X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Showers, bright sun, but under massing clouds every so often - a humidity of a kind; wind all over place - west / east? erm....?
    ....well, now, total yuk, fells in dreich.
    Last edited by DracoM; 21-10-20, 12:51.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

Hurricane "Epsilon", presently making its way north up the western Atlantic in the region of Bermuda, is expected to join the Atlantic jet stream race early next week and join the expected queue of lows coming out of Canada to form what, in all my years of weather observation, could turn out to be the biggest and deepest low pressure systems on record. UKWW contributers are thinking in terms of a depression of between 910 and 925 millibars at its centre, which would certainly be deeper than anything I've seen - albeit not as deep as some Atlantic hurricanes and Pacific typhoons get (ie below 900 mb!!! ). The model chart for Tuesday shows isobars surrounding the centre and outwards by 2-3000 miles so close they merge into one thick blob! Anything developing in its circulation had better steer clear of the UK!

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Can't wait.....................

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Seems, I think, today will be a good one.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Mist, drizzle, v.low visibility on fells and looks like it's here to stay for the day!!
            A day we get here, where, instead of anything solid, the world seems entirely composed of waters of different densities.
            Last edited by DracoM; 22-10-20, 16:12.

Comment

• Joseph K
              Banned
              • Oct 2017

Sunny and mild, though windy.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                • Dec 2010

Showers now coming through on the warm sou'westerly - fortunately after I managed to arrive home from a longish cycle ride. Our friends on Lewisham council have done a superb job in repairing a humped-back footbridge that crosses the Rover Ravensbourne just south of the Catford Gyratory (or "squareabout", as I like to call it!) - which is a crucial link in the riverside walk. The last time I went that way, a month ago, I was depressed to see notices everywhere saying the bridge was unsafe and would be closed for repairs until next February, so, hats off to them, I say.

Starting with tomorrow, the weekend promises to be windy and pretty wet, so one has to make the most of any remaining good weather. Today's temperature here reached a very pleasant 17 degrees C.

Comment

• oddoneout
                  • Nov 2015

After a somewhat indecisive start the day turned out very well - blue sky, sun, breezy but not cold. Was able to get the last grass cut of the season done finally. It's not done primarily for aesthetic reasons, since it would take more than a mower to make something goodlooking out of the grassy areas, but to reduce the amount of moisture that lingers on it and makes for very damp perambulations. There was an added unpleasant reason this time though, namely a new kit on the block which has taken to leave large piles of soggy smelly ordure on the grass. With the grass shorter and all at the same length roughly I stand a chance of seeing said nasties before actually stepping on them, and then being able to clear most of it away. The rain yesterday may have been excessive and unpleasant but it did a good job of washing away residue from previous events.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                    After a somewhat indecisive start the day turned out very well - blue sky, sun, breezy but not cold. Was able to get the last grass cut of the season done finally. It's not done primarily for aesthetic reasons, since it would take more than a mower to make something goodlooking out of the grassy areas, but to reduce the amount of moisture that lingers on it and makes for very damp perambulations. There was an added unpleasant reason this time though, namely a new kit on the block which has taken to leave large piles of soggy smelly ordure on the grass. With the grass shorter and all at the same length roughly I stand a chance of seeing said nasties before actually stepping on them, and then being able to clear most of it away. The rain yesterday may have been excessive and unpleasant but it did a good job of washing away residue from previous events.
                    How unpleasant! Our old cat, would come back in and use his litter tray!

Looks like a good day today.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
                      There was an added unpleasant reason this time though, namely a new kit on the block which has taken to leave large piles of soggy smelly ordure on the grass. With the grass shorter and all at the same length roughly I stand a chance of seeing said nasties before actually stepping on them, and then being able to clear most of it away. The rain yesterday may have been excessive and unpleasant but it did a good job of washing away residue from previous events.

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                      How unpleasant! Our old cat, would come back in and use his litter tray!
                      ... I suspect oddoneout's kits might be young foxes rather than young cats. Unless they are young beavers? Or otters??

Last edited by vinteuil; 23-10-20, 10:07.

Comment

• oddoneout
                        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I suspect oddoneout's kits might be young foxes rather than young cats. Unless they are young beavers? Or otters??

If they were foxes I wouldn't mind, their droppings in my experience(have to deal with it sometimes at work, and my son has a fox in his garden) quickly become less noxious and often dry up quickly so removal is easy.
                        BBM your comment about your cat using its tray made me smile as that was what my next door neighbour used to say about their, now deceased, cat. Thing was it didn't stop her dumping smelly piles in my garden as well, I more than once caught her in the act and she would scowl and/or smirk at me. Holly twigs and wire netting used to protect vulnerable plants would be deposited on, thus vastly increasing clear-up problems; some of the places she managed to leave her residue must have involved more than a little physical effort to access and it was difficult to avoid the impression it was personal and deliberate. My usual remedy of lobbing water or other things at the offending creature to keep it out of the garden weren't an option with the owners only a few feet away, and the ultrasonic cat scarer didn't work.
                        I'm pretty certain I know which cat is responsible, but I don't know who owns it. It is a scruffy looking object and seems to have rather unhappy digestive function

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

When did cats stop ‘burying’? When we had cats they were both meticulous about digging to Australia and covering up afterwards - sniffing to make sure it was well covered.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                            When did cats stop ‘burying’? When we had cats they were both meticulous about digging to Australia and covering up afterwards - sniffing to make sure it was well covered.
                            I understand that cats normally only defecate in unwanted places without covering up when traumatised or stressed, ie after moving into new premises. I was always told that this was not normally be a cats' way of functioning, being animals of inborn fastidiousness about cleanliness, unlike dogs. I've even witnessed the sad sight of cats scuffling their deposits into imaginary soil pits while standing on concrete or tarmac - the concrete jungle!

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Round here the liquid gets buried and the solids not or at best a halfhearted scrape. In some respects that's better, less chance of impossibly rank encounters and ruined gloves. However the dumping on grass is something that some cats seem to adopt but not all, and I have a theory that in some cases at least is linked to gut problems not allowing time for choosing a suitable spot and excavating.
                              However back OT, an OKish morning - some sun and blue sky - degenerated into overcast with rain. Although the wetness should clear the grey is set to continue.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                                • Dec 2010

It now looks as if next week's weather will not be as scary as yesterday's charts were predicting, thank goodness, though it will still become windier than now and remain changeable.

Not sure what exactly has happened with today's weather. Cloud came in very rapidly at precisely midday here, and within 20 metres I was caught in a bit of a downpour. But, just a it seemed set in for at least the next hour the cloud broke and weak sunshine leaked though high and medium-level stuff. I expect that was the first of two cold occlusions that were expected to traverse the SE early this afternoon; but, if so, what has become of the second?? The breaking up of the first was interesting from a meteorological pov because it allowed glimpses of the complex cloud structure of a passing frontal system not often to be seen in our temperate weather system types, in which any upper layers tend to be obscured above low-hanging clag.

Comment

Working...
                                X