X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Huge monsoon style downpour currently over London, barely 10 minutes after a cloudless balmy autumn blue sky...

And.... in the time it took to open the thread and type that, the sun's out again!
    Yep - got caught in a neighbouring cloudburst that looked innocuous on its approach just now, when out buying my Radio Times. Had to shelter 10 minutes in the local church... which will probably have to be re-consecrated now...

Maybe I slept heavily following my 2-mile walk back from the station at midnight, but although not disturbed by last night's alleged gales, I awoke to find four huge branches ripped from the two tall sycamores bordering our garden. I only hope the gardener possesses a circular saw, because this is going to present a major job for him.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Considering the Met Office's prophecies of gloom, I had expected to wake up this morning no longer in Kansas. In fact, very little sign around here of any strong wind overnight, and the weather today much the same as yesterday - sunny spells pirouetting with brief (but sometimes heavy) showers.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        Considering the Met Office's prophecies of gloom, I had expected to wake up this morning no longer in Kansas. In fact, very little sign around here of any strong wind overnight, and the weather today much the same as yesterday - sunny spells pirouetting with brief (but sometimes heavy) showers.
        I'm not 100% sure about this, but the main centre of Storm Aileen may have crossed over right where you are, ferney - in which case you would have been protected - the strongest winds, which were referred to on this morning's news of damage, would have passed just to your south.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Weird, weird day oop 'ere: as said above wild stuff overnight, then beautiful clouds, nice light, occasional rip-fast showers, then ironically some of the hottest sun we've had all 'summer' and then literally as I write a ferocious monsoon-like drenching with water rattling at a north-facing window [rare] and roof like hail - no, actually here it is ....wow! it IS hail!
          Wind has gone from SW to NW.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

An unpromising start to the day led to a lovely sunny afternoon

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

...............and tonight, dry and some decent stars on my prowl!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                Weird, weird day oop 'ere: as said above wild stuff overnight

"...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  I'm not 100% sure about this, but the main centre of Storm Aileen may have crossed over right where you are, ferney - in which case you would have been protected - the strongest winds, which were referred to on this morning's news of damage, would have passed just to your south.
                  Blimey! frenchie never mentioned this as one of "the perks" of the new role!
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Rather sporadic showers yesterday. Wonder what's in store today? There has been more rain, in the past few hours but I think, could be similar.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Some cloud build-up taking place now, so a few showers to come, "maybe with the odd rumble" as the weatherpersons say these days, just to cover their ars*s - e.g. "You never mentioned thunderstorms in your forecast!"

This year, compared to last when we were enjoying the heatwave of 2016, autumn seems to be coming in early: southerly dipping of the polar jet in zig-zag alternations leading to blocking; predominance of either southerlies or northerlies in consequence - the latter right now. I've reached the point where, having dieted on salads since early June and worn either T- or open-necked shirts with rolled-up sleeves, I've de-frosted my freeze compartment in preparation for storing hot meals and got the jackets, warmer trousers, pullies and winter socks out. Customarily I wouldn't expect to have to make these seasonal transitions until at least a week into October.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        got the jackets, warmer trousers, pullies and winter socks out. Customarily I wouldn't expect to have to make these seasonal transitions until at least a week into October.

Bit of a heating switch-on this morning - I was reflecting that I should note in the diary that it happened today, as I've no idea what date it's happened in previous years... Also, extra layers needed for the cycle rides... it does seem early

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Bit of a heating switch-on this morning - I was reflecting that I should note in the diary that it happened today, as I've no idea what date it's happened in previous years...

... o, we have these clever things here called "thermostats". So you don't need to worry about "heating switch on", dontcha know?

Actually it's an odd thing - of course one dislikes the drop in atmospheric temperature - but a day comes when you pad barefoot into the bathroom and you suddenly notice the warmth underfoot of the heating, and you think "o joy!"

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... o, we have these clever things here called "thermostats". So you don't need to worry about "heating switch on", dontcha know?

Actually it's an odd thing - of course one dislikes the drop in atmospheric temperature - but a day comes when you pad barefoot into the bathroom and you suddenly notice the warmth underfoot of the heating, and you think "o joy!"

No such luxuries here in the inner city...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

"Horror as recycling bin is blown over by Storm Aileen"

(from to the consistently amusing Facebook page "Angry People in Local Newspapers", GongGong's excellent recommendation.

Other recent favourite:

NB: Carl, of Logan Close, east Hull, said wife Maria was so disappointed by the lack of egg she "didn't eat for the rest of the day". )

Comment

• DracoM
                                Host
                                • Mar 2007

Weird - I too switched heating on today!! What is it about Sept 14?
                                Dry oop 'ere, but stiffish westerly lets you know it's about. Temp NOW @ 3.40 p.m. is 10C!! Some sun in via west facing windows doing good in living rooms.

Comment

Working...
                                X