X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
    The wonderful large old gnarled mulberry tree in my garden has been blown down.

Heartbroken.
    Oh that is sad. Sorry to hear that. I imagine you will do something wonderful with the space left though ?

Started out wild wet and windy here, ended up mild and really pleasant, enough to sit out for a drink at 5.00.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

The wonderful large old gnarled mulberry tree in my garden has been blown down.

Heartbroken.
      When you say "blown down", has it broken from the roots or have they lifted. Has it caused any structural damage? Just wondering whether it might yet have a future despite its suffering this fate?

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

We've had everything here today: snow and sleet on tops, billows of mixed sleet / rain on fellsides, big wind, decent fine sunshine, COLD.
        Hey ho!

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          We've had everything here today: snow and sleet on tops, billows of mixed sleet / rain on fellsides, big wind, decent fine sunshine, COLD.
          Hey ho!
          Hate to say this but it's been quite balmy here with plenty of sunshine. Some wind but nothing serious.

Comment

• LezLee
            • Apr 2019

I think I must have a roof leak. Just been upstairs and seen the paint on the landing wall is bubbly. I can't get up there or outside to see. Buggeration.

Comment

• johnb
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
              When you say "blown down", has it broken from the roots or have they lifted. Has it caused any structural damage? Just wondering whether it might yet have a future despite its suffering this fate?
              The roots and some of the stump is still there. I'll have to get advice and then plan what to do. When I moved into the house some 47 years ago it was old and gnarled. I might plant another mulberry as I do really like their character, but I'll spend a couple of months thinking about what to do next.

Comment

• oddoneout
                • Nov 2015

The roots and some of the stump is still there. I'll have to get advice and then plan what to do. When I moved into the house some 47 years ago it was old and gnarled. I might plant another mulberry as I do really like their character, but I'll spend a couple of months thinking about what to do next.
                I'd be inclined to adopt a wait and watch approach, perhaps making sure the trunk is supported so the roots don't get moved. A mulberry tree at work had outgrown its space, and its habit of breaking branches and its proximity to a path used by visitors meant it was facing the chop. I had seen some pictures in a gardening book of a large mulberry which was regularly pollarded, and suggested that be tried first. The volunteers who did the deed were much less erm how shall I put this - nuanced than we had envisaged and basically decapitated it. After an anxious few months it started into growth and made an impressive head of shoots during the summer. As it will need to be kept cut back we will no longer have the fruit but at least the tree will remain - important as the orchard serves several purposes, including fruit planted in memory of individuals. I found some of the branch offcuts in the long grass quite some time after they had been cut and they were sprouting leaves so I put them in a deep pot to see if they would root. I should find out this year.

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Eek!

Snow.
                  Glad I can stay in today; no volunteering on Mondays.
                  Looking forward to seeing the dogs frolicking on their morning walks on the 'meadow' in front of the house, instead.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Yes, snow up here too, well down fells.

Comment

• antongould
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Yes, snow up here too, well down fells.
                      Pit heaps are white ......

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

I hear my friends up north are having a bad time with the white stuff? Hope you’ll be safe!

Rather grey, showers and windy here today. Quite gusty sometimes.
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Raining heavily again though it's forecast to brighten up in the afternoon as it did yesterday. Expecting the rest of the week to include rain, sleet and snow. Really need two or three weeks of dry weather to sort the ground out. No chance of flooding where I am as I'm on higher ground but what we're getting is depressing.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Joseph K
                            Banned
                            • Oct 2017

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            No chance of flooding where I am as I'm on higher ground but what we're getting is depressing.
                            Indeed, here too.

Comment

• Constantbee
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
                              I hear my friends up north are having a bad time with the white stuff? Hope you’ll be safe!
                              Thanks BBM Stormy Weather indeed. We've got off quite lightly so far, losing just a couple of panes of glass from the greenhouse. To be replaced with polycarbonate sheets. It's an ill wind. Feels unhealthy in bioweather terms. Just not cold enough. Also makes it hard to plan anything because events are likely to get called off at short notice.
                              And the tune ends too soon for us all

Comment

• greenilex
                                • Nov 2010

Very windy still, but the doughty tree surgeons have been round to give the walnut its biennial haircut and managed not to drop any large branches on the front windows...wish we could see the sun occasionally, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X