Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Perfect summer's day here, around 26 degrees and very little wind. Absolutely love it like this. I remember on a similar day a few years ago i put my thermometer beside me in the direct sunlight and it got up to 45 degrees.

Just a word for anyone with medicines to keep them out of the heat. I think most should be stored at a maximum of 25 degrees (mine do anyway) so I've put them in the fridge.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

We walked the Cleveland Way from Sutton Bank to Helmsley, it was OK, but pretty warm even in the shade. We passed numerous participants in this event (https://bookings.itsgrimupnorthrunning.co.uk/book/336) running (or walking) in the opposite direction- they looked really knackered...

...crazy, man!

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

I have not left the house today, partly to avoid the heat (and risking letting it into the house) and partly because I feel pretty exhausted after travelling by train to Cafe OTO to hear and see 6 "remarkable" improvising saxophonists, Jason Yarde, Harris Smith, Alan Wilkinson, Seymour Wright, Sue Lynch, and Tom Chant, plus Veryan Weston (piano), Nathan [N. O.] Morre (guitar), Marcio Mattos (double bass) and, of course, 80th birthday boy, Eddie Prevost, drum kit. Rachel Musson and Nar Catchple were also due to participate but the former has come down with COVID 19 the latter is stuck in Japan. An amazing start to the "Bight Nowhere" series of 4 Saturday evening gigs at Cafe OTO. but the journeys to and from the venue really took out of me, given recent right leg joints problems.

I am not looking forward to the coming heat waves. All curtains drawn and downstairs windows closed. Also sleeping on a mattress on the floor at the lowest point in the house to take advantage of the cooler air there. No fans or air conditioning in use, though, thankfully, it was working on the trains I used yesterday.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

Nothing but blue skies from now on! Great to have the choice of being out in the sun or enjoying seeing it, doors open, from within.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            I have not left the house today, partly to avoid the heat (and risking letting it into the house) and partly because I feel pretty exhausted after travelling by train to Cafe OTO to hear and see 6 "remarkable" improvising saxophonists, Jason Yarde, Harris Smith, Alan Wilkinson, Seymour Wright, Sue Lynch, and Tom Chant, plus Veryan Weston (piano), Nathan [N. O.] Morre (guitar), Marcio Mattos (double bass) and, of course, 80th birthday boy, Eddie Prevost, drum kit. Rachel Musson and Nar Catchple were also due to participate but the former has come down with COVID 19 the latter is stuck in Japan. An amazing start to the "Bight Nowhere" series of 4 Saturday evening gigs at Cafe OTO. but the journeys to and from the venue really took out of me, given recent right leg joints problems.

I am not looking forward to the coming heat waves. All curtains drawn and downstairs windows closed. Also sleeping on a mattress on the floor at the lowest point in the house to take advantage of the cooler air there. No fans or air conditioning in use, though, thankfully, it was working on the trains I used yesterday.
            Various palliatives being suggested for the forthcoming week in various conversations around the place. Yes, keeping curtains drawn, and doors closed is the first one. Putting pillows in the deep freeze fridge compartment was fairly successful the last prolonged heatwave we had - certainly helpful in getting to sleep, as one is gone to the world by the time the chill has gone. I found air at ventilation setting on my fan heater directed across a bowl full of ice cubes worked OK in a single room, although a friend has suggested that a towel soaked in very cold water is more effective. And a cold bath prior to hitting the sack - or at any rate lukewarm, since immersion in cold water tends to trigger the body temperature to rise so as to compensate. Inevitably indoor temperatures do creep up the longer the hot weather continues; there can be some degree of acclimatization, but I'm not sure how possible this is when environmental temperatures approach normal blood levels, as is being predicted for next Sunday.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
              As long as they are releasing it back into the lakes, all is well!

I sincerely hope predictions of 37C for next Sunday are wrong; that's nearly 100F in the old money!
              I hope so too. I think they could be right.

Going to be 30C today! I won’t be going out till tonight.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

Going up! Change of wind direction has a lot to do with it I suspect - a light SE breeze doesn't have the same effect as a "brisk" NE one.
                I need some shopping and would normally use the bus but it's an hourly service and the timings aren't going to allow me to get back before the heat really hits so it'll have to be the car. On the plus side if I do that I can also drop off a big bag of charity shop items and pick up another bag of compost to get going with the veg planters. I have several plants that should have been put out in the veg beds last month but with the bone dry rock hard soil I might just as well throw them straight in the compost bin as put them in the open ground! Using the planters gives at least a small chance of getting some return on the effort of raising them in the first place. This was the year I was going to cut back on containers and the work they involve...
                Bit surreal hearing from family in far NW Scotland about their weather - now if we could mix the two extremes together, we might have something we could all enjoy!
                Now I need to get dressed and have some breakfast otherwise the question of car v bus is irrelevant anyway - been up since 6 but after the first cuppa tend to forget about the rest of it, that's the downside of not having regular work hours or indeed much of a routine at all.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  Going up! Change of wind direction has a lot to do with it I suspect - a light SE breeze doesn't have the same effect as a "brisk" NE one.
                  I need some shopping and would normally use the bus but it's an hourly service and the timings aren't going to allow me to get back before the heat really hits so it'll have to be the car. On the plus side if I do that I can also drop off a big bag of charity shop items and pick up another bag of compost to get going with the veg planters. I have several plants that should have been put out in the veg beds last month but with the bone dry rock hard soil I might just as well throw them straight in the compost bin as put them in the open ground! Using the planters gives at least a small chance of getting some return on the effort of raising them in the first place. This was the year I was going to cut back on containers and the work they involve...
                  Bit surreal hearing from family in far NW Scotland about their weather - now if we could mix the two extremes together, we might have something we could all enjoy!
                  Now I need to get dressed and have some breakfast otherwise the question of car v bus is irrelevant anyway - been up since 6 but after the first cuppa tend to forget about the rest of it, that's the downside of not having regular work hours or indeed much of a routine at all.
                  I'm fortunate to have a reasonable bus service, close at hand (bus stop about 100 metres from the front door) which allows me to get to a Tesco supermarket in under 10 minutes, with a return bus leaving 20 minutes later. This morning I got the first bus (07:22) to get milk and blueberries. That may well be the only time I leave the house today, though, with mixed woodland walks with good canopy cover starting a minute from the house, I might just be tempted as the day progresses.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Already hot, close, processions of motorbiked tourists - yes, on a MONDAY!

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Already hot, close, processions of motorbiked tourists - yes, on a MONDAY!
                      Ah, the sweet smell of two-stroke!

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

A hot 28C but it's not humid.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                          A hot 28C but it's not humid.
                          At least that's true here as well. In fact it will be very difficult for temperatures ANYWHERE to reach the 35C now predicted for central London this coming Sunday accompanied by high humidity levels - this being one reason why temperatures that high are not often experienced in the Equatorial belt, where it tends to cloud up by midday and then rain from mid afternoon to evening, holding temperatures down, although at the same time raising humidity levels. Some idea of what the forests of Borneo, for instance, feel like of an afternoon on most days, can be experienced inside the Tropical House at Kew, where the temperature is kept at a constant 28C while humidity is kept at 100% by means of drizzle generating machines which keep the plants at temperature and humidity levels they require so as to resemble their natural habitat. We were all soaked in sweat on exiting after twenty minutes' wandering through the building - one of the lasses in the group actually collapsed! Temperatures in the Equatorial belt rarely go below 20C at night, often falling only to 27 or 28C!

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            I'm fortunate to have a reasonable bus service, close at hand (bus stop about 100 metres from the front door) which allows me to get to a Tesco supermarket in under 10 minutes, with a return bus leaving 20 minutes later. This morning I got the first bus (07:22) to get milk and blueberries. That may well be the only time I leave the house today, though, with mixed woodland walks with good canopy cover starting a minute from the house, I might just be tempted as the day progresses.
                            The bus service I would use is, by the standards of this part of the world (large fairly sparsely populated rural) also good (doesn't run Sundays/bank Holidays), and goes just about from door to door (Lidl, Tesco, Aldi all in same place), and now I have my bus pass makes financial sense. Today though the car was the better option - got the shopping - including a Lidl anti-waste fruit and veg box (which I can't get back when I go by bus) and a bag of compost (ditto), Gfree items from Tesco, and dropped off the charity things, all done before it got just too hot.
                            It seems to be too hot for the car's temp read out as well. It reckoned after 30 mins in Lidl car park that it was 20 degrees, which increased after a similar stay in the town car park to 21 - the carpark readout reckoned 32 - I always amend that one as it can be a bit imaginative, partly due to its position, but even so I think that was nearer the mark. Perhaps 14 years ago(age of car) it wasn't considered necessary to go beyond the 20s?
                            Backdoor temp peaked at 35 ( probably shouldn't have left the trays of drying bulbs out, oh well bit late now!) but it's becoming overcast and a bit more breeze so heading down a bit.

Comment

• Joseph K
                              Banned
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                              At least that's true here as well. In fact it will be very difficult for temperatures ANYWHERE to reach the 35C now predicted for central London this coming Sunday accompanied by high humidity levels - this being one reason why temperatures that high are not often experienced in the Equatorial belt, where it tends to cloud up by midday and then rain from mid afternoon to evening, holding temperatures down, although at the same time raising humidity levels. Some idea of what the forests of Borneo, for instance, feel like of an afternoon on most days, can be experienced inside the Tropical House at Kew, where the temperature is kept at a constant 28C while humidity is kept at 100% by means of drizzle generating machines which keep the plants at temperature and humidity levels they require so as to resemble their natural habitat. We were all soaked in sweat on exiting after twenty minutes' wandering through the building - one of the lasses in the group actually collapsed! Temperatures in the Equatorial belt rarely go below 20C at night, often falling only to 27 or 28C!

Comment

• french frank
                                Administrator/Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

After an exhausting day sheltering indoors from the heat, I'd settled down for the evening with my book but found I kept nodding off (I wake very early these mornings). So I decided to go out for a stroll round the Common for an hour. Still 28C and not much breeze, but with the sun lower in the sky it wasn't so oppressive and the fresh air was good. Now back to the book.
                                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                                X