X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I think that a fair bit of the country is getting rain today. My part of the world I think is Escaping this.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
      I think that a fair bit of the country is getting rain today. My part of the world I think is Escaping this.
      In the south and south west we are just free of that slow-moving rain boundary, which has moved slightly further north than where it was yesterday, so that Wales and the Midlands are now getting most of the associated rain, while we are still under the cloud sheet. The whole thing is being shifted north by the approach of a depression with a complex wrap-around occlusion from the SW on Tuesday, which will determine much of the week's weather (ie rain!) - so, make the most of the brief interval tomorrow, folks! I might just get on the bike, if my back's fully recovered from yesterday's 18-miler by then!

With the marked retreat SW of the Azores high, this is a marker of a poor late summer, I'm afraid.

Having just been shown the bigger picture on TV, I don't believe I've ever seen an end of July weather chart for Europe like that one, with a big, January-styled low right across Italy where there would traditionally have been Mediterranean coast-to-coast high pressure from the end of June to the beginning of October. This is symptomatic of the southward transference of the polar jet, as is the Azores high's retreat. Normally the Alps "shield" the Mediterranean region from cold north-westerly incursions right through to the autumn, when increasing temperature differentials boulster the polar front and precipitate a breakdown.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        In the south and south west we are just free of that slow-moving rain boundary, which has moved slightly further north than where it was yesterday, so that Wales and the Midlands are now getting most of the associated rain, while we are still under the cloud sheet. The whole thing is being shifted north by the approach of a depression with a complex wrap-around occlusion from the SW on Tuesday, which will determine much of the week's weather (ie rain!) - so, make the most of the brief interval tomorrow, folks! I might just get on the bike, if my back's full;y recovered from yesterday's 18-miler by then!

Having just been shown the bigger picture on TV, I don't believe I've ever seen an end of July weather chart for Europe like that one, with a big, January-styled low right across Italy where there would traditionally have been Mediterranean coast-to-coast high pressure from the end of June to the beginning of October. Normally the Alps "shield" the Mediterranean region from cold north-westerly incursions right through to the autumn, when increasing temperature differentials boulster the polar front and precipitate a breakdown.
        Forecast here for the day should be fine, but thunderstorms expected tomorrow and Tuesday, not boding well for singing outside in St Ives!

Comment

• LezLee
          • Apr 2019

Piddling down again here and COLD! 16° but feels colder, I've come close to putting the fire on!

Comment

• Joseph K
            Banned
            • Oct 2017

Rained most the day yesterday.

Today it's not raining, just cloudy, and much cooler.

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
              Hardly an extreme, most times you’d be happy with 18! ...and surely a drop of rain is refreshing!
              You're right of course, but a drop of almost 20C from one day to the next is pretty extreme, all the more noticeable in some respects as the daytime temperature was so much lower than the overnight one.
              We are now back to more normal British summer - overcast, verging on chilly, with intermittent drizzle, and folks wandering around in the associated summer uniform of waterproof jackets worn over shorts.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                You're right of course, but a drop of almost 20C from one day to the next is pretty extreme, all the more noticeable in some respects as the daytime temperature was so much lower than the overnight one.
                We are now back to more normal British summer - overcast, verging on chilly, with intermittent drizzle, and folks wandering around in the associated summer uniform of waterproof jackets worn over shorts.
                Then I suppose we did not have the ultra high temperatures this side if the Tamar!

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Then I suppose we did not have the ultra high temperatures this side if the Tamar!
                  Indeed. I already knew that high temperatures do not suit me and could have done without that knowledge being stress tested!

Comment

• LezLee
                    • Apr 2019

Or 4 miles SW of the Forth!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Another good day today!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Perfect summer's day up here.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                          Another good day today!
                          And I've gone and wasted it!

Given the reasonable temperatures and sunshine, and that this is (was) going to be the one decent day this week weatherwise, I had intended making today my ride to Hammersmith, then along the tow path past Kelmscott House to Mortlake Bridge, and back home via Barnes and Putney. But, not having the luxury of a rear rack on which to carry stuff - and not wanting to carry a satchelful of puncture repair gear "in case of" - in order to avoid getting a sweaty back, I spent over an hour unsuccessfully trying to secure a small bag to the bike's frame, using hooked elastic stretch cords - by which time it would have left too little time for the return journey before schools disgorge. But anyway, one 18-mile ride a week - to and from Sutton last Saturday - is quite good for a 73-year old. On the other hand, I ought to have shed more of the pounds by this point in the summer: I will just have to cut down on the biscuits, I suppose!

So, rain spreading in from the west everywhere tomorrow, and not particularly nice anywhere for the remainder of the week.

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            And I've gone and wasted it!

Given the reasonable temperatures and sunshine, and that this is (was) going to be the one decent day this week weatherwise, I had intended making today my ride to Hammersmith, then along the tow path past Kelmscott House to Mortlake Bridge, and back home via Barnes and Putney. But, not having the luxury of a rear rack on which to carry stuff - and not wanting to carry a satchelful of puncture repair gear "in case of" - in order to avoid getting a sweaty back, I spent over an hour unsuccessfully trying to secure a small bag to the bike's frame, using hooked elastic stretch cords - by which time it would have left too little time for the return journey before schools disgorge.
                            ... that is a sad story. If you had wished you might've done a slightly abbreviated circuit, using Barnes railway bridge rather than Chiswick Bridge - there are convenient runnels for bicycle wheels on the steps up to and down from the footbridge alongside the railway line.

It was, indeed, a gorgeous day on Hammersmith and Chiswick malls...

( ... and I think the schools round here have already broken up - so that shouldn't have been an issue... )

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

This clips under the saddle. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg either.

Comment

• Cockney Sparrow
                                • Jan 2014

The weather forecast is very changeable when it comes to rain - in my area for sure. My offspring's recent wedding was very weather dependant, and the forecast provided an emotional rollercoaster in the week preceding The Wedding Day. In the end it was near perfect.

Last night the forecast for my area (and I think yours) changed to basically dry days from tomorrow. I'm sure it can change again, but it looks like better opportunities for gardening, etc than it seemed on Sunday. I follow the Met Office forecast, including paying due attention to the probabilities (I'm less impressed with the BBC offering).
                                Met Office weather forecasts for the UK. World leading weather services for the public.

Comment

Working...
                                X