X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    There's a completely blue sky outside with wall to wall sunshine but the temperature, on paper, is reckoned to be around 17 degrees. However, there is a very unpleasant cold wind which is taking several degrees off that. Walking into the wind is very nasty; find a sheltered spot in the sun and you realise how warm it really is.
    Similar situation here this afternoon(the morning was overcast so I dressed accordingly when I went out!) with the wind chill knocking the temperature down to about 15 at the warmest. Tomorrow is set to be cooler unless the cloud cover goes...
    More and more watering is needed and I am having to hold off planting out the rest of the veg - they'll just get shredded and dehydrated in the open.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

<< More and more watering is needed ..............
      Echo every word.

And just been out to do just that, and after a lovely cloudless, sunny day, the evening COLD really took me in very nasty surprise - should I cover plants for fear of frost?
      Crikey!
      yr.no giving it as 7-9C max!! - so what will it be by 5 a.m.!!
      Last edited by DracoM; 29-05-23, 21:59.

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        << More and more watering is needed ..............
        Echo every word.

And just been out to do just that, and after a lovely cloudless, sunny day, the evening COLD really took me in very nasty surprise - should I cover plants for fear of frost?
        Crikey!
        yr.no giving it as 7-9C max!! - so what will it be by 5 a.m.!!
        Did you (or, more importantly your plants) escape frost? It stayed in double figures here overnight but now we have the tiresome situation of the day temperatures only being a little above that, but with a brisk NE airflow knocking it back. 15 degrees on my sheltered patio will I think be the high spot for today and the walk into town for errands will need a windproof jacket and probably a thin scarf to close the neck gap, definitely my fingerless gloves for my arthritic hands which will be exposed pulling the shopping trolley, as most of the trek will not be sheltered from the wind.
        I gather some parts of the country will be very warm...

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          I gather some parts of the country will be very warm...
          Certainly not here! Still very cloudy though the sun is supposed to be coming through in the next hour. Forecast temperatures of 20 degrees look wildly optimistic from where we are at the moment. People going passed my window are coated up against a cool breeze. Forecasters for the rest of the week are back pedalling on the initial warmth promised.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Certainly not here! Still very cloudy though the sun is supposed to be coming through in the next hour. Forecast temperatures of 20 degrees look wildly optimistic from where we are at the moment. People going passed my window are coated up against a cool breeze. Forecasters for the rest of the week are back pedalling on the initial warmth promised.
            I agree - especially for here, as that would require a 6 degree increase from now to get there, and we are closer to the North Sea source of the chill than yourself.

That said, the sun is now well out and the breeze has dropped a bit.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

<< I gather some parts of the country will be very warm...>>
              Like up here - cloudless, breeze slight, temp good!
              BUT then...........
              skies still clear, then for some reason, temp really dropped.
              Late evening COLD.
              Last edited by DracoM; 30-05-23, 21:38.

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

The sun eventually appeared at around 17.30 but it's been a dreary day with the temperature around 14 degrees and the heating has been utilised in short bursts for part of the day. Hottest day of the year? Don't think so.

Currently reading the Leonard Bernstein Letters and a line from one written in a dreary post-war London in June 1946 caused me to laugh out loud: 'The sun came out for twenty minutes and everyone was extremely grateful'.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

A chilly, cloudy morning with zero sunshine but plenty of wind. My weather app says that the temperature is 12 degrees feels like 10. This is dire for the end of May and more in line for mid-March. It's all the more disappointing because just three days ago the forecast was for a warm week with plenty of sunshine. Think they need to look at their forecasting again

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                    • Jan 2011

Cold here this morning, with ever so slight drizzle...

...but nice warm sunshine this afternoon.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

There was drizzle overnight which has done a good job of settling the dust temporarily. The gardening stint this morning was three layers, plus a thin scarf to stop draughts down the neck, and keep moving. High point of 13 degrees. Tomorrow looks no better, due to continuing brisk NE airflow and no sun so I'll be needing my fleece layers for work.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

A chilly, cloudy morning with zero sunshine but plenty of wind. My weather app says that the temperature is 12 degrees feels like 10. This is dire for the end of May and more in line for mid-March. It's all the more disappointing because just three days ago the forecast was for a warm week with plenty of sunshine. Think they need to look at their forecasting again
                        Indeed so! Recently I've been tending to defend the official forecasters as having greatly upped their accuracy these past few years; but this last week they've been promising low 20s for this area and then rolling back drastically on the daily forecasts. Today 20C was promised for London, but it actually only reached 18C in the part of central London where I spent the afternoon - Camberwell, and no higher than 17C here on the north face of the "south London mountain". I can hardly wait for an ending to this protracted period of high pressure "in the wrong place" - it will be fascinating to see how the eventual breakdown plays out.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Grey, breezy and not at all warm here either. Brr!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Well - (or "So") - winds have unexpectedly dropped right out today, and the sun breaking through the perennial stratocumulus "dumpling" cloud blanket is already heating things up nicely down here. 16C at midday - I would think a 19C will easily be reached this afternoon unless more cloud blows in from the N Sea.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Cloudless day, but...brrrr! .........wicked easterly!

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Going Down...
                                This time yesterday the high for today was predicted as 18 for several hours, thanks to constant sun. By evening that was down to 16 but again for several hours. Now it an isolated blip of 16 early afternoon, and that's yer lot. Wouldn't matter so much except for the constant "brisk" north easterly knocking 2 or 3 degrees off that "high".
                                So back to layers to stay warm, and extensive watering duties in the garden, also potting on of things like courgettes which should be going out into the veg patch now but face a miserable and likely short existence if I do.
                                On the plus side I suppose the need to cover up reduces the risk of sunburn from very high UV levels...

Comment

Working...
                                X