Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Once Sunday and Monday's dramatic-looking thundery breakdown is out of the way, next week's pattern indicates a drastic change in weather type, with strong winds, showers and intervening rainy spells accompanied by strong winds, gales anticipated for Thursday and Sunday a week ahead, as large deep low pressure systems with trailing fronts advance across the N Atlantic and Scotland on a strong jet. Temperatures will be back down to where they really should be for late September, or slightly below. The word is: make the most of today for getting out and enjoying what remains of the summer: first signs of the breakdown will occur tomorrow.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Real chill and genuine autumn edge here.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

18 here apparently - doesn't feel like it...

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

A good September day, lots of sun, and warm. Tomorrow won't be as warm - overcast and with an easterly breeze, but so far it's reckoned the rain should hold off until late in the day.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

All the kids from the block out in the garden with their paraphernalia - quite probably the last day of this year for that and sunbathing.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Huh!
              Well, up here on west edge of Pennines, the wind is determinedly EASTERLY, and it's decidedly dull and chilly.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Lively thunderstorm in progress as I write. Lightning and thunder every few seconds - all very elevated, no cloud-to-ground as yet, but hard to work out which thunder belongs to which flash. Steady moderate rain. I've been watching this as it got going in the Solent area a couple of hours ago. Oh yes it's really getting going now, quite a show - definitely intensifying right overhead with us in the middle! Torrential rain now, possibly hail mixed up in it. No point in going to bed until this moves away.

Watching this on Lightningmaps, there is an even more intense cluster of lightning between Salisbury and Winchester right now. These storms appear to be moving NNE at around 20 miles per hour, in belts about 15 miles across. Ours is now rumbling away along and to the north of the Herts/Essex stretch of the M25, with just a few isolated spherics cropping up in the Channel - will they grow into large cells as well is the question.

I think I'll leave the page open on Lightningmaps
                Last edited by Serial_Apologist; 18-09-23, 00:50.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  Lively thunderstorm in progress as I write. Lightning and thunder every few seconds - all very elevated, no cloud-to-ground as yet, but hard to work out which thunder belongs to which flash. Steady moderate rain. I've been watching this as it got going in the Solent area a couple of hours ago. Oh yes it's really getting going now, quite a show - definitely intensifying right overhead with us in the middle! Torrential rain now, possibly hail mixed up in it. No point in going to bed until this moves away.

Watching this on Lightningmaps, there is an even more intense cluster of lightning between Salisbury and Winchester right now. These storms appear to be moving NNE at around 20 miles per hour, in belts about 15 miles across. Ours is now rumbling away along and to the north of the Herts/Essex stretch of the M25, with just a few isolated spherics cropping up in the Channel - will they grow into large cells as well is the question.

I think I'll leave the page open on Lightningmaps
                  All very exciting, but perhaps better on the Weather thread than the Sunday Morning one?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post

All very exciting, but perhaps better on the Weather thread than the Sunday Morning one?
                    I see how to do that now. In case I forget next time, I have to click POSTS not LATEST ACTIVITY, so that each post has a check box.

I'd better add that I hope a scintilla of sunshine will remain this afternoon as I plan to pick rose hips (can't wait for first frost; don't think I waited last year and the jelly was fine).
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

My apologies for causing so much trouble - many thanks to french frank . Goodness knows how I managed to post on the wrong thread!

Now the storms have cleared away east, apart from a few clearing showers with thunder over eastern Suffolk and Norfolk, but they certainly caused a lot of damage in the Devon region and around Swindon. A very different feel to the air today, with sunny skies and moderate to fresh south-westerlies, and the atmosphere as clear as a bell. All down to the newly extended ULEZ zone!

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Filthy cold, driving winds, and boy! is it raining or what!!

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

THIS moaning - heavy rain, monsoon-like at times - wild, wild westerlies, rain in great clouds being swept across fells. Filth.

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Wet and very windy - mild though.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Yesterday was pleasant - warm, plenty of sun and apart from a few drops of rain around midday(but not a shower or even close) stayed dry until a brief downpour towards the end of the afternoon, and a bit more late evening. Eating lunch outside at work(probably the last time this season) gave a whole new meaning to localised showers. We were sitting on benches in the middle of a courtyard, enjoying the sun, when we heard a pattering noise and realised that a bit of rain was falling on the leaves of plants in the border no more than about 10ft away, from a tiny scrap of dirty coloured cloud at the edge of the blue patch overhead. The lack of breeze meant that it was coming straight down, and the sun was catching the small drops as they fell. Pretty, and bizarre.
                              Today has been rising wind(peaking just under 50mph lunchtime, so I suspect there'll be damage somewhere) and grey, although mostly dry so far, but on the chilly side simply because of the volume of wind rather than its direction this time.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                                Yesterday was pleasant - warm, plenty of sun and apart from a few drops of rain around midday(but not a shower or even close) stayed dry until a brief downpour towards the end of the afternoon, and a bit more late evening. Eating lunch outside at work(probably the last time this season) gave a whole new meaning to localised showers. We were sitting on benches in the middle of a courtyard, enjoying the sun, when we heard a pattering noise and realised that a bit of rain was falling on the leaves of plants in the border no more than about 10ft away, from a tiny scrap of dirty coloured cloud at the edge of the blue patch overhead. The lack of breeze meant that it was coming straight down, and the sun was catching the small drops as they fell. Pretty, and bizarre.
                                Today has been rising wind(peaking just under 50mph lunchtime, so I suspect there'll be damage somewhere) and grey, although mostly dry so far, but on the chilly side simply because of the volume of wind rather than its direction this time.
                                That reminds me of a time during childhood when staying with an an aunt in Surrey, and rain fell heavily on one side of the house, while the other remained completely dry!

While a strong wind blowing this morning has abated somewhat, in the past few minutes light rain has begun falling in sheets, obliterating the distant view. The temperature peaked earlier at 19C, and I am not expecting it to reach that value again today. I think there could be a lot of rain across the country tomorrow as the cold front associated with the deep low to the NW trundles rather slowly SE, leaving the Kent coast after dark. Temperatures will then fall below averages as winds behind this low veer north west, but the forecasters are optimistically predicting a return of warmth on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                X