X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    I have to pat myself on the back for the fact that my forecast for today has turned out exactly as I predicted for this neck of the woods. Tomorrow and Sunday being two of those will it/won't it kind of days I'm not betting my hedges. Eye test Sunday (2.30pm Specsavers, Brixton) - maybe I'll find out if there are any concerns over my visual field impairments. "You'll get a reduction as you're well over 60" the booking lady said; "You'd never know though, would you!" I said.
    It's been very sunny here with the temperature allegedly at around 16 degrees but, my goodness, the wind! It's been absolutely ferocious here with trees, now in ful leaf, flapping around alarmingly. The BBC forecast for Sunday and Monday for this neck of the woods looks dire with temperatures at a high of 12 degrees 'feels like 9 degrees'.

On the subject of trees, I'm told that two specimens that mysteriously appeared in my garden over the winter are, in fact, ash trees and, as they are both quite close to the kitchen, should be uprooted asap or damage to the house foundations can occur. I know very little (aka nothing) on the subject. Can someone who knows about these things say whether I should be concerned?
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post

On the subject of trees, I'm told that two specimens that mysteriously appeared in my garden over the winter are, in fact, ash trees and, as they are both quite close to the kitchen, should be uprooted asap or damage to the house foundations can occur. I know very little (aka nothing) on the subject. Can someone who knows about these things say whether I should be concerned?
      Can't say I know any more than you, but I would have thought having two Ash trees growing close to one's kitchen is not a good idea

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
        Can't say I know any more than you, but I would have thought having two Ash trees growing close to one's kitchen is not a good idea
        Given the ravages of ash dieback disease the chances of them getting big enough to cause problems are slim I would have thought?

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Given the ravages of ash dieback disease the chances of them getting big enough to cause problems are slim I would have thought?
          They are too close to the house anyway and given the alarming sight of them flapping around in the ferocious wind here today, they will have to go.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Going to fe a great day today! I’m not talking about the Euros, either!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
              Going to fe a great day today! I’m not talking about the Euros, either!
              Glad to hear it BBM.
              Here it's cold, windy and, as usual, dry. Later I shall be excavating planting holes for dwarf french bean seedlings (and soothing battered wrist joints after) and starting on the serious watering task - several joined hose lengths to reach and a lot of time to ensure a reasonable quantity administered. Whatever the water cost (and so far, over the last couple of years when heavy watering has also been necessary, it has been affordable) has to be set against potential loss of new fruit trees and bushes and time lost ( a consideration at my time of life) if they have to be replaced, and the cost of lost veg crops in terms of buying (lesser substitutes) from a shop. When I can get the two extra waterbutts set up that will help but it doesn't take long to empty them when faced with weeks without rain during the growing season.

Comment

• Joseph K
                Banned
                • Oct 2017

It's 13 degrees - I've taken my three-quarters off and put trousers back on.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Nasty little showers bringing surprisingly cold rain. Bit of a shock on a local shop rush.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    It's 13 degrees - I've taken my three-quarters off and put trousers back on.
                    Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                      It's 13 degrees
                      It says 11 degrees here and there's been more than one recent Christmas Day that has exceeded that. There's a weak sun struggling to get through a great mass of billowing cloud and there's a momentary lift of a degree or two in warmth when it does. Rain threatens but that's all it's done so far. Little wind, thank goodness!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        It says 11 degrees here and there's been more than one recent Christmas Day that has exceeded that. There's a weak sun struggling to get through a great mass of billowing cloud and there's a momentary lift of a degree or two in warmth when it does. Rain threatens but that's all it's done so far. Little wind, thank goodness!
                        Yes the weather has once again taken a reverse decision - something of a rare event in times past when Atlantic jet streams could be relied on to move things on, apart from the occasional Siberian-borne winter cold or, equally rarely, generous summer visitation by the Azores high. It remains to be seen how this will pan out for the coming weekend. There was a moving report on the London lunchtime news about the street party that has been laid out for the 72 victims of Grenfell, a short distance from the site, under a section of the Westway flyover.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Temp drop here as forecast. Just been out again: temp = 7C
                          Nasty little NW wind too.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

Cold last night, the recording station had 0 degrees at 5am and my backdoor thermometer only just got to 4 as the overnight minimum. Good thing I didn't leave my trays of tender veg plants out last night - the tomatoes would have turned blue (although probably survived) and the melons and peppers might have decided to bid me farewell. Currently hovering around 13, and that only because the cloud has thinned and occasional breaks allow a few scraps of sun to get through.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                              • Jan 2011

Lovely day today here with a nice walk along The Shawl at Leyburn, following a morning watching A Great Day in Harlem as part of the Swaledale Festival.

Returned under greying skies, just in time to cut the grass and do a bit of gardening, filling the compost bin before tomorrow's collection, just as the rain started.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

I think today will be a mixed day.
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X