X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Rain, grey, colder, SE 'breeze'. But can leave cuttings and plantlings out for another night .................I hope!!
    I was nearly scooped up as I made my way up the terraces in Crystal Palace Park earlier, which are aligned SSW to NNE, with the wind at my back - a good Force 7 I estimated.

Comment

• Joseph K
      Banned
      • Oct 2017

Cold, dark, windy and raining. I can't remember a worse May than the one we've had so far.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
        Cold, dark, windy and raining. I can't remember a worse May than the one we've had so far.
        It's got much worse during the afternoon with more or less constant heavy rain and a fierce wind. I've known some poor months of May in my time but few to match this one which has had scarcely any redeeming features at all (and I'm not just thinking of the weather).

We're forecast better at the end of next week, I believe. It could hardly be much worse.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

Hope everyone's still in one piece! The forecast now suggests that it will be very windy all day(gusting low forties) rather than easing off by afternoon, which is tiresome especially if there is rain as well. Oddly it doesn't seem as cold as the forecast suggests it is/should be at the moment but I suppose that might change when rain sets in.
          I hold out no great hopes for June as it is all too often at best a fickle month here weatherwise; sliding into it without a let-up from this nastiness is not a happy prospect. Meanwhile the light stays on indoors and I'm glad I got another load of wood in last month as the stove has been welcome on several evenings.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

<< The forecast now suggests that it will be very windy all day(gusting low forties) rather than easing off by afternoon, >>

Exactly as up here!

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Had to retrieve upturned patio table from nearby grass. I wonder how Monty Don's outdoor tomato plants are getting on.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

There's currently a chappie high up on a cherry picker here, pruning some of the tall sycamores whose branches have been rubbing upstairs's west-facing windows. It's proving quite a difficult job, with even the larger branches flailing about, obviously; I'm surprised they came today, although the visit had been booked a couple of months ago. And it's raining now, to add to their problems!

It seems the return to seasonal average temperatures is to be postponed for yet another week, as depression after depression move in from the west, and each time the wind then goes round to a north-westerly or northerly in the pattern which now seems like a replay fixture. What we're being told is that next weekend, the Azores High at last asserts itself and pushes a warming ridge of high pressure towards the UK.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                  Had to retrieve upturned patio table from nearby grass. I wonder how Monty Don's outdoor tomato plants are getting on.
                  I didn't see the whole of that bit of GW but as previously mentioned he was planting toms in the greenhouse border in the bit I did see, in which case they'll be fine. My little plants are under cover today, the pop-up growhouse having survive the overnight onslaught thank heavens. I wouldn't put them out in their (outside) beds before June is underway anyway but at this rate it's going to be quite late on; I can see there will be at least one more potting on session before then to keep them actively growing.
                  As I had thought might happen the rain has knocked the temperature back so fresh air and outdoor exercise will be given a miss today.

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                    There's currently a chappie high up on a cherry picker here, pruning some of the tall sycamores whose branches have been rubbing upstairs's west-facing windows. It's proving quite a difficult job, with even the larger branches flailing about, obviously; I'm surprised they came today, although the visit had been booked a couple of months ago. And it's raining now, to add to their problems!

It seems the return to seasonal average temperatures is to be postponed for yet another week, as depression after depression move in from the west, and each time the wind then goes round to a north-westerly or northerly in the pattern which now seems like a replay fixture. What we're being told is that next weekend, the Azores High at last asserts itself and pushes a warming ridge of high pressure towards the UK.
                    Hope the tree work passes off without incident, I doubt insurance would fully cover any problems!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      I didn't see the whole of that bit of GW but as previously mentioned he was planting toms in the greenhouse border in the bit I did see, in which case they'll be fine.

"Toms" is a euphemism for something else in this neck of the woods! The idea of the oh-so-wholesome Monty Don planting some of them in his border.....Brothel sprouts, maybe!!!

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Coincidentally, had a chappie high up on a tree across the road here this morning pruning a sycamore that had got out of control. He, too, had probably been booked weeks ago and he looked very precarious especially in the gusty winds and heavy rain.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

"Toms" is a euphemism for something else in this neck of the woods! The idea of the oh-so-wholesome Monty Don planting some of them in his border.....Brothel sprouts, maybe!!!
                          Not just in your neck of the woods, but I use the abbreviation as it saves having to remember whether the plural has an "e" or not...

Over the years I've thought that one could assemble quite a dubious garden border - Painted Lady beans and sweet peas, Fat Blonde lettuce, Drunken Woman lettuce, Cuisse de nymphe emue(should be accents on there) rose, Lazy Housewife bean etc

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Well, Brussels can't stop him now we've left the EU.

Comment

• cloughie
                              • Dec 2011

There was I thinking male cats - now I’m puzzling whether there are doxy moggies in Brussels!

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                                There was I thinking male cats - now I’m puzzling whether there are doxy moggies in Brussels!
                                I'm sure there are, cats don't care abut borders. Then there's "out tomming" which can be applied to humans and felines.

Anyway, back on the weather front so to speak, the wind and rain are taking their time abating, although the cloud did lighten quite markedly from about 4-30 on, such that indoors became much less gloomy than at midday. Going to be chilly and windy tomorrow so I hope that the rain stays away as forecast; it'll be cold and boring at work so I don't want to be wet as well!

Comment

Working...
                                X