Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Yer welcome!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Copious rainfall here this afternoon, possibly up to an inch, with a solitary flash and roll of thunder down towards Croydon just after 6pm, before petering out, although the pivoting occlusion wrapped round the centre of the low still right over the top of us is expected to bring that rain in later tonight before this system moves off into the southern N Sea tomorrow morning. Widespread flooding, the legacy of several strong depressions crossing the UK, will take some time to drain away during the dry period to come.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Another dull day, and a degree down on yesterday, but at least it's fine, and drying out remarkably quickly following yesterday's relentless downpour, despite little in the way of breeze to help. A thick unbroken layer of cumulus merging into stratocumulus makes things impossible conclusively to ascertain, but in all probability any shower development, which has been taking place across the west, is being held down under a higher back shield of cloud from the bent around occluded front associated with yesterday's weather, now lying down the North Sea. Once this moves on showers could well start breaking out here, this far and further east tonight and tomorrow, but all being well interspersed with sunny intervals. It has not felt unpleasant at 7C for my afternoon mile-long walk in the encroaching darkness of an early January evening.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

This has just been added to the Met Office Weather App. Quite how useful it will be, I don't know:

Our long range forecast (which is updated on a daily basis) provides an indication of how the weather might change, or be different from normal across the whole UK.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Dry, sun, but perilously cold.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Overnight, iron hard frost, which, despite sun all day, much still extant. Wind east/south-east. Brrr!
              Temp has been substantially below freezing all day and likely to fall further overnight - snow forecast. Ahem!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

First snow of the winter, as correctly predicted - nothing dramatic, it's 2 degrees C so little likelihood of any settling, unless it absolutely belts down, which would lower the temperature making that more likely. But with a moderate north-easterly it feels perishingly raw - we're just not used to sub-average temperatures these days!

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  First snow of the winter, as correctly predicted - nothing dramatic, it's 2 degrees C so little likelihood of any settling, unless it absolutely belts down, which would lower the temperature making that more likely. But with a moderate north-easterly it feels perishingly raw - we're just not used to sub-average temperatures these days!
                  Indeed! (Apologies to Draco...) Today was reminder of what an East Anglian winter day can be like when there's a brisk NE wind - a "lazy wind" as it goes through you rather than round, and makes the eyes water, and so drying(humidity dipped below 60% earlier in the day) the skin feels raw. A few flurries of dandruff as a nod to wintery showers. Could be a sharp frost tonight.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Oh yes!
                    Was once coaching a boys' hockey U16 team - came to me almost weeping with cold on an early Feb afternoon, beseeching me to end the session so they / we could all get indoors
                    North Essex. East Anglian winters..wow!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

This weekend a second cold flow crosses us, this time from the north and therefore more moist, with Scotland, N Ireland and northern England getting the share of snow showers before the air dries out giving the south frosty nights. Tuesday will then be key, with a deep low and its fronts encroaching from the SW: how far north this system travels will determine where the heaviest snowfall forms along the E_W boundary between Arctic and Atlantic air; provisionally I'm going for in the south it turning to heavy rain and temperatures rising to near-normals after short-lived snow in the morning, then the Midlands and NW getting the lion's share of snowfall. Watch this space!

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Penetrating NE wind, but sun . Fearsome cold up here. BBC forecast 5C - it's actually -1C in decent afternoon sun!
                        Last edited by DracoM; 09-01-24, 16:58.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          Penetrating NE wind, but sun . Fearsome cold up here.
                          Ditto. The non-stop sun has done an excellent job of warming the house, but I did have to give myself a pep-talk to venture out for a constitutional after lunch! Fortunately I realised I had a book to return to the library, so could walk down there, warm up a bit and then walk back home. Given that the ground is very much in the 'stood hard as iron' state I'm not sure that tomorrow's volunteer gardening will achieve much, but as I've not been on site for 3 weeks it will at least be an opportunity to see what's appearing, and it should be another sunny day.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

Ditto. The non-stop sun has done an excellent job of warming the house, but I did have to give myself a pep-talk to venture out for a constitutional after lunch! Fortunately I realised I had a book to return to the library, so could walk down there, warm up a bit and then walk back home. Given that the ground is very much in the 'stood hard as iron' state I'm not sure that tomorrow's volunteer gardening will achieve much, but as I've not been on site for 3 weeks it will at least be an opportunity to see what's appearing, and it should be another sunny day.
                            Normally I enjoy the sense of freedom the 6-miles-in-all cycle ride to E Dulwich Sainsbury's large branch, including as it does a mile-long stretch of un-urbanised paths through allotments and playing fields, and the chance to build up an appetite on the ascent back home. Today's voyage was to say the least bracing - a couple of times my bobble hat actually blew off and I had to dismount - but the main detraction in winter generally lies in the necessity to don said hat, extra pullover, gloves and overcoat, along with the usual back pack crammed full of groceries, which together make for more laboured breathing. As with the man in a mental hospital saying why he derived pleasure from bashing his head against a wall, the pleasure comes when it is over.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

Normally I enjoy the sense of freedom the 6-miles-in-all cycle ride to E Dulwich Sainsbury's large branch, including as it does a mile-long stretch of un-urbanised paths through allotments and playing fields, and the chance to build up an appetite on the ascent back home. Today's voyage was to say the least bracing - a couple of times my bobble hat actually blew off and I had to dismount - but the main detraction in winter generally lies in the necessity to don said hat, extra pullover, gloves and overcoat, along with the usual back pack crammed full of groceries, which together make for more laboured breathing. As with the man in a mental hospital saying why he derived pleasure from bashing his head against a wall, the pleasure comes when it is over.
                              As a confirmed provincial I have no idea where East Dulwich is in relation to your starting point, S_A, but did you not have a following wind on the way home?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post

As a confirmed provincial I have no idea where East Dulwich is in relation to your starting point, S_A, but did you not have a following wind on the way home?
                                Sort of.

Comment

Working...
                                X