• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
    I was taught to hop the decimal point along, but now they are told to slide the numbers!
    YES!!! I had real problems with this new concept when I was a Supply Teacher for Bradford Primary Schools 20 years ago - and (probably as a result) so did the kids. After a while, I gave up and told them the older way - end of problem, the kids could then do the Maths - but saying that it was an alternative to the way their teacher had told them, and that they must do it that way when s/he came back.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

The foggey, woggy dew.....
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
        The foggey, woggy dew.....
        Today's fog is advection fog. Very often seen over thawing snow - this differs from inversion fog. In the case of inversion fog, temperatures fall below the dewpoint near ground level at or around sunset, because ground level is the first to lose the sun's heat: the temperature above that level is still warm, putting a lid or "cap" on it - ("the inversion layer", below which moisture condenses on any dust particles floating around to form fog, above which the mositure evaporates away). As the chill air levels upwards in line with the setting sun, so the fog layer thickens. It is then only removed by either wind rising to blow it away, or a gap between the wet and dry bulb temperatures being restored, the dewpoint returning to the surface.

Temperatures are slowly rising today in conjunction with slightly milder air being transported south replacing the cold pool associated with the calm high pressure centre as it retreats southwards. Advection fog forms when this warmer air drifts across still cold surfaces - the principle can easily be seen on a miniature scale by taking ice cream out of the freezer, and after a short while "steam" rises from its surface - advection fog. One difference between inversion fog and advection fog is that advection fog is less easy to shift because its "cause" is being reinforced by the contrast between warm above and cold beneath is maintained until humidity levels fall. This can also sometimes be seen as "clag", low stratus fractus, forms immediately after the passage of a cold front. Raggedy amorphous low cloud can typically be seen mysteriously clinging around trees in hollows around hill slopes, where lingering swarm air pockets are being cooled below the dew point by falling rain. Thus the causes of all fog are based on the same principles. Then, as the humidity falls at lower levels with heating, it rises to higher levels to form stratus cloud - which is really what fog is, the only difference being that it is stratus cloud sitting on the ground.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Sun, thick cloud/fog, weird.

Comment

• cloughie
            • Dec 2011

Dull and not very warm here - a ‘nothing’ day really.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Bright and sunny here in this bit of the Pennines - little cloud, a bit chilly, and rather damp underfoot.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Bright and sunny here in this bit of the Pennines - little cloud, a bit chilly, and rather damp underfoot.
                90 mins on, and a bank of cloud/mist has wandered over the hill and silvered out the view.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  I’d better come up to your place today then, Ferney!

Rather dull and dreary here today.
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• oddoneout
                    • Nov 2015

One of cloughie's 'nothing days' here today, as was yesterday. It may be milder than a few days ago but it doesn't feel it due to the damp, and the conditions are not joint-friendly(as in skeletal...) which, coupled with the grey sunless sky, means things are harder work than I would like. Never mind, can't do anything about the weather, at least I'm not working at present so can find ways round the problems.

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

Pure blue, cloudless sky here in S. Yorks!
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

3rd successive day in which the fells hereabouts are more or less dawn to dusk invisible under thickening cloud / fog / yuk / dreich.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

I bet you all can't wait for the change that's going to take place on Saturday!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                            I bet you all can't wait for the change that's going to take place on Saturday!
                            Woe, woe and thrice woe!

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                              3rd successive day in which the fells hereabouts are more or less dawn to dusk invisible under thickening cloud / fog / yuk / dreich.
                              ... I sometimes wonder if DracoM is taking seriously his position at the Pennines Tourist Board

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post

... I sometimes wonder if DracoM is taking seriously his position at the Pennines Tourist Board

bong ching

Comment

Working...
                                X