• cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Clear blue skies, sun and 24C here!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      Clear blue skies, sun and 24C here!
      Then you've beaten this part of London by 5 degrees, cloughie!

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Very pleasant summer day here - warm with a light breeze. I'll have to do the watering round before choir tonight thought as the conditions are very drying, especially for the many things in pots, and the plants need the nocturnal respite to stand a chance of absorbing the moisture.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Very pleasant summer day here - warm with a light breeze. I'll have to do the watering round before choir tonight thought as the conditions are very drying, especially for the many things in pots, and the plants need the nocturnal respite to stand a chance of absorbing the moisture.

By watering pot plants out in the sun in these temperatures, one is in danger of boiling the roots! I always wait a good hour until the sun is round the other side of the building before venturing out with the watering can.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

By watering pot plants out in the sun in these temperatures, one is in danger of boiling the roots! I always wait a good hour until the sun is round the other side of the building before venturing out with the watering can.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

The "Crystal Palace area" has just been registered as one of the two areas where thunder has been reported most often this year! The other being Templeglentan in County Limerick.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                • Nov 2010

Half an hour snipping back of rampant shrubs + some deadheading of summer flowers and watering of pots. First pick of sweet peas. Enhanced by Schumann's Dichterliebe on headphones. Half an hour was enough ... v. hot.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

I learnt the hard way last year to check the water temperature before I sloshed it on the plants. Any left in a watering can, or the first bit that came out of the hose, could be uncomfortably hot for me let alone the plants! After a while even the waterbutt got too warm, so I had to stop using it.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

24C today!!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                      24C today!!
                      Already, BBM?? It's nearly reached that here, too: we're on a northward descending slope which tends to keep us pleasantly cool, but today's NW wind is bringing air already warmed on its passage across the centre of London. I'm sure it will easily reach 27C, unless the bubble-wrap cloud (altocumulus) that is spreading now increases substantially. Yesterday got blisteringly hot - almost too much even sitting under my umbrella out in the garden, where I stayed until 7 pm!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Already, BBM?? It's nearly reached that here, too: we're on a northward descending slope which tends to keep us pleasantly cool, but today's NW wind is bringing air already warmed on its passage across the centre of London. I'm sure it will easily reach 27C, unless the bubble-wrap cloud (altocumulus) that is spreading now increases substantially. Yesterday got blisteringly hot - almost too much even sitting under my umbrella out in the garden, where I stayed until 7 pm!
                        Gawd! 24C agai. Going to be humid as well, I reckon.
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                          Gawd! 24C agai. Going to be humid as well, I reckon.
                          I think it should be all right today, BBM - more of that bubble wrap cloud spreading down, underlain by a lot of lumpy convective stuff which probably won't precipitate but will probably make for a mainly cloudy and thus cooler afternoon with a bit of a breeze getting up, though it will take a little longer reaching you!

It then looks like a coolish and rather cloudy Sunday and Monday, with it then warming back up during next week. This is my kind of summer!

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Interesting situation of it being considerably cooler midday today than it was at midnight. There is dampness falling as well - can't really call it rain.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Today is turning out to be one of the few genuinely wet days we've experienced this year thus far, with a good couple of hours of moderate rain; but I do wish it would clear - which from the indication of low clag as far as the eye can see and stifling feel of the air has not yet happened - because I have to make it to the shops nearly a mile away to gather my week's groceries, and that takes a cycle ride, which now involves an infuriating detour, due to road works at the College Road/Crystal Palace Parade junction, which will mean narrowing both roads to one lane each way, thus making it more frustrating for motorists and more dangerous for us cyclists! Even the helmetted Italian in charge agreed with me that the pedestrian island widening scheme in hand is completely bonkers!

Anyway, if you don't possess air conditioning, make the most of today to refresh your interiors with some much-needed cool air, in preparation for next week's hot weather, since temperatures are forecast to reach 32C on Tuesday, remaining almost as high in the build-up, starting Monday and lasting the remainder of the week. Night time temperatures may well break all-time records, staying up around the 24-25C levels, which would be more normal for the Mediterranean and Caribbean regions!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Yes, on the IoW, it poured for most of the day. Even places in Brighton, like Preston Road, had almost a river running down it!

Otherwise, it looks like it be rather warm here in Haywards Heath, West Sussex! Home!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X