• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Major downpour expected in the SE tomorrow, with gales likely, even inland - yellow warning issued: a day for catching up on unwatched DVDs. Glad I got my major weekly shop done this afternoon!
    We certainly Ave that! All day long!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
      • Nov 2015

Major downpour expected in the SE tomorrow, with gales likely, even inland - yellow warning issued: a day for catching up on unwatched DVDs. Glad I got my major weekly shop done this afternoon!
      Was forecast and came to pass. Has been wet,very windy and cold, since midday. The morning was dry for errands in town, and by doing the out of town shopping at lunchtime I avoided the worst of the wet. It was a bit of a gamble as I'm trying out my newly acquired buspass (excellent timing given that getting petrol is still proving impossible at the few times I have had the car out - filling stations shut by late morning) and so would be more exposed to the weather walking between locations and waiting at bus stops, but got damp rather than soaked so paid off - not least for saving fuel for an important "do" at work tomorrow.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
        Was forecast and came to pass. Has been wet,very windy and cold, since midday. The morning was dry for errands in town, and by doing the out of town shopping at lunchtime I avoided the worst of the wet. It was a bit of a gamble as I'm trying out my newly acquired buspass (excellent timing given that getting petrol is still proving impossible at the few times I have had the car out - filling stations shut by late morning) and so would be more exposed to the weather walking between locations and waiting at bus stops, but got damp rather than soaked so paid off - not least for saving fuel for an important "do" at work tomorrow.
        It could turn out that some areas in the south, especially around the Solent area, have had their wettest day for 25 years. We'll have to wait and find out.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

It could turn out that some areas in the south, especially around the Solent area, have had their wettest day for 25 years. We'll have to wait and find out.
          Seemed like it here, yesterday!

I think we going to get some more wet weather.
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
            Seemed like it here, yesterday!

I think we going to get some more wet weather.
            Yep BBM - Tuesday: could be very windy behind the depression as it crosses the middle of the country. Thereafter high pressure over the Continent means long fetch winds approaching from the Azores, which means it will warm up from Thursday onwards. We could even get a 21 C out of this!

Comment

• oddoneout
              • Nov 2015

Yep BBM - Tuesday: could be very windy behind the depression as it crosses the middle of the country. Thereafter high pressure over the Continent means long fetch winds approaching from the Azores, which means it will warm up from Thursday onwards. We could even get a 21 C out of this!
              Dry all day and lots of sunshine, but got suddenly very windy at lunchtime. The "do" at work was under cover in the marquee that's put up for the season - not going to blow away as bolted to the ground, but the flapping of the sides (some left unlaced for extra ventilation) and the clanking of the metal fixings made it sound like being in a marina!
              As a bonus to an already pretty good day I managed to get some petrol on the way home, so should be OK for work and other commitments for the next fortnight, which is a big relief as it was getting a bit too close to the wire for comfort and no evidence of improvement in supply on the forecourts, with filling stations in town shut from early/mid-morning on.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Dry all day and lots of sunshine, but got suddenly very windy at lunchtime. The "do" at work was under cover in the marquee that's put up for the season - not going to blow away as bolted to the ground, but the flapping of the sides (some left unlaced for extra ventilation) and the clanking of the metal fixings made it sound like being in a marina!
                As a bonus to an already pretty good day I managed to get some petrol on the way home, so should be OK for work and other commitments for the next fortnight, which is a big relief as it was getting a bit too close to the wire for comfort and no evidence of improvement in supply on the forecourts, with filling stations in town shut from early/mid-morning on.
                Could have been one of the passing showers that hit us here in London this afternoon. A lot of umbrellas all of a sudden became serious struggles to deal with, turning inside out! Mine was OK, held out in front of me as a shield - passers-by scattering in all directions!

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                  • Nov 2010

I can well believe it.

The fireplace that I've been decommissioning so that it can house an incoming CD and amp was letting in a fair amount of water via the flue, convincing me that a new cowl is needed up top to avoid an expensive bang at some point.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Wouldn't that be something to look forward too!

I think we probably going to have more of an intermittent, showery day, today.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

LASHING it down up here.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

Reports of a forthcoming heatwave in the press have been greatly exaggerated, I have to say.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Reports of a forthcoming heatwave in the press have been greatly exaggerated, I have to say.
                          Bummer. Still, at least no rain today, down here today!
                          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                            • Nov 2015

After a rather heavy downpour as the sun came up it has settled into a pleasant autumn day, rather windy but plenty of sun, mild, and remaining dry - the threat of afternoon showers didn't materialise. On the downside it looks rather as if the incoming weather is going to be later than originally suggested so not clearing sufficiently during the night which means that this week's volunteer gardening will almost certainly have to be a pass - tiresome as last week I had to miss due to not being able to get petrol and needing to prioritise work availability.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

After a rather heavy downpour as the sun came up it has settled into a pleasant autumn day, rather windy but plenty of sun, mild, and remaining dry - the threat of afternoon showers didn't materialise. On the downside it looks rather as if the incoming weather is going to be later than originally suggested so not clearing sufficiently during the night which means that this week's volunteer gardening will almost certainly have to be a pass - tiresome as last week I had to miss due to not being able to get petrol and needing to prioritise work availability.
                              Similar down here too, re the rain. Quite a downpour, too!
                              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

The cloud is breaking up and there are the faintest hints of blue in a couple of places, so I think I'll risk the gardening - I have things to do that don't require standing on the soil, and if I take wellies the wet grass won't be an issue. Conditions due to deteriorate at the end of the afternoon, so I might as well get my fresh air and exercise while I can!

Comment

Working...
                                X