X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Now 22C! High of 27C. Possible thunderstorms at midday! Gawd! We had some thunder yesterday evening!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

It's shaping up to be another glorious summer's day here. Wall-to-wall sunshine promised with a high of 28 degrees promised.

What's not to like?
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• gurnemanz
        • Nov 2010

In this sort of weather we're glad our living room faces north. And patio. Very pleasant for breakfast al fresco.

Comment

• Old Grumpy
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          It'll be winter soon enough then you'll look back on this week with affection! It's probably a touch cooler here at 26 degrees with very little wind. It is welcome to carry on like this for some time as far as I am concerned. This is what a summer's day should be.
          I don't think so...

Can't stand the heat, so I'll get out of the kitchen!

OG

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            What's not to like?
            You may be just out of the Extreme Heat warning area. I had lunch in the garden today as Ombra mai fu from a mountain ash. I'm in for the rest of the day.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
              Now 22C! High of 27C. Possible thunderstorms at midday! Gawd! We had some thunder yesterday evening!
              I knew it! - said so, dinneye?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                You may be just out of the Extreme Heat warning area. I had lunch in the garden today as Ombra mai fu from a mountain ash. I'm in for the rest of the day.
                Strength of sun and humidity levels can have decisive effects on how heat is physically felt. Cold too, for that matter. My first stay in France, as a 15-year old, entailed 3 August weeks in the "Midi", staying en famille in a triple household (extended family) on the outskirts of Martigues, 12 miles to the west of Marseilles. There the shade temperature on the second day reached 31 C, and we spent much of the afternoon in the cool provided by a broad-spreading, dense leafed mature tree in the front garden, made up of pebbles with shrub and perennial borders and a few more such trees, facing west of the properties. It was presumably a native type of tree, deciduous in appearance though there was no way of knowing, but it was certainly effective in harbouring what cool air was to be found outside. Bumptiously trying out my presumed O-Level standard French on my hosts I haughtily stated that it was by no means unknown for temperatures to attain 31`C in England, 0r 88 degrees Fahrenheit - not much higher than now. The Mistrale would blow tomorrow, predicted Madame: the air would feel cleaner and there would be fewer jelly fish in the sea. First thing that morning we had all ventured into town to do some shopping, me nonchalantly parading my bare legs, but the next day the lesson about strong sunlight truly came home as I stared at my stinging lobster pink legs while being told I would have to revert to long trousers for the remainder of the week. Sensible application of sun screen meant I, with my pale English skin, was able to tan for the first time in my life... something I have always been able to do ever since, given decent summers.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Surprisingly little mention on the national or local news this evening about the spectacular thunderstorms that hit the Bromley and Orpington area this afternoon, causing flash flooding, or the golf ball-sized hail in Basildon. I spent a lovely afternoon with other households enjoying the company and the children's capers, and explaining the dramatic meteorological events as they were taking place pretty much overhead, pointing at the clouds and predicting with varying degrees of accuracy when and where the lightning would be most likely to appear. The fully qualified hospital consultant and his wife in Flat 15 are now knowledgeable about such things as the differences between cumulus and cumulonimbus, and what a convective convergence zone is: lives have been transformed!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Temp 27C , with thunderstorms!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Yesterday afternoon, I felt more imprisoned by the heat than I've felt during 18 months of lockdown: solitary confinement in a not particularly comfortable cell - and too hot even for a walk round the exercise yard. Rain apparently due here on Saturday?

Now 26º, hitting 30º in the late afternoon.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Padraig
                        • Feb 2013

Yesterday afternoon, I felt more imprisoned by the heat than I've felt during 18 months of lockdown: solitary confinement in a not particularly comfortable cell - and too hot even for a walk round the exercise yard. Rain apparently due here on Saturday?

Now 26º, hitting 30º in the late afternoon.
                        Never heard of Ballywatticock? We have now!

On Saturday, Northern Ireland hit record-breaking heights as thermometers soared above 30C.
                        Last edited by Padraig; 21-07-21, 12:21.

Comment

• Joseph K
                          Banned
                          • Oct 2017

One app says 26, another 28. One things for sure: there is more of a cooler breeze today, making the sunny cloudlessness more enjoyable.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Still quite high humidity along with similar temps to yesterday, resulting in a very damp back from shopping just now. Cumulus growth once more, but nothing as vigorous as yesterday now that the organising zone has moved away, with tell-tale scuffing appearing at the cloud edges denoting limiting of the cauliflower towers. If there are to be any storms or showers, they're most likely to occur over super-heated pockets among hilly districts such as the Downs, or along the S coast where sea breezes come slap against predominant NW winds inland.

Thank goodness, it begins to cool down tomorrow, and temperatures should be back to around average on Friday and the weekend, though a lot of rain is expected.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                              Never heard of Ballywatticock?
                              Saw that - Met Office now checking the equipment to make sure it was measuring accurately. Village's 30mph road speed limit sign changed to 31.2

Comment

• Padraig
                                • Feb 2013

Village's 30mph road speed limit sign changed to 31.2
                                Ho Ho Ho. There's more than one star turn in the County Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X