X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Another great day, although somewhat blustery!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Pulcinella
      Host
      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      High velocity westerly up here is systematically wrecking new plants in the garden.
      Sun, cloud yes, but the wind is wild, forecast via www.yr.no is for this to continue and for there to be seriously heavy rain mid-week.

June? Huh!
      Snap! We need the rain, but can live without the wind. Plants wrecked here too, sadly.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

But now, absolute calm!!
        Literally not a breath of wind, birds in full evening song, having spent a lot of the last three or so days flying, cowering and sheltering after snatching a worm.
        But beware............bad stuff ahead judging by the gulls coming in from the west!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Blinking raining. A nearby town has their festival this week , am I surprised then, no!! Bah!
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Rain here today - somewhat welcome for the garden and plenty to do indoors - no problem!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Some rain arrived a while ago, just as I was thinking, in frustration at its non-appearance, that I might as well put the washing out. Not very heavy and not long-lasting, although there is more due later this afternoon apparently. Trouble is that the wind direction is effectively pushing the rain system away from here so unless what's lurking off the edge of the summary map is fairly sizeable I suspect we may miss it. While the rain is welcome, less so is the significant drop in temperature, now around 15.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Light rain that began falling around midday has now turned moderate here. Across the Channel a large MCS (Mesoscale sub-synoptic convective system) has now formed over and to the south of Paris, with quite a lot of lightning flashes ahead to its north, as far as Calais. The rain we're having in th SE is on the edge of that system; I'm keeping an eye on it, trying to work out if it is spreading north, or whether it will get swept away east, along with the frontal system it's part of. Some of the forecasting outfits are predicting horrendous conditions for Belgium, Luxembourg, Holland and Germany - talking about strobe lightning, marble-sized hail, near-hurricane force winds and even tornadoes! The Balkans and areas to their north and north-east as far as the Caspian Sea are showing a huge area of frequent lightning strikes: anybody holidaying down that way must be having a really rough time of it!

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Yup, rain here since 3 p.m.-ish, and NOT warm.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    Yup, rain here since 3 p.m.-ish, and NOT warm.
                    Thunderstorms are now lining up along the south coast, all the way from Bournemouth to Kent. After finishing listening to the Barraud PC I'd better be heading out for my afternoon stroll before any risk of getting caught!

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

The second lot of rain did arrive and proved more than a passing shower, so I won't need to water pots and veg tonight. Slugs are on the move from the drainpipes and waterbutt lids they've been holed up in, so I suspect my so-far pristine hostas will look different tomorrow morning. Good news for the hedgehog though.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Well!....yesterday a roaring westerly dominated, but by this evening, I was totally caught on an evening walk by suddenly feeling the whole system had swung round to blustering and showering from SE!! And it felt more like mid-MARCH.
                        June?..............huh!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Now what’s it going to do today? Hopefully not like yesterday. I think by the sounds of it, a lot of you guys had a really bad weather day as well yesterday.
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            Thunderstorms are now lining up along the south coast, all the way from Bournemouth to Kent. After finishing listening to the Barraud PC I'd better be heading out for my afternoon stroll before any risk of getting caught!
                            Really? We didn’t get them!
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                              Really? We didn’t get them!
                              Didn't happen here either. A number of "spherics" (lighning strikes) popped up all over the SE, including London, but I heard no thunder, and the clouds were too benign to produce showers, let alone storms, so I'm wondering if the computer at Lightningmaps threw a bit of a wobbly, or something.

Anyway, it's very pleasant out there today, just 17 degs C, with just a gentle to moderate breeze, and although there is some cloud growth I think I'm going to risk it and cycle over to Deptford in order to walk an interesting-looking three and a half mile guided history walk I discovered online yesterday. There's a picturesque row of early 17th century shops just off the South Circular, (Tanner Street), all with mansard roofs, that look totally out of place in the middle of London, like some stage set, but are in fact the last remnants of when Deptford was a little rural village in Kent.- they're all Grade II listed - as well as several other historical architectural relics. There are pics online, so I might try and dig out Lat Literal's thread on interesting places to visit, later on, when I've the time.

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Shelling it down here, on boisterous westerlies and swirling back to S / SW every so often!! Yuk-stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X