• Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Tipping it down.

Comment

• LezLee
      • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Boilk
      This late in July is anyone still at school? I've noticed trains half empty in the morning, as people go off on their summer holidays.

Update: Just seen vinteuil's similar comment
      English school hols - 15/7 to 6/9
      Scottish 1/7 to 20/8

My friend reports that the Y Club Gym in Castlefield (central Manchester) has managed with the staff working non-stop in shifts around the clock since Sunday, to get the water levels inside the building down to around 5 inches. But they currently have a contaminated swimming pool that now contains shoals of fish from the nearby canal basin!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        This clips under the saddle. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg either.
        Thanks! There's a Halfords just down the road from me.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LezLee View Post
          Scottish 1/7 to 20/8
          I think schools finished later here in London, Lez.

My friend reports that the Y Club Gym in Castlefield (central Manchester) has managed with the staff working non-stop in shifts around the clock since Sunday, to get the water levels inside the building down to around 5 inches. But they currently have a contaminated swimming pool that now contains shoals of fish from the nearby canal basin!

At least the rainfall seems to be coming mostly in the form of thick drizzle in this part of the world, but all the standing plants in pots outside have just now blown over.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Sequence of exasperatingly short thunder etc storms - 'exasperating' because coming on strong, then suddenly stopping, looking as if they are over, then banging it down again minutes later. Grrrrrrr.

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Scottish 1/7 to 20/8

Fake news, I’m afraid .

Hampshire junior schools finished on 23/07, back on 04/09
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LezLee
                • Apr 2019

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                Fake news, I’m afraid .

Hampshire junior schools finished on 23/07, back on 04/09
                Bloody Google! I asked it for English Schools and that was all I got. One reason I rarely use it.

Comment

• teamsaint
                  • Nov 2010

Bloody Google! I asked it for English Schools and that was all I got. One reason I rarely use it.
                  Shame, I was all set to cheer up TOH with an extra 3 days hols.......
                  I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Rather a mixed bag yesterday! Gawd! Winds up to or over 50mph, pouring rain, diagonally too! Hoping for a better day today!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Constantbee
                      • Jul 2017

Extreme weather in the Dales yesterday: hailstorms, flash floods, (another) bridge collapsed, roads impassable. 45 miles east a lovely sunny day and almost perfect conditions for Ryedale Show.
                      And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Constantbee View Post
                        Extreme weather in the Dales yesterday: hailstorms, flash floods, (another) bridge collapsed, roads impassable. 45 miles east a lovely sunny day and almost perfect conditions for Ryedale Show.
                        I don't think anyone predicted the severity - official weather forecasters or those with much more knowledge than me. It seems 100 mm of rain might well have fallen in just a couple of hours over the stricken part of the Dales, which must be approaching some kind of a record for the UK., or that area of it.

It was reported on this morning's news that the majority of the hottest summers we've been experiencing have been since the Millennium - conversely no cold winter period records having been broken since 1963. But you can bet climate warming deiners will soon be on to say either the figures have been doctored or misrepresented, or that it all happened long ago before human input could have contributed as part of natural cycles, or caused by volcanic eruptions.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Gusting up to 40mph yesterday afternoon, rain missed here - several promising black cloud lumps and preparatory spits were whisked away at high speed. Today draughty, not that warm, with intermittent drizzle of varying wetting capacity. The volunteer gardening was rather uncomfortable as waterproofs were necessary but sweaty making.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Bit of a ridiculous temperature drop from last week - I have my cardigan on for the first time in a while.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                              Bit of a ridiculous temperature drop from last week - I have my cardigan on for the first time in a while.
                              Yes, there's been a switch around to the more familiar type of weather régime indicative of a poor summer, which now looks likely to last well into August, unfortunately. Temperatures are a still lot higher than they would have been a couple of decades ago for this kind of set-up, it must be said.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Not been a very high temperature today, thankfully but I hear we are in for another heatwave.
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X