Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
      Looks like more of the same today!
      More than a tad breezy today with mizzle expected - an interesting combination!

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
        More than a tad breezy today with mizzle expected - an interesting combination!
        It's the water saving version of rain! Drizzle thrown hard enough by the wind will achieve as much as a regular downpour but using a fraction of the wet stuff...

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          It's the water saving version of rain! Drizzle thrown hard enough by the wind will achieve as much as a regular downpour but using a fraction of the wet stuff...
          ...and give anyone out in it a good soaking!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            ...and give anyone out in it a good soaking!
            The lad on the motorcycle arriving just now to deliver my new wireless connector summed today up rather succintly: "Can you believe this weather?? Just now soaked through me waterproofs and nearly blown off of me bike - and now the sun's shining!"

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Wall to wall sunshine, and milder - or it would be if it wasn't for THE WIND. I realise that in parts of the UK these sorts of wind speeds aren't exceptional, nor the duration of such periods, but it just isn't the norm for much of the country, and it isn't much fun at all.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Wall to wall sunshine, and milder - or it would be if it wasn't for THE WIND. I realise that in parts of the UK these sorts of wind speeds aren't exceptional, nor the duration of such periods, but it just isn't the norm for much of the country, and it isn't much fun at all.
                Indeed so. The fact that we are now "back" to what used always to be the "norm", weather régime-wise, of predominating Atlantic-borne westerlies, with their accompanying strings of depressions, doesn't alter the fact that global warming is now resulting regularly in a much faster-driving jetstream that was the case when, as a teenager, I began weather observing and recording, in the early 1960s. Then - and until comparatively recently - you might get one really deep depression per winter month, with its associated gale-force winds, travelling across, or close to the UK. Nowadays, it's almost every one that passes, with little let-up in between. Take today: the strong winds died down in the immediate aftermath of this morning's cold front, as per the usual, but then very quickly resumed. In former times the barometric pressure would have eased up in the wake of a frontal passage, and this would have shown up as a widening between the isobars. We have to wait until the régime changes, with the arrival of a high pressure system, or "blocking", when the jet snakes rather than racing from west to east, and sometimes breaks, causing the weather systems to grind to a halt in situ - which is also happening much more frequently nowadays, and thought to be an indrect consequence of polar ice melt.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Why the weather is crazier!

More of the same today.
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

"March winds...." which is what we have got. And has been part of homely wisdom for generations. We EXPECT March winds, don't we?
                    "April Showers...." which is what we have a bit of at the mo and will have more.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      "March winds...." which is what we have got. And has been part of homely wisdom for generations. We EXPECT March winds, don't we?
                      "April Showers...." which is what we have a bit of at the mo and will have more.
                      I know you are not the only one. Locations of contributors to this thread would be useful to get a feel of the weather pattern around the (I was going say country but we are international) areas!

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

OK, well up here on eastern edge of the Cumbrian fells and into the N.Yorks /Cumbria divide, it is a raving, ranting westerly, frequent showers, fleeting and surprising sun then chilled by blasts. Deffo coming S!!
                        Last edited by DracoM; 15-03-19, 14:50.

Comment

• Mal
                          • Dec 2016

It's also "raving, ranting westerly, frequent showers, fleeting and surprising sun then chilled by blasts" in the s. midlands, so you need to go *way* south.

<5% chance of precipitation 2-3pm today! Might not be that low again for a while! Must run to the supermarket, get in supplies for a week...

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Rather unexpected rain at around 10am, but quickly cleared away to leave plentiful sunshine, and milder, even with strong winds, so the walk to town for errands was pleasant. There might or might not be some more rain about now(at present the clouds are too far apart and going too quickly to give much so we might miss altogether) and then clear through to Saturday which is looking decidedly unpleasant.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Rather unexpected rain at around 10am, but quickly cleared away to leave plentiful sunshine, and milder, even with strong winds, so the walk to town for errands was pleasant. There might or might not be some more rain about now(at present the clouds are too far apart and going too quickly to give much so we might miss altogether) and then clear through to Saturday which is looking decidedly unpleasant.
                              i.e. tomorrow.

It still looks set to settle down from Tuesday, so, there is something to look forward to!!!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Another windy wet day!
                                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X