X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
    I did the Norrington Dash and still got soaked! It was pretty weird as it literally came out of nowhere. The large size of the raindrops was like I've never seen before. However, it's been hot and sunny ever since.

Perhaps SA can offer an explanation for this strange phenomenon.
    The boundary layer, or height at which water vapour condenses on dust particles to create cloud, is at about twice the normal altitude at which rain-bearing cloud customarily forms in this country. Textbook thunderstorms of the simplistic O level type grow out of cumulus growth unchecked by an inversion "cap", which would inhibit convection, as in an anticyclone. In this instance there is in fact a cap, which is why little or no cumulus is able to form in this hot weather - the atmosphere being dry and almost Saharan in character. So what convection is producing this rain, and some thunder too, is coming in above the cap, along what weather people annoyingly call an organised weather system: an upper air trough of low pressure detached from surface-created or modified conditions. What is happening is that the hot very dry air from the south-east is being undercut at about 8-10,000 feet by cooler, moister air from the south, moisture having been picked up over the Bay of Biscay. On observation, the surface winds continue coming from the SE, while the cloud layer (altocumulus castellanus) producing the weather will be seen to be coming in from the SW.

Tomorrow morning should be interesting, since surface winds currently from the SE are expected to back around to the NNE here as surface high pressure edges in from the NW, while at the same time the aforementioned trough will still be hanging around with its cloud moving from SW to NE. Situations like this are often known to result in violent thunderstorms, in which upper cloud and lower cloud can be seen to be moving in opposite directions - just one of the many things that makes weather observing so fascinating!

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
      I did the Norrington Dash and still got soaked! It was pretty weird as it literally came out of nowhere. The large size of the raindrops was like I've never seen before. However, it's been hot and sunny ever since.

Perhaps SA can offer an explanation for this strange phenomenon.

Weather turned again here - back to the overcast grey of pre 10am - also a hint of dampness in the air!

Comment

• oddoneout
        • Nov 2015

Still above 30 in the shade and sticky with it...

Comment

• LMcD
          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
          Still above 30 in the shade and sticky with it...
          25°C and the wind has backed to the East. We're promised more of a breeze tomorrow .....

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
            Not so sweltering and sunny here - rather overcast and sun may break through later but at least we haven’t got the mizzle today.
            What a lovely place, Felixstowe.

Another one today!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

22C, Sunny, clear blue sky and a bit of breeze - ‘ansome

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Hot. cloudless, breezeless.

Comment

• LHC
                  • Jan 2011

30C already here, hazy cloud cover, so no sun, and very humid.
                  "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                  Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                    30C already here, hazy cloud cover, so no sun, and very humid.
                    Curtains drawn shut and doors closed, it's not too bad indoors here.

Comment

• LHC
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Curtains drawn shut and doors closed, it's not too bad indoors here.
                      I’ve done all that. Unfortunately the house didn’t cool down much overnight, so the starting point indoors this morning was 25C; we’re now up to 26, and it will no doubt continue to rise for the rest of the day.
                      "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                      Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Turned distinctly dull here this afternoon - no sun 20C!

Comment

• oddoneout
                          • Nov 2015

Much more comfortable today, staying under 25 and with a pleasant breeze. The beginning of next week doesn't look good here for those of us who struggle in the heat, so birthday treats will likely get further postponed.
                          The lack of rain is getting silly.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Amazed at the temp drop this evening. Chilly westerly. Phew!

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                              • Apr 2007

Further to Cloughie's #5606, stormy and un-stormy weather has suddenly become a big issue chez LMPs! We are trying to sell our house, just gone on market, on the eastern edge of Bodmin Moor. Cracking views of said edge when weather permits. The agents came for photos on a good sunny day so a bit of a bummer when viewers roll up to be met by big wall of mist/ low cloud/ haar where there's supposed to be the wonderful views!

Today we had some 4 viewings: too much for me so I left Mrs LMP in charge while accompanying Daughter #2 to camera-shop in Bodmin, first time there for some 6 mths owing to Lockdown. Bright sun, boiling hot in Bodmin and so something of a surprise to see banks of mist still lurking over the moor after Jamaica Inn on the return journey, and home to greet the last two sets of viewers. Suddenly the sun broke through to show that the agents hadn't used Photoshop nefariously. We may even have a sale, DV, as the last viewers have extremely particular needs which seem to align perfectly with our extremely peculiar house!

Visit to Bodmin and daughter's purchase of a good new (nouveau, pas neuf) Nikon camera was adequately rewarded by discovery in BHF of the Chandos Handley Stanford Symphony No 4 for a whole 50p, now playing
                              I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• oddoneout
                                • Nov 2015

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                                Amazed at the temp drop this evening. Chilly westerly. Phew!
                                Distinctly chilly here too - 17 degrees when I went out a few minutes ago, with the wind NNE so not surprising really. Got distracted by two bats swooping low over the back yard - first time for probably a couple of years I've seen any, and heaven knows where they might be roosting as few if any of the houses in the locality would seem to be bat friendly and there aren't any old buildings.

Comment

Working...
                                X