• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    One of the blackest clouds I've ever seen has now spread across, bringing heavy rain and premature darkness, but not, surprisingly, any thunder. That means missing out on my usual Sunday afternooner, though I might get out later, once its dark and the convection generating these pesky showers is out of the way. In the meantime Jazz Record Requests is on the wireless, and, speaking of Old and New, I am enjoying one of those virtual walkabouts kind persons like to post on youtube - in this case Deptford High Street in ten minutes!
    Certainly was absolutely awful Saturday, for part of Sunday too. Today, more rain?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Well, here at about 2 p.m. it is 7C, dry and cold, and BBC at 12.55 a.m. was talking about 11-14C in NW.
      Oh, really?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Well, here at about 2 p.m. it is 7C, dry and cold, and BBC at 12.55 a.m. was talking about 11-14C in NW.
        Oh, really?

For tomorrow I expect. They're not forecasting higher than 12 C in the subtropics here for today, but 14-15 C for tomorrow when that maritime tropical air comes in the wake of tonight's warm front.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Thx.
          Still wrapped as for mid-winter!!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Fast-moving weather pattern for the next few. So, its breezy and mild until tomorrow, when a strong cold front moves in from the west, related to a V-trough over Scotland, with strong cold northerlies on its western flank slicing their way south affecting all but the far SE, and probably the first snows on Welsh high ground, Cumbria, the Pennines, Scottish highlands etc, before - yes, you've only just heard it all before! - the next Atlantic low swings a warm front across all areas on Friday, returning breezy mild claggy conditions to the south and, a trailing cold front straddling the NW and N Wales, prolonged rain lasting through Saturday. But worry not!!! High pressure is anticipated to build accoss the south later on Sunday, lasting into early next week at least, with cold foggy nights there (here) and mild sou'westerlies further oop.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Fells disappeared, murk, dreich, + that steady. steady, utterly drenching finest fells rain that soaks within seconds.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Fells disappeared, murk, dreich, + that steady. steady, utterly drenching finest fells rain that soaks within seconds.
                And yet, it is not the drizzly claggy stuff that boosts the overall totals, but the heavier rain, due to the volume of water per raindrop, even though the drops are further apart!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

And yet, it is not the drizzly claggy stuff that boosts the overall totals, but the heavier rain, due to the volume of water per raindrop, even though the drops are further apart!
                  Reminds me of a Spike Milligan classic from Silly Verse for Kids, which I remember reading to our offspring:

There are holes in the sky
                  Where the rain gets in
                  But they're ever so small
                  That's why the rain is thin.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    Reminds me of a Spike Milligan classic from Silly Verse for Kids, which I remember reading to our offspring:

There are holes in the sky
                    Where the rain gets in
                    But they're ever so small
                    That's why the rain is thin.

It was one of several that was recited at the I Told You I Was Ill Spike Milligan live tribute in 1999, by Michael Palin, iirc. I've kept it on a VHS tape.

Comment

• oddoneout
                      • Nov 2015

Dry all day, and mild, with sun and blue sky appearing for a couple of hours around midday. Good drying breeze which was helpful.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                        • Dec 2010

The most appalling hurricane, a Cat 5 - the strongest possible with winds up to 200 mph - is currently battering Nicaragua and part of Honduras. This is the SECOND to devastate the two countries in a fortnight - something previously unheard, apart from being exceptionally late in the hurricane season - and I am surprised to say the least that thus far, nothing has been mentioned in our news media.

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

The most appalling hurricane, a Cat 5 - the strongest possible with winds up to 200 mph - is currently battering Nicaragua and part of Honduras. This is the SECOND to devastate the two countries in a fortnight - something previously unheard, apart from being exceptionally late in the hurricane season - and I am surprised to say the least that thus far, nothing has been mentioned in our news media.
                          Guardian has been following progress and there was a report this morning, although now no longer on the front page. The Beeb reported on it a few hours ago I think. As if poverty and Covid wasn't enough for such countries to deal with...

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                            Dry all day, and mild, with sun and blue sky appearing for a couple of hours around midday. Good drying breeze which was helpful.
                            SUN???????????????
                            Blimey!

Fells invisible down to ground level all day. AND rain until about 1 hr ago.
                            Lucky old you!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

SUN???????????????
                              Blimey!

Fells invisible down to ground level all day. AND rain until about 1 hr ago.
                              Lucky old you!
                              Shhhh......I think we maybe having that too, today, you know that yellow orb?!?!?
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

'Fraid it's much the same here as yesterday. Not nice at all.
                                AND much, much WILDER winds.
                                Last edited by DracoM; 18-11-20, 12:25.

Comment

Working...
                                X