X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
    Some rain overnight but the rainy day predicted last night for today looks like not materialising. 17C already and quite pleasant with patchy sunshine.
    I was just thinking the same thing, gurney! The main front passed through here with no more than a few spots of rain, and we are now in the clear. if rather unstable air to the rear. Further north there is more extensive continuous and presumably moderate to heavy rain associated with the occluded part of the front as it creeps north before coming to a halt, and the wrap-around area of heavy (maybe thundery) rain near the centre of the low, in the vicinity of Birmingham.

That low is expected to drift south, ending up over northern France but continuing to plague the southern quarter of the country for much of next week, by the looks of things. After that the blocking Atlantic ridge is forecast to retreat southwards allowing a more "zonal" south-westerly régime to take control, at last. The problem with modelling in recent years is the lack of accumulated historical precedence for predictive purposes, which would have served well with advances in the technologies of data sourcing, were it not for radical changes in weather patterns that have been taking place.

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

We've just had THE most torrential downpour - heavier than anything I can recall in the 35 years we've lived here. Part of our road is completely flooded. Almost 20 mm of rain fell in 20 minutes!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
        We've just had THE most torrential downpour - heavier than anything I can recall in the 35 years we've lived here. Part of our road is completely flooded. Almost 20 mm of rain fell in 20 minutes!
        Tornadoes have been reported in the SW Essex/NE London boundary zone this past hour - waiting reportage of damage. There certainly have been some spectacular convective cumulus building up this evening.

Comment

• Petrushka
          • Nov 2010

These do seem to happen at this time of year. I remember June 29 2009 when the sky went as black as night (it was around 18.00) and there was the most massive downpour I've ever seen. I was returning from work that evening and found it impossible to cross the road due to the raging torrent. I believe that these events are often very localised.

Currently raining here and very windy earlier but now calmed down a touch. For a late June day it's surprisingly cold and I've got the heating on.
          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
            These do seem to happen at this time of year. I remember June 29 2009 when the sky went as black as night (it was around 18.00) and there was the most massive downpour I've ever seen. I was returning from work that evening and found it impossible to cross the road due to the raging torrent. I believe that these events are often very localised.

Currently raining here and very windy earlier but now calmed down a touch. For a late June day it's surprisingly cold and I've got the heating on.
            According to the weather station in the next road, the rain was at one point falling at the rate of 90.0 mm/hr.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I think it might be good day today.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

According to the weather station in the next road, the rain was at one point falling at the rate of 90.0 mm/hr.
                At which rate you'd get the average June monthly total in about half an hour...
                Overcast here at the moment and likely to stay so until mid/late afternoon. We should miss any rain and it's not too chilly at present, so could be worse.

Comment

• LMcD
                  • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                  At which rate you'd get the average June monthly total in about half an hour...
                  Overcast here at the moment and likely to stay so until mid/late afternoon. We should miss any rain and it's not too chilly at present, so could be worse.
                  Total rainfall year to date here: 162.6 mm. Yesterday's contribution: 19.8 mm, virtually all of it in about 20 minutes.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Disappointing weather today in the light of the morning's forecast, which didn't take into consideration the northward spread of middle height cloud making for a dull, muggy afternoon. At least I was able to get me 2 mile walk in - this will possibly be my last vigorous outside exercise for the next 4-5 days, with a thundery trough stalling across the south. From Thursday on a high pressure "col" is expected to be aligned north-south down the middle of the British Isles, with high pressure then establishing to the north, bringing winds across the country in from the east or north-east, which (if correct) will mean cool conditions for the east but quite high temperatures further inland, and fine conditions.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                      Disappointing weather today in the light of the morning's forecast, which didn't take into consideration the northward spread of middle height cloud making for a dull, muggy afternoon. At least I was able to get me 2 mile walk in - this will possibly be my last vigorous outside exercise for the next 4-5 days, with a thundery trough stalling across the south. From Thursday on a high pressure "col" is expected to be aligned north-south down the middle of the British Isles, with high pressure then establishing to the north, bringing winds across the country in from the east or north-east, which (if correct) will mean cool conditions for the east but quite high temperatures further inland, and fine conditions.
                      Same old same old then! This morning got rather chilly as the wind freshened but when the sun got out after midday it suddenly turned very warm and rather uncomfortable as it was muggy with it.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

A lovely day yesterday. Today’s weather, grey and rather windy!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Clear-cut for me. Sunday 27th is my birthday and it is always sunny.
                          I wrote this a few days ago foolishly tempting providence. Chilly, windy and rainy.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

I wrote this a few days ago foolishly tempting providence. Chilly, windy and rainy.
                            Weather notwithstanding, Happy Birthday!

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Abysmal stuff for the end of June. A blanket of grey cloud, windy and not particularly warm, especially indoors where the temptation is strong to put the heating on to provide a little extra warmth to take the chill off.
                              Last edited by Petrushka; 28-06-21, 10:30.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Comment

Working...
                                X