• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Or in Cornwall as mizzle!
    Good word: melds "Drizzle" with "miserable".
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

BUT is 'mizzle' also driven - as here - by a driving, boisterous westerly?

I bet it is right now.............what a mess we're in!
      AND
      overnight my wonderful hollyhocks totally levelled.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
        Didn't notice. Alsatian, so gave wide berth
        I thought you were referring to the dog!

Very blustery down here - and some of that "mizzle" has got going - but not quite the howling gale one might have been expected from the warnings. A couple of large branches torn from the big sycamore next door, though - they always tumble on our side of the fence!

Was anyone else "outaged" yesterday? Our power was only off for 10 minutes.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Couldn’t believe the gusts of winds we had yesterday. 50-60 mph at least. Going to be mix of sunny intervals and rain today, by the looks of it!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Still very draughty here(mid 30's mph), but at least not as much as yesterday(high 40's upwards ) and due to drop considerably in the afternoon. Plants are suffering from the moisture being sucked out of them faster than they can suck it up, as well as the obvious problems of the battering. Very sunny, so out of the wind it's warm. Grass cutting later on to clear up the detritus deposited by the neighbour's overgrown buddleia trees. I was half hoping some of them at least might have succumbed to the wind, given how brittle they are, which would get light into my patch, but then again the clearing up is hard work as I know from previous episodes and, knowing my luck, it would be the ones growing over my shed which would drop, and that would be very annoying and expensive - no chance of financial recompense from that direction.
            Mind you a colleague at work put some perspective on the situation; 'Makes a change to have a proper gale' he remarked. Having spent much of his life on the Outer Hebrides his view of high winds is somewhat different from ours... He does acknowledge though the differences which make for greater impacts in the more populous (and tree-covered) parts of the UK.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Just now looking at shots from central London, and a large tree appears to be down blocking one entire side of a square. Here, in fact 4 large branches were ripped off the neighbouring sycamore, and now lie sprawled, taking up most of the large clothes drying area. I see showers are expected later down here, contrary to this morning's forecast, so I'm hoping they hold off till after tea time so we can have our historic Peckham walk in the dry. Off now on the bike!

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Russell Sq.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Interesting discrepancy between Met report and Beeb - not the usual one right one wrong for my location. The Met shows the diagonal band of rain across the county which has just been delivering for 5 minutes(so watering again tonight) but has chance of rain now at 5%. Beeb has two fairly small rain/storm blobs, neither anywhere near me, but 80% chance of rain. Both agree on scattered showers this evening and low overnight temperature.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    Interesting discrepancy between Met report and Beeb - not the usual one right one wrong for my location. The Met shows the diagonal band of rain across the county which has just been delivering for 5 minutes(so watering again tonight) but has chance of rain now at 5%. Beeb has two fairly small rain/storm blobs, neither anywhere near me, but 80% chance of rain. Both agree on scattered showers this evening and low overnight temperature.
                    Yep; main band of thundery showers in a drooping line from just north of Gloucester to just north of The Wash: I can see impressive thunder heads north west of London. Often these get pushed to the right, either in a process known as "bowing", or when a supercell, or revolving storm, forms and breaks forward from the main convection line. Supercells are the most violent forms of thunderstorm - it is from these that tornadoes can form. Here endeth the lesson.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Genuinely cold up here tonight, and under clearing skies. If this were a month down the line, I'd say frost was on the way - eek!
                      Just checked temp here [21.49] and it's 8C!!
                      Last edited by DracoM; 11-08-19, 21:49.

Comment

• LezLee
                        • Apr 2019

Only 14° here, came very close to switching the heating on!

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Yep; main band of thundery showers in a drooping line from just north of Gloucester to just north of The Wash: I can see impressive thunder heads north west of London. Often these get pushed to the right, either in a process known as "bowing", or when a supercell, or revolving storm, forms and breaks forward from the main convection line. Supercells are the most violent forms of thunderstorm - it is from these that tornadoes can form. Here endeth the lesson.
                          A short one tonight! I enjoy reading your informative comments even if they do remind me that I always struggled with the climatology module of my degree course, it just didn't seem to click and I didn't find it particularly interesting. Something must have stuck though because even now I'll find random facts surfacing.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            A short one tonight! I enjoy reading your informative comments even if they do remind me that I always struggled with the climatology module of my degree course, it just didn't seem to click and I didn't find it particularly interesting. Something must have stuck though because even now I'll find random facts surfacing.
                            I think it pays to check out youtube footage of storms around the world, especially in the US and Aussieland, as they are the best and most dramaticallly formed. Then you get a good idea what the theory means because you can see it in action. This is especially true of timelapse footage, which shows clouds forming, moving, coalescing, building up, moving in different directions at different levels, and fragmenting, and the different forms of lightning. I find myself almost mesmerised watching.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              I think it pays to check out youtube footage of storms around the world, especially in the US and Aussieland, as they are the best and most dramaticallly formed. Then you get a good idea what the theory means because you can see it in action. This is especially true of timelapse footage, which shows clouds forming, moving, coalescing, building up, moving in different directions at different levels, and fragmenting, and the different forms of lightning. I find myself almost mesmerised watching.
                              I see those from time to time, and yes, quite mesmerising!

I think we’re going to get a thunderstorm this afternoon?
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                                I see those from time to time, and yes, quite mesmerising!

I think we’re going to get a thunderstorm this afternoon?
                                We actually had one here around elevenses time, which tbf rather caught me by surprise, even though it had turned so dark I had to switch the light on. There was quite heavy rain for half an hour, followed by what sounded by the roof collapsing. I checked Lightningmaps to find there had just been half a dozen strikes towards Bromley - must have been a really loud clap to be heard from that far away!

It feels much fresher, but the skies still look very convective, so my guess is that we're in for one of those showery days today.

Comment

Working...
                                X