
              The lifting of the dispiriting greyness during the morning came with a catch. As the cloud cover broke and the sun came through occasionally there were splatters of rain, and apparently it could get to be more than splatters later this afternoon. Tiresome as I need to walk into town, but reminds me of when I was in the thick of the schoolchildren collecting years and there would so often be some sort of rain between 3 and 4. Bit like when bad weather would materialise from nowhere at 2-30 when there was a funeral at the cemetery opposite my home, and disappear just as quickly as the ceremony finished.
              Similiar here - super-saturated air near a weakening frontal system, with clag leaking its excess moisture while on the way to trying to grow into proper grown-up cumulus without enough solar energy to give it the necessary oomph. The lady weather presenter for the local forecast spoke of warm tropical air associated with the dying hurricane Lorenzo, but it didn't feel particularly warm on the ride over to St Sprees this afternoon, just clammy and rhumatogenic, to make up a useful word, maybe.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Hope any forum members are ok from the brunt of Lorenzo?

Down here, very much a mix bag. Was trying to rain yesterday so we will see what happens today!
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Oop 'ere, grey, almost breezeless, not cold, utterly still.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Well they weren't wrong about the rain warning. Hours of steady heavy downpour, so the neighbour's roof drainage has now flooded my garden from one side to the other. I've managed to deflect some of what was coming under the gate so the yard immediately outside the back door isn't under water - but I'm not wanting to go out anyway! Fortunately the door is 18" above the yard.
                    Currently the forecast is completely wrong about the wind, and I hope it stays that way; this quantity of water is quite bad enough just coming straight down but being driven at any speed would be really nasty and cause damage where the ground is too sodden to hold things up.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Hop
                      Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Well they weren't wrong about the rain warning. Hours of steady heavy downpour, so the neighbour's roof drainage has now flooded my garden from one side to the other. I've managed to deflect some of what was coming under the gate so the yard immediately outside the back door isn't under water - but I'm not wanting to go out anyway! Fortunately the door is 18" above the yard.
                        Currently the forecast is completely wrong about the wind, and I hope it stays that way; this quantity of water is quite bad enough just coming straight down but being driven at any speed would be really nasty and cause damage where the ground is too sodden to hold things up.

Hope all ok there! Wasn’t too bad yesterday. Tried to rain a few times, that’s all.
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

The forecast for this neck of the woods for this morning was for heavy rain persisting for most of the day. There was also a yellow weather warning. So bad did it look, in fact, that I ensured that all shopping was done yesterday so I didn't have to venture out today. Instead, they have got it hopelessly wrong as it's dry, sunny but very windy and not particularly cold.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Distant thunder within the western quadrant of the M25 from passing squall shower here right now, twigs and leaves being blown everywhere. Will have to go out and disentangle the washing I put on the line this morning!

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                              Instead, they have got it hopelessly wrong as it's dry, sunny but very windy and not particularly cold.
                              Ditto here. Plenty of evidence of overnight rain, however.

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Streaming it down here, coming from SE.

Comment

Working...
                                X