• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
    That’ll be good to see!

At the moment, we have rain. I think the weather people forecasted it wrong?
    They had said earlier that there would be some early rain down in Kent, but they didn't predict the near-downpour that occurred here just before midday, and even took me by surprise! I can only think the front that passed through yesterday rejuvenated and returned as a warm front, since the wind suddenly switched from southerly to westerly. The first part of next week still promises some exceptionally high temperatures for the SE: I am actually back on salads - partly as part of my worthy contribution to energy saving ("what's the use if the Chinese aren't?" as the climate change right wing deniers always repeat), partly because I enjoy them!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Some great pics attached of thunder clouds recently taken in the Caribbean zone, posted on UKweatherworld - BTW I frequently visit this site, without being enrolled - it's a great place to hang out, a sort of all-in weather site for experts and amateurs to exchange ideas and experiences.

Click on the top photo to enlarge, then scroll down to see the rest by clicking on the arrow on the right.

Hi all Im just back from another 11 week trip over the better months of the year for weather out in the Caribbean. It was a good trip all round though somewhat frustrating in terms of photography as we were on a steady run back and forth between Trinidad and Guyana and whilst this kept us relativ...

Incidentally the reason thunder clouds within the tropics always appear more impressive than the ones we get back home is because they really are! The atmosphere bulges around the tropical belt, the base of the troposphere being higher than at our latitude, and this allows the cumulonimbus storm-producing clouds in that region to grow to heights as high as 60,000 above sea level - at which point they come up against the tropospheric inversion, or "cap", spreading out into the characteristic "anvil cloud" shape so well exhibited on these shots - whereas over the UK thunder clouds rarely exceed 40,000 feet in height, even in summer.

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Been a good day today - good week in fact - I suspect we are not going to keep it for next week!

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
          Been a good day today - good week in fact - I suspect we are not going to keep it for next week!
          Unfortunately, not, by the looks of it.

Today is pogoing to be the best day.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Dreich.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
              Unfortunately, not, by the looks of it.

Today is pogoing to be the best day.
              I always knew you to be a closet punk rocker, BBM...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                I always knew you to be a closet punk rocker, BBM...
                Oh yes! BBMish, strikes again.

I think, not a very inspiring day, is on the cards!
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

A nondescript day according to the forecast, grey with rain later, so the washing will need to go out now to take advantage of the air movement before the wet cancels it out.
                  Yesterday was a bit short on full sunshine, but a gentle breeze and lack of rain were particularly welcome for the event at work as most of it was outside, and it became quite mild from midday on as well.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    A nondescript day according to the forecast, grey with rain later, so the washing will need to go out now to take advantage of the air movement before the wet cancels it out.
                    Yesterday was a bit short on full sunshine, but a gentle breeze and lack of rain were particularly welcome for the event at work as most of it was outside, and it became quite mild from midday on as well.
                    Not non-descript here - just wet and looks like it will be for a day or three!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Not non-descript here - just wet and looks like it will be for a day or three!
                      Indeed the weather seems to be behaving precisely as one would expect at this time of year; and it's a long time since I have been able to say as much!

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Fells invisible in thick white mist / rain / cloud all day. Serious temp drop too.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
                          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          Fells invisible in thick white mist / rain / cloud all day. Serious temp drop too.
                          Indeed...

...But now uncharacteristically warm outside and 18C predicted tomorrow

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

V mild. Central heating not turned on and living room temp shows 24C at this moment. 15 outside.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

Mild down here, too, but would, wet and windy.
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

The early low cloud with drizzle has broken to some extent here, with temperature up to 19 C, but a fresh to gusting strong breeze, as expected with a tightening pressure gradient. The latter will be face-on as I return from a shopping spree this afternoon, which will not be much fun - but winds from the subtropical source have to be strong enough by this stage in the season to carry such high surface temperatures this far north.

Tonight the ever-inevitable cold front swings right through, to be followed by successive shortwave convergence troughs, each one bringing strong winds and heavy rain tomorrow, especially south of the Midlands, where a broad yellow warning of thunderstorms has been out out for the morning, followed by much cooler brisk west-north-westerlies, but gradually drying conditions lasting up to the weekend, though the outlook continues to look changeable and fast-moving.

Comment

Working...
                                X