X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Today, grey, louring clouds and very, very humid oop 'ere. Rain always threatening but so far never happening.......
    Weird.

Comment

• cloughie
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Today, grey, louring clouds and very, very humid oop 'ere. Rain always threatening but so far never happening.......
      Weird.
      Good day here in the Duchy, bit of a breeze but mostly sunny.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Weird.
        The same here. It's been a weird summer all round with a July and August of almost no sunshine, day after day with 10/10ths cloud. The racing in York looks like being plagued by heavy rain and that's another thing about this summer: the big race meetings ruined by thunderstorms and deluges.

The forecast for the next 10 days isn't offering much in the way of anything better.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

We had quite a humid day here. It became so close, the weather. Eventually, during the night, of course, we had thunder. I don't know how long it lasted, as I was fast asleep!
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Fells invisible in mist/rain/fog white-out, humid, still. Another lovely summer day - not.

BUT less than 45 mins after I wrote this, mist rises, rain moves east, clouds life, and the bloomin' SUN comes actually out!
            Last edited by DracoM; 23-08-17, 13:30.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Fells invisible in mist/rain/fog white-out, humid, still. Another lovely summer day.
              - and getting dark by 8:30pm
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                - and getting dark by 8:30pm
                It's only just about getting light here now!
                :evensadderface:
                Rain still teeming down, but thunder and lightning seems to have finished.
                Flash floods being reported in York (and Leeds).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Northern Darks <positivelydespondentface>
                  [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

That's it exactly.
                    Well, now the nights are drawing in..................

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                      We had quite a humid day here. It became so close, the weather. Eventually, during the night, of course, we had thunder. I don't know how long it lasted, as I was fast asleep!
                      Yes it thundered just south of here between about 10 pm and midnight, and rained quite hard for about half an hour - none of which was forecast by the official forecasters' preduction of 'a few showers' [sic], though anyone with a smattering of amateur knowledge could have told them of the likelhood of this happening when I did my regular eye observation at 6 pm, soon after which lightning was observable over the Channel on the Live Lightning map. At the time I had remarked to neighbours on the threatening appearance of the sky. Often I think the forecasters should leave their computer modellings for a couple of minutes, and just go outside, feel the air, observe the wind direction and look up at the cloud formations, which can tell them so much more!

Back to westerlies now and for the next couple of days, meaning normal temperatures once this weak cold front crossing us now is out of the way. Admittedly, the weekend still looks too knife-edged to hazard any predictions.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Jetstream still misbehaving SA? I think we going to have sunny intervals.
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          Jetstream still misbehaving SA? I think we going to have sunny intervals.
                          It's gone slack again, Bbm. At least that low off NW Scotland is in the process of filling up, moving the showery activity further north and allowing a slack area of highish pressure to build across England and Wales, which should (they think!) keep the thundery hot weather away and over the Continent for the weekend, which means pretty decent temperatures and very little wind lasting hopefully until late on Monday, by which time strengthening westerlies ahead of a renewed jet stream and associated frontal systems sweeps in for next week.

Weather observers have been commenting on the strange wispy grey high cloud which came in yesterday, and is still around today, suggesting it is probably high level smoke haze being carried across the Atlantic from forest fires in Canada. This would be borne out by the extraordinary deep red sunset yesterday evening - one of those wow! moments that makes me wish I still had my camera. Apparently there's a tropical storm winding itself up in the Gulf of Mexico right now, which is expected to move north-west and make landfall over Houston, Texas, late tomorrow, and then hang around for at least 3 days. They're anticipating record-breaking rainfalls, spreading right along the G of M coastline!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Thanks for that, SA!!
                            Not a bad day at all yesterday. Muggy, I would say. A rather a dark cloud hung over Haywards Heath yesterday. Mrs.BBM walked and I went on my scooter! Not bad. Doing very well with my new motorised aid!
                            Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• DracoM
                              Host
                              • Mar 2007

Well, oop 'ere as I write it is thick rain, temp 12C, sneaky little breeze, barely see the fells.
                              Can't wait for that lovely Texan hurricane to check in on Bank Holiday Monday - not.
                              BUT
                              Denmark IKlassik radio soothing the lack of Vitamin D.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

... rather nice in west London - blue sky, occasional high cloud, light wind, ideal for a river walk in the sun.

Some people choose to live oop north, apparently...

Comment

Working...
                                X