X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Up here, series of massive and spectacular thunder and lightning events on and off through the night, and rain in monsoon intensities for 15-20 mins at a throw.
    I followed all those as they travelled northwards through the day yesterday, ending up across Scotland this morning.

A few surface-based storms reared up to the NW of London as the sun was going down yesterday evening: lightning was visible within the clouds, which broke up as fast as they had grown in the intense heat - pop-up storms, to use the fashionable word, very different from the elevated storms which nowadays produce the most dramatic lightning displays and intense rainfalls.

I think we might be in for some of the latter down here this evening, certainly tomorrow, when we are scheduled for our monthly residents' association evening meeting in the garden. Last night was stifling, and my pillow was saturated with sweat when I awoke this morning. I was thankful for the 10 minutes spent in air-conditioned luxury at W Norwood Tescos, and can't wait to be rid of this heatwave - only 2 more days of it to endure!

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

A damp drab fairly dismal day here but 20C.

Comment

• Joseph K
        Banned
        • Oct 2017

Sunny, hot and stuffy here. Currently in Brum sipping apple juice waiting for my fender mustang to be cleaned and restrung.

Comment

• LHC
          • Jan 2011

Still 33C in London, and no sign of any rain or respite so far.
          "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
          Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• oddoneout
            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by LHC View Post
            Same here. The weather map has some pretty pixelated flowers (blue yellow pink and red blobs)scattered on it but they are all in the west of the region and I doubt they'll get to those of us further east. Just hoping that the forecast drop in temps occurs as the wind goes round to a northerly direction in the early hours.

Comment

• LHC
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by LHC View Post
              Met Office has just announced a temp of 34.6C in London. Apparently this is the first time since 1961 that we have had five consecutive days above 34C.
              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

Had a spectacular storm here last night around midnight with continuous lightning, big claps of thunder and very heavy rain. Sunny and hot once again and a repeat of the storms is scheduled for this evening.

I'm not complaining about the heat, love it like this, and making the most of it because winter won't be long in coming.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Ah yes, the summer of 61 - sweltering A-level year

Comment

• Joseph K
                    Banned
                    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                    Sunny, hot and stuffy here. Currently in Brum sipping apple juice waiting for my fender mustang to be cleaned and restrung.
                    ... while apparently there has been (and still is a bit) of rain in Redditch! Along with sunshine - my mum's wondering where the rainbow is...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Joseph K View Post
                      ... while apparently there has been (and still is a bit) of rain in Redditch! Along with sunshine - my mum's wondering where the rainbow is...
                      Storms which formed over W London a couple of hours ago are spreading out in clusters and heading your way, Joseph, so you might well be in line for one, or two. Reports from the Putney/Twickenham area are of torrential rain and hailstones the size of large marbles; the clouds were certainly impressive and loud bumps of frequent thunder audible from here. It will be interesting to see if the large clusters over N France take the same route later this evening, and just manage to miss us, or maybe they'll lose power crossing the Channel, as often happens with surface-based storms. These really need local generation to sustain. Temperature now 28 C after maxing at 34 C before the thunder kicked off - almost bearable!

Comment

• Joseph K
                        Banned
                        • Oct 2017

Well predicted - the storm arrived about half an hour ago.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                          • Nov 2010

Storm here also. We were on the edge of something bigger. Temp went from 33 to 23 within an hour.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Weird here: rumbles, wind easterly an hour ago, then nothing - except claustrophobic. stifling stillness and heat.
                            No more rumbles, but it really does feel as if the whole landscape is holding its breath for something....what... impossible to tell at the mo.

Comment

• oddoneout
                              • Nov 2015

Temperature dropped 10 degrees so very pleasant outside, but oddly feeling very sticky inside - possibly by contrast - but as the breeze has dropped as well so not getting much air movement through the house doesn't help.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

Nowt down south! Just a shot today as yesterday! When, oh when, please....
                                Don’t cry for me
                                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                                X