Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

Much more manageable today, due to the cloud cover - the sort of dirty clouds that in other circumstances would have a high chance of meaning rain. In some places it's possible it is raining and there will be thunderstorms for some elsewhere, but very unlikely here I think. Although the humidity is still very low it feels muggy and oppressive.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
      Much more manageable today, due to the cloud cover - the sort of dirty clouds that in other circumstances would have a high chance of meaning rain. In some places it's possible it is raining and there will be thunderstorms for some elsewhere, but very unlikely here I think. Although the humidity is still very low it feels muggy and oppressive.
      Possibly you might have got some of what formed north of London and moved across E Anglia this afternoon? The West Country and parts of Scotland have so far borne the brunt of the thunderstorms that have broken out... and broken the heatwave where it's rained - which has not been here, yet.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

There have been some very dark skies here today but, so far, no rain and no thunderstorms. Lightning maps currently has storms on the Welsh/Shropshire border region.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
          Same as yesterday except perhaps for a pleasant breeze.
          Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          There have been some very dark skies here today but, so far, no rain and no thunderstorms. Lightning maps currently has storms on the Welsh/Shropshire border region.
          Thunderstorm just passed across York and the surrounding Vale. Some rain too!

Comment

• Pulcinella
            Host
            • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
            Thunderstorm just passed across York and the surrounding Vale. Some rain too!
            Indeed: and the right sort of rain, so it's sinking in, not running off.
            One great crack right overhead!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Just a few splashes of rain this evening - I only found out later from dampness on some of our shrubs and that wonderful pungent small whenever rain falls after a hot spell. The evidence had completely evaporated on hard surfaces.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

It's quite a bit cooler and yet towards the end of my walk I felt no less sweaty than on my walks on previous days. Must be accumulated heat and/or humidity.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Finally - finally - proper rain arrived this morning, heavy enough to cause puddles, and bring in much-needed air to ventilate this uncomfortably stuffy flat! What was good about it was that initially there were a couple of hours of light to moderate rain, which instead of running off into the drains would have helped prepare for the much-needed process of percolation. I even popped outside to experience the sensation! Thunder was being registered in a line stretching up along the A3 and eastward along the M25 scenic stretch between Reigate and Sevenoaks - just too far to the south to have been audible. Although the temperature has dropped to a much more comfortable 22C humidity levels have soared, with a surface dewpoint of 17C being expressed by the rapid appearance of surface-based cumulus - which, in turn could build up into further more-or-less randomly distributed heavy showers and thunderstorms (as happened yesterday in few places).

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Half a dozen damp specks was the sum total of rain here. Other places not that far away have had rain, but here my neighbour and I stood in our gardens and watched as the clouds and a couple of small rumbles moved around overhead - and then the cloud parted to leave a lovely blue hole overhead, while we could see the rain coming down about half a mile away.
                    At the moment the forecast suggests that the Wednesday volunteer gardening slot could be wet; if you'll forgive me for the doubt - I'll believe it when I see(or more accurately feel) it. It it's wet when I set off I'll take a jacket otherwise I'm very tempted not to bother... Knew I shouldn't have bothered to get all the buckets lined up and the two pipe holes in the upcycled watertanks plugged - except that they'll be needed at some point before too long - please! I don't want to have to put rain on the Christmas wish list.

Comment

• Joseph K
                      Banned
                      • Oct 2017

Currently experiencing proper heavy rain, here - thunder and lightening, too.

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Ah, so , astonishingly, it is raining. Might even be the right sort of rain with luck.

Bit of a surprise if you pay attention to some media outlets and pundits.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

REAL temp drop and a genuine chilly easterly - oh yes, and tiny bit of drizzle.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Still waiting... The last remnants of all the lengthy rainy spells we were forecast have, within the last hour simply disappeared from the map. I think I'll hang the washing out, it won't get dry sitting in the basket and at least some of the creases can blow out. Can't see any point in taking a waterproof for gardening this morning either. The significant drop in temperature will ease the watering pressure but the breeze is verging on chilly so bare arms and legs might need a rethink.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              Still waiting... The last remnants of all the lengthy rainy spells we were forecast have, within the last hour simply disappeared from the map. I think I'll hang the washing out, it won't get dry sitting in the basket and at least some of the creases can blow out. Can't see any point in taking a waterproof for gardening this morning either. The significant drop in temperature will ease the watering pressure but the breeze is verging on chilly so bare arms and legs might need a rethink.

We had a heavy downpour yesterday morning and lightning too, but no thunder!
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                                • Nov 2010

We had a good amount of overnight rain, the sort of drizzle that soaks in seconds, and good for the garden. Temperature around 16 degrees but still very warm indoors at nearly 25 degrees. The accumulated indoor heat is dissipating very slowly but that's fine by me.
                                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                                X