• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Joseph K
    Banned
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
    A good day, today, for today, on my birthday! 66 today!
    Happy birthday, BBM! This is a nice time of the year, I think, to have a birthday.

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Sunny breezy and warm with the pollen counts going through the roof... In recent years I've been finding that although staying indoors can reduce some of the symptoms it can make others more tiresome and it does nothing to improve my mental state which rather negates the relief of physical symptoms. Now I just take each day on its balance of triggers, things that need doing, things I want to do, and act accordingly. I do use antihistamines but not regularly - their efficacy is not particularly great and the side effects are unwelcome if taken for more than two days. Fortunately as I've got older the non-stop sneezing response has greatly diminished, which does make things a bit easier to manage - at work for instance.
      The selection of weather over the past few days has been quite something. Bumping along at 11 degrees one day rising through the night to 14 then next day peaking at 21, a day of rain that's sucked up the next by wind and sun... The rain has been welcome with many folks rejoicing that their waterbutts have now finally filled up, but the concurrent low temps not so welcome with instances of heating being put on in the evening a couple of times - shouldn't happen in June as one of my managers remarked yesterday.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

A reasonably pleasant morning, cool but sunny, was followed by a sudden temperature drop in the afternoon, a significant increase in the wind and a shower, Chatting to people in town, the constant poor weather is getting folk down. It's already June, but feels like mid-March with little improvement anywhere in sight. It does seem like those non-summers we had back in the 1980s following the superb one of 1984.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Picked up my new specs this afternoon - the salesperson asked me if I wanted to put them on immediately; I told him I'd stick to my cheapoes for the time being. "Want to save them for a special day?" he then asked!

I decided to celebrate by cycling a round trip journey home via Streatham Common, which is at it loveliest at this time of the year. The usually well-manicured grounds of Norwood House have been left to go to seed this year - whether for "re-wilding" purposes or to save on gardeners, who knows! - hardly a soul was to be seen, not even the usual dog walkers.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
            Happy birthday, BBM! This is a nice time of the year, I think, to have a birthday.
            Thank you.

Not too bad today. Rather windy, though.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Not a bad day today! Around 19C, cloudand sunny intervals.
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

Warm and windy, sun and cloud, bits of rain here.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

72hrs of WILD, wild westerlies.
                  Flattened many plants eg hollyhocks, lupins, foxgloves.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    72hrs of WILD, wild westerlies.
                    Flattened many plants eg hollyhocks, lupins, foxgloves.
                    Oh no! Rather a good day, here.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                      Oh no! Rather a good day, here.
                      Here as well - nothing out of the ordinary, but warm enough for a ride over to Peckham for a 1970s street market thingy under railway arches off Old Kent Road. Lots of orange tat, some nice but grossly overpriced glassware, and somebody selling 70s vinyl LPs that appeared to be mint, of which only two seemed of any interest, however, assuming vinyl to be your thing. Came back empty-handed, but it was a very pleasant and appetite-stimulating trip. Sad however to observe fewer folks taking advantage of the normally crowded pub forecourts than usually to be seen at this time of the year, especially given the weather: a sign that people are beginning to struggle, I would guess.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

On an unrelated matter, A gigantic thunderstorm is currently happening over the Russian-occupied east of Ukraine at the present moment. I can't help but fervently hope about the likely effects this could have in bogging down the occupiers to the advantage of the resistance.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          Here as well - nothing out of the ordinary, but warm enough for a ride over to Peckham for a 1970s street market thingy under railway arches off Old Kent Road. Lots of orange tat, some nice but grossly overpriced glassware, and somebody selling 70s vinyl LPs that appeared to be mint, of which only two seemed of any interest, however, assuming vinyl to be your thing. Came back empty-handed, but it was a very pleasant and appetite-stimulating trip. Sad however to observe fewer folks taking advantage of the normally crowded pub forecourts than usually to be seen at this time of the year, especially given the weather: a sign that people are beginning to struggle, I would guess.
                          Sounds like a great time! Another good day, down hereabouts!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Almost similar to yesterday - cumulus forming mid-morning then spreading out as stratocumulus, and breaking up mid-afternoon - but lighter winds. A two-day heatwave is expected for the south, beginning on Thursday then peaking with maximum temperatures around 30C on Friday, to be followed by a wet and possibly thundery Saturday.

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Top temp up here today was 12C. PLus sneaky westerly. NOT midsummer stuff.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                                • Jan 2011

Lovely day in Shropshire. Just right for a circular walk Carding Mill Valley - Pole Hill - Town Brook Valley - Carding Mill. Fantastic 360 degree views from the top of the Long Mynd (https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/car...-the-long-mynd)

Comment

Working...
                                X