X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

We having a max of 12C. Cloudy with sun.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Yesterday morning I woke up to Day 10 of severe back pain. After lunch I came in here and spent 3 hours at the computer. When I got up I was delighted to discover that the pain had almost completely gone! There was an amazing sunset, with a long plume of cirrostratus illuminated a vivid salmon pink, so I decided to celebrate both events with a 2-mile walkabout, during which that sky went through an amazing slow transition of different cloud shapes and colours: pink, orange, purple, slate grey, turquoise, gold. And as darkness fell there were the street lights, illuminated interiors visible through uncurtained windows, and groups of happy boisterous schoolgirls making their ways home, to accompany me. Such a relief, and I'm still OK today: off now to the shops on what is turning out to be another mild albeit cloudy day.

Tomorrow night could see the first substantial rain in the SE since Jan 8th, as a cold front cuts through, introducing colder north-westerlies, but only for a day or so before it warms up once more for the weekend.

Comment

• johncorrigan
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
        Yesterday morning I woke up to Day 10 of severe back pain. After lunch I came in here and spent 3 hours at the computer. When I got up I was delighted to discover that the pain had almost completely gone! There was an amazing sunset, with a long plume of cirrostratus illuminated a vivid salmon pink, so I decided to celebrate both events with a 2-mile walkabout, during which that sky went through an amazing slow transition of different cloud shapes and colours: pink, orange, purple, slate grey, turquoise, gold.
        Glad to hear the back pain has relented, S_A, and that sounded like a beautiful stroll.

We were in Edinburgh on Sunday night and missed the worse effects of Storm Corrie, though there are houses around here which are power-free still. About a half hour drive north of us is Edzell. Coming off the A90 just past Brechin you head along a beautiful, long, straight stretch of road surrounded by forest, before going through the archway and into the village. Sadly, a lot of that forest is now no more, taken out by Corrie. Some of the pictures are quite shocking, with locals saying that they feel they live in a place they no longer recognise.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

10C and hazy sun. Warm work just now doing some light gardening. Bulbs are pushing through with a few daffs in bud.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by johncorrigan View Post
            Glad to hear the back pain has relented, S_A, and that sounded like a beautiful stroll.

We were in Edinburgh on Sunday night and missed the worse effects of Storm Corrie, though there are houses around here which are power-free still. About a half hour drive north of us is Edzell. Coming off the A90 just past Brechin you head along a beautiful, long, straight stretch of road surrounded by forest, before going through the archway and into the village. Sadly, a lot of that forest is now no more, taken out by Corrie. Some of the pictures are quite shocking, with locals saying that they feel they live in a place they no longer recognise.
            https://news.stv.tv/north/unrecognis...lik-and-corrie
            The same happened to many woodlands in Surrey, Sussex and Kent during the infamous October '87 "Hurricane", aerial shots from aircraft showing entire areas of trees lying prone, following what must either have been massive gusts or a tornado of some kind; and also in Bristol in 1990, where in Victoria Park a line of 8 mature lime trees were felled. The one at the end was still rooted, however, and the council chopped the main trunk into slices for children to clamber over. The stump then re-sprouted multiple stems, and had become a sizeable bush by the time I left Bristol in 1993, demonstrating nature's amazing capacity for renewal. Nevertheless, with slow rates of growth, our temperate woods will take a lot longer to recover from the repeated storms now being experienced than can tropical rainforests following hurricanes.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

To me, it’s a a cold day! Colder than it has been.
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

Good day today 8C bit of sun, some blue sky, no rain, light cloud and a gentle breeze!
                Spoke too soon, greyer and a little drizzle now.
                Last edited by cloughie; 03-02-22, 11:18.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Oh it’s raining down hereabouts! 9C. Yuk!
                  Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Cold, wet and windy, although should improve on the wetness front by midday. The mass of cloud on the weather map has certainly move some distance in the last couple of hours so that may well happen as forecast.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

Rain has passed. Sunny and breezy and the washing is out, resulting in cold fingers - still only 4C at 11 am.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Yes, much same here: temp -1C, AND you can feel the much forecasted NW Arctic generated winds etc already edging in.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Temperature fell from 9C to 4C between 8 and 9am, as the cold front and its moderate rain passed through here this morning - a pretty big drop. By the time the rain belt had almost petered out it was down to 2C, and is even now only 5C, with plenty of puffy cumulus being carried on a moderate-to-fresh west-north-westerly, though with no convergence lines apparent - this being a very straight airstream - any "wintry" showers feeding through from the Irish Sea and building up over elevated parts of the North, Scotland, Wales and Dartmoor will probably fizzle out by the time they reach us: without "forcing factors" (such as mountains, wind convergence lines, or forced convection in proximity to the centre of deep depressions) ground temperatures need to be 8 C or above for inland showers to generate.

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

It did clear up and the sun came out for a couple of hours. The wind was strong, blustery and perishing cold, so by the time I had walked back from town with an unexpected (and heavy) haul of books from the library which was having a sale of withdrawn books I was thoroughly cold and uncomfortable(back and joints complaining), so I've postponed the bus trip to get supermarket shopping until tomorrow. Cloud arrived early afternoon but still glimpses of the sun and pale blue sky. The wind is picking up again so it's going to be cold tonight.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                              It did clear up and the sun came out for a couple of hours. The wind was strong, blustery and perishing cold, so by the time I had walked back from town with an unexpected (and heavy) haul of books from the library which was having a sale of withdrawn books I was thoroughly cold and uncomfortable(back and joints complaining), so I've postponed the bus trip to get supermarket shopping until tomorrow. Cloud arrived early afternoon but still glimpses of the sun and pale blue sky. The wind is picking up again so it's going to be cold tonight.
                              I too shall be supermarketing tomorrow - first thing. At half nine the local St Sprees or the Tescos in Brixton is still virtually empty - this compares so starkly with where I lived previously, not far off the M25, and where by 9.30 the car park to the large Tescos would already be packed and the shop full of people dashing around with big trolleys stacked up to the ceiling: my guess is that around here at that ungodly hour, most people are still sleeping off the effects of partying the night before!

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Sleet, sun, fast clouds, snow, driving NW wind here.

Comment

Working...
                                X